[NFB-Krafters-Korner] touchable Embroidery?

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:19:18 UTC 2020

Amy, I think you have found the right place. Crafters on this list do crochet, quilting, jewelry and more. I don't know anyone who does leatherwork on this list, but I do know those who do it. There are also many knitters here. Not too many blind people do a lot of hand embroidery because it is pretty visual, but learning new stitches should not be too difficult.

Threading needles is very doable without vision. There are a variety of needle threaders in fabric stores. The cheapest and oldest is a small piece of metal with a wire loop which passes through the eye of the needle. Then you put the thread through the loop and pull both back through the eye. If you start with a largish needle, you can practice and then move to a smaller one. I believe embroidery needles are small and longer than most sewing needles. I have not used these, but feel sure threading is possible. Some people need a little practice to get started. Some say other threaders are easier.

We have a member Joyce Kane, our former president, who does embroidery on a machine, and her work  is beautiful. I haven't seen posts from her recently, but if she is not sick, I know we can track her down. I am sure you will be hearing from others. My crafts are sewing and knitting and a little origami, but you will hear from people who do beading, crochet, quilting, etc.

The NFB Crafters Division is part of the National Federation of the Blind. We have conventions in each state each year and a national convention in the summer. However, Covid 19 is preventing those events right now. We have a website, a blog, a facebook page, but I am an internet dummy, so you will learn more about these from other people.
Cheers!
Ramona