[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Looming for our KK afghan

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] terry.powers at nih.gov
Tue Dec 31 14:16:39 UTC 2019

Here is a patern I found that gives an estimate of how many stitches, per inch, for a small gage loom.  This might help anyone wanting to loom a rectangle for the afghan.

Terry

Garter Stitch Checks on a Knitting Loom

I love any version of the basket weave and the Garter Stitch Checks is on the top of that list. What can I say,  a few knits and purls has done it again. Super cool - super easy. Great for everybody, men, women and children. It is reversible so works for dishcloths, washcloths , scarves and blankets.

Pattern: Garter Stitch Checks

Pattern Notes: I don't like to add the edges on the pattern.  I feel they make it difficult for beginners. This pattern has a multiple of 10+5 (to even out the pattern)

Garter Stitch Checks

Stitches:  Purl and Knit- I used the U-wrap version of the knit stitch, you can use the True as an alternative. If you use the e-Wrap you will NOT get the nicely defined look of this pattern. If you use the Flat the knitting will get VERY tight and you'll have a lot of difficulty.

The pattern is the same flat or in the round.

Measurements: With a Small Gauge Loom and Worsted Weight Yarn: 6 Stitches and 16 Rows = 1 inch (2.54 centimeters = 1 inch)

Supplies
Loom: Any small gauge loom- I used KB Adjustable Hat Loom
Yarn: Worsted weight - I used Bernat Satin Solid in Teal
Hook: I used the one that came with the loom but I do suggest the KB Ergonomic Loom Hook

Row 1: Purl 5, Knit 5

Row 2: Knit

Row 3: Purl 5, Knit 5

Row 4: Knit

Row 5: Purl 5, Knit 5

Row 6: Knit

Row 7: Purl 5, Knit 5

Flip the pattern

Row 8: Knit 5, Purl 5

Row 9: Knit

Row 10: Knit 5, Purl 5

Row 11: Knit

Row 12: Knit 5, Purl 5

Row 13: Knit

Row 14: Knit 5, Purl 5

Repeat the 14 rows until you have the desired length.