[NFB-Krafters-Korner] [Fwd: The August issue of AccessWorld is now available on our website]

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Aug 5 15:42:38 UTC 2019

This month's issue of AccessWorld has articles for blind people running
their own businesses.  As it was a recent topic of discussion, I'm
forwarding the article list and links.
Tracy

Subject: The August issue of AccessWorld is now available on our website
From:    AFB AccessWorld <accessworld at afb.net>
Date:    Mon, August 5, 2019 10:22 am
To:       <carcione at access.net>

AFB American Foundation for the Blind
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=f68fd820b0&e=502a51ad37)
TM

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

The August issue of AccessWorld
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=241e7b9224&e=502a51ad37)
 is now available on our website.

This issue features:
* Editor's Page: AccessWorld Turns Its Eye to Self-Employment
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=0a83c40355&e=502a51ad37)
* Taking Care of Business with Two Blind Brothers, by Bill Holton
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=9c18873e23&e=502a51ad37)
Bradford and Bryan Manning are two blind brothers who built a highly
successful clothing business from the ground up. They have a wealth of
tips and suggestions for people with visual impairments who want to start
their own businesses.
* A Profile of Dr. Daniel Zingaro, Assistant Professor, University of
Toronto, by Deborah Kendrick
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=dcf3505d1b&e=502a51ad37)
Dr. Daniel Zingaro, a computer science professor at the University of
Toronto, is one sparkling example that the 30 percent of people with
visual impairments who have found successful and satisfying employment may
be growing.
* An Introduction to Slack, A Popular Chat App for Teams and Workplaces,
by J.J. Meddaugh
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=2815448857&e=502a51ad37)
Slack is one of the most popular internal communication apps, connecting
employees and teams within organizations quickly and efficiently. This
introduction takes a look at the program's accessibility.
* FreshBooks Makes Accounting Accessible for the Blind, by Jamie Pauls
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=d49d9bf4b8&e=502a51ad37)
You may be familiar with QuickBooks, accounting software that has seen
increased accessibility in recent years. In this article, we take a look
at another accessible accounting software package, FreshBooks.
* A Comparison of Speak! and Envision AI, Two Text and Object Recognition
Apps for Android, by Steven Kelley
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=c661ff7a0b&e=502a51ad37)
While the popular Seeing AI text and object recognition app is not yet
available on Android, other apps aim to close the gap. In this article, we
will look at a new entry in this field, the Speak! app and compare it to
the existing Android recognition app, Envision AI.
* Book Review: Dating in the Digital Age: An Accessible Journey for
Finding Love Online, by Kim Loftis, by Deborah Kendrick
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=8fa3a78abc&e=502a51ad37)
If you have been thinking about testing the online dating waters, Dating
in the Digital Age: An Accessible Journey for Finding Love Online, by Kim
Loftis, might be a good place to begin.

* AccessWorld News
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=a6a09074d6&e=502a51ad37)
* Letters to the Editor
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=de27a1625b&e=502a51ad37)

https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=ea3f546e68&e=502a51ad37

AccessWorld® is the American Foundation for the Blind's technology magazine.

unsubscribe
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=ec813cd965&e=502a51ad37)
.

Remove me immediately from all AFB lists
(https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=ec813cd965&e=502a51ad37&c=7c762a8254)
(you will no longer receive any messages from AFB if you click on this
link).