[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Want to know Wednesday

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Thu Jun 13 17:10:57 UTC 2019

Well, I did do exactly that.  I had purchased an antique  sock machine and I was on this list for sock machines and everyone was talking about this 3 day sock machine retreat being held up in New Hampshire.  So I asked if anyone was driving thru Connecticut and would be willing to  pick up me and my Seeing Eye dog,  Corey. I got this reply back from a person whose name was Michael.  Now mind you I had no idea if Michael was male or female, but that was the only way I could get up there.  John was alive at that point  and he wasn't willing to drive me.  We corresponded back and forth via email and did not get to speak on the phone.  The day I was going to be picked up, I told John he had to be downstairs when I got picked up so he could check this person and car out.  I didn't know Michael was a she until she got out of the car and we introduced ourselves.

I had a wonderful 3 day retreat and everyone brought their sock machines and everyone pitched in helping each other.  What was so cool about this was they held it up where they had an old sock mill and some of the old sock machines they used for manufacturing socks.

When I traveled to India I had the chance to go in to a mill that they were weaving cotton type cloth for tables, etc.  What was so interesting there was all the people had sight inpairments.  They would not hire these blind people to work in the mills to produce cloths like this, but the people here were trained and were producing  the same products that the larger mills were.  Some of these folks were sitting on the floor spinning cotton thread with their  charkas.
Here is a video on how to spin cotton on a Indian charka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4uZu9yNboI

Joyce