[NFB-Krafters-Korner] OT: NFB News & Events

Tammy Freitag krafters.division.president at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 03:17:58 UTC 2020

News:
Presidential Release:
The audio and English transcript of the April live Presidential
Release are on the website at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases.

    Media Training for Leaders:
On Monday, April 13, at 3:00 p.m. eastern, participate in a Zoom
training to discuss how to talk to the media about the true issues we
face during this extraordinary time, best practices for media
interviews, how to increase our media impact, and more. We encourage
each affiliate to have a representative participate in the training.
If you plan to participate, please sign up by emailing Chris
Danielsen, director of public relations for the National Federation of
the Blind, at cdanielsen at nfb.org, or call him at 410-659-9314,
extension 2330. Once you’ve signed up you will receive the Zoom
conference details. This crisis presents many challenges, but also a
great opportunity to educate the media and the public about blind
people and our fight for equality. Let’s work together to take
advantage of it!

 Avoiding Disability-Based Discrimination in Treatment Rationing:
On March 28, 2020, the US Department of Health and Human Services
issued a bulletin entitled “Civil Rights, HIPAA, and the Coronavirus
Disease 2019 (COVID-19),” stating that “HHS is committed to leaving no
one behind during an emergency, and this guidance is designed to help
health care providers meet that goal.” Review the linked guidance
endorsed by organizations with expertise in federal disability rights
laws that provides a more detailed explanation of how the requirements
set forth in the HHS bulletin would apply, and how states and
health-care providers can take steps to modify policies and practices
to avoid disability discrimination.

 Demanding Equal Access to Drive-Through Services:
The National Federation of the Blind demands that restaurants, banks,
and other businesses, as well as drive-through COVID-19 testing
facilities, provide equal service to blind customers as required by
the Americans with Disabilities Act, whether the blind customer is on
foot or in a vehicle. Many businesses are offering drive-through
service only during the COVID-19 pandemic. Complaints indicate that
blind people are denied service to drive-through windows while on
foot. Read our recent news brief regarding this discrimination.

 Distance Education - Daily Activities Full of Fun and Learning:
The National Federation of the Blind is providing daily distance
education resources. From making scented playdough to chores to asking
questions about technology for distance education. Share the videos of
how-to activities and story time. Join the upcoming live, interactive
zoom lessons this week:

·       Tuesday, April 7, at 2:00 p.m. ET: Ask a Tech Trainer
Anything: Windows, Screen Readers, and Magnification

·       Tuesday, April 7, at 4:00 p.m. ET: Ask a Tech Trainer
Anything: iPhones and iPads

·       Thursday, April 9, at 11:00 a.m. ET: Apple Smiles

Access National Federation of the Blind Distance-Education Resources now.

 Flatten Inaccessibility Curve Survey:
The National Federation of the Blind joined many other organizations
in the field of blindness to develop and distribute a survey to
explore the increased accessibility barriers due to the coronavirus
crisis. Your feedback is needed. This survey may take thirty minutes
or longer, but it is critical in understanding the additional impact
COVID-19 is having on blind people. Take the Flatten Inaccessibility
Curve Survey today.

 April Issue of the Braille Monitor:
Check out the latest issue of the Braille Monitor, which includes a
full recap of the 2020 Washington Seminar, articles on autonomous
vehicles, honesty, and being a Federationist. Additionally, read
articles that spark discussion regarding the unknown, privilege, and
if the public is against us. And, try some of the delightful recipes
shared from Federationists. Read the April 2020 Braille Monitor.

 NFB-NEWSLINE Training on Amazon Echo:
On Thursday, April 9, at 8:00 p.m. eastern, the National Federation of
the Blind is hosting a training on how to enable the NFB-NEWSLINE®
skill and quickly and efficiently read your favorite publication using
the Amazon Echo. Zoom Meeting ID: 519 248 521,
https://zoom.us/j/519248521, one-tap mobile +16468769923,,519248521#.

 PR Briefings:
Leaders and members of the National Federation of the Blind are
receiving some requests from the media about the impact of COVID-19 on
our community. Reporters are often adopting the premise that we are
especially vulnerable during this time because we rely on our sense of
touch. We are explaining that tools like white canes mitigate the need
to touch objects directly, and that we are of course just as capable
of washing our hands as everyone else.

 We’re offering a virtual media training to discuss how to talk to the
media about the true issues we face during this extraordinary time,
best practices for media interviews, how to work with the national
office to increase our media impact, and more. The training will take
place via Zoom conference on Monday, April 13, at 3:00 p.m. eastern,
and we encourage each affiliate to have a representative participate
in the training. If you plan to participate, please sign up by
emailing Chris Danielsen, director of public relations, at
cdanielsen at nfb.org or call him at 410-659-9314, extension 2330. Once
you’ve signed up, you will receive the Zoom conference details. This
crisis presents many challenges, but also a great opportunity to
educate the media and the public about blind people and our fight for
equality. Let’s work together to take advantage of it!

 Dream Makers Circle State Affiliate Flyer Available:
We have developed a flyer specific to affiliates about planned giving
opportunities. You can now request a printable flier for your state
affiliate to use when speaking with people about leaving a legacy to
the Federation. Remember that whether a gift is given to our national
organization or one of our affiliates, the donor is inducted into our
Dream Makers Circle. To obtain the printable flyer, please reach out
to Suzanne Shaffer at sshaffer at nfb.org. For information about legacy
giving or our Dream Makers Circle, contact Patti Chang at
pchang at nfb.org.

Reminders:
Affiliate and Chapter Leader Training – Relationship Building:
We know that relationships are key to so much of what we do.
Fundraising is all about relationships. Networking is key to greater
advocacy and building public awareness. Marketing and communications
improve when we have forged strong relationships. As part of the
National Federation of the Blind’s strategic plan, our leaders will
share best practices, as well as receive training and tips regarding
building and stewarding relationships. We have three sessions planned
and you may sign up for any of the three. The first session will take
place on April 8, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. eastern. The second will take
place on April 9, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. eastern, and the third will be on
April 13, at 8:00 p.m. eastern.

Participants will connect via conference call. Please reach out to
Brie Darnall at bdarnall at nfb.org to sign up for one of the sessions
offered. Better relationship management will improve fundraising,
advocacy, marketing, and communications. Join other Federation leaders
to share your ideas and to learn more.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
·       April 15: Scholarship letter deadline

·       April 15: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award application deadline

·       April 19: Recurring Sunday night leadership Zoom call (no call
on April 12); 8:00 p.m. eastern

·       May 1: Distinguished Educator Award nomination deadline

·       June 21-27: NFB EQ; St. Paul, Minnesota

·       July 14-19: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

 Mark A. Riccobono, President

--
Tammy Freitag, President
NFB Krafters' Division