[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Question

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Fri Jul 26 18:48:54 UTC 2019

Becky is correct.  It takes a lot of research and investigating into what
type of business you are thinking going into.  I did things a bit backwards
with this business I am in now, but I would not change the way I did things.
I actually went out and purchased an embroidery machine 3 years ago in
August and took a loan out for it.  The loan was for 5 years interest free.
Yes, that is putting the horse before the cart, but I never used an
embroidery machine before and had to be sure I could use it first.  I was
actually told by other people, "You can't use an embroidery machine as you
can't see.  I spent the first 6 months  waiting for a lesson and not even
taking it out of the box.  Yes, making my monthly payments.  I took a 2 day
embroidery course in the 4th month and decided I was determined to get what
I needed and learn how to use it.  So I contacted Baby Lock and told them
their manual was not accessible for a blind person and also told them I felt
waiting to be taught on this machine should not take so long as no one even
taught me how to thread the machine.  I received a phone call on the Monday
after writing Baby Lock over the weekend by the owner of the place I
purchased this new machine from.

I went in December to have my first one to one lesson on the machine and
didn't get to go into the original embroidery classes I was waiting for
until February.

I spent  the next year working on different embroidery things, learning the
machine, figuring out how to organize and label my color thread, purchase
threads and patterns and come up with a product that I think people would
want to purchase.

Two years after I brought the embroidery machine home I went to the NFB
Convention with my scarves and did the NFB Krafters half day Craft Market.
I had a good response  and sold 1/3 of the scarves I brought.  Within this
last year I made a decision on what to do about selling the scarves.

I do not have  transportation issues, but have thought of approaching the
local doggy salons.  I did do a craft fair that was run by a rescue group,
but then I decided to check out the online market places and decided to open
my Kane Kids Shop in Blind mice Mega Mall.

I had a crash course in Excel as that is how they do it there.  I never
learned how to use Excel and it was a bit of a struggle, but I learned it
within 6 weeks.  I decided to find a photographer to take my pictures of the
scarves.  Learned about mailing and ordering supplies that are free from the
Post Office  and how to get the Post Office to pick up packages and print
your own postage and labels.

Kane Kids Shop has been open for 2 weeks as of today and I have had one
order and shipped it out this week.  So, I just filled you in on starting a
business and what I needed to do.

Since the Blind Mice Mall is located in Texas, the Mall collects the sales
tax and takes care of that.

I have been in business on and off for the last 45 years and done the
bookkeeping and that for businesses.  So I did have that experience behind
me.
Joyce