[NFB-Krafters-Korner] OT: Updates from President Riccobono

Tammy Freitag krafters.division.president at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 22:59:26 UTC 2020

Dear Fellow Federationists,
 I hope that everyone had a great weekend. It feels to me like the
Federation is as busy as it has ever been despite social distancing
and the inability to gather in person. I am working to make sure our
team continues to bundle messaging to make it as easy as possible for
Federation leaders to deal with the mountain of information that seems
to come on a daily basis. If you have suggestions about what would be
better, please let me know. You all are making a great difference.
Thank you, keep it up, let me know what you need, and continue to
share information with me.

 Our 2020 National Convention change is obviously the biggest news.
Well over five hundred people registered for the convention within
forty-eight hours of our notice. Which of our affiliates will turn out
the biggest delegation for our 2020 gathering? The registration
numbers will be a race this year for this unprecedented opportunity to
grow the reach of our organization. Many of you have already sent
suggestions about the convention; thank you for being proactive. We
know members have questions and many we may not be able to answer yet
as the plans are coming together. Rest assured we will put together a
great program, we will maximize participation as best we can using
telephone and internet capabilities, and we will provide access to
more convention gatherings than ever before. Plan on setting aside
July 14-19 for this great event.

 While I was working on this letter, I received the news that Brian
Miller, a member from Virginia, passed away after a two-week battle
with the coronavirus. I know many of you have known Brian and have
been tracking his fight. I would invite you to raise a prayer for
Brian and his family and friends who are hurting tonight. I would also
ask you to send positive thoughts to so many other Federationists who
are dealing with the impacts of the virus.

 Please note some very important deadlines for April 15 and give them
your urgent attention. I especially urge you to submit nominations for
our Bolotin Awards.

Critical Actions:
Scholarships:
Since Friday’s announcement sharing the decision to hold our
convention remotely, quite a few people have reached out with
questions regarding the 2020 scholarship program. Be assured, the
National Federation of the Blind WILL award thirty students from all
over the country with our prestigious merit-based scholarships this
summer. Plans are already in the works to adjust the format of the
program so that it can be best suited for the remote convention. An
email was sent Friday to everyone who began a scholarship application,
reassuring them that the program would be going ahead, if not exactly
as originally planned, then in a way that is guaranteed to be dynamic,
interactive, and in the spirit of excellence that has always
characterized our scholarship process. State presidents, please help
us guarantee the best possible scholarship class by sending in or
uploading your presidents’ letters absolutely no later than April 15.
The committee needs your input, so please reach out to applicants in
your state. If your letters are ready, don’t wait! Send them in today.

Seeking Those Applying for SSDI Benefits:
We would like to speak with blind individuals who are currently
applying for SSDI benefits. This matter is time sensitive. Please have
such individuals contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org or
410-659-9314, extension 2440.

Presidential Releases: I will be recording another Live Presidential
Release on Friday, May 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. This will also be on
the Zoom platform, and the connection information will be send out
closer to the date of the release.

To access the recording or the English or Spanish transcripts of the
April Presidential Release, go to
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases.

    Register for National Convention:
Plan to attend the 2020 National Contention, July 14-19, from
anywhere. The National Federation of the Blind will hold its national
convention beginning July 14, 2020, with virtual events and local,
in-person gatherings where appropriate. The convention was originally
scheduled to take place in Houston, Texas. The change of plans is in
response to the public health, safety, and logistical concerns raised
by the COVID-19 pandemic. The official announcement was made last
week. The National Federation of the Blind is delighted to connect
blind Americans from anywhere to build opportunities everywhere. We
look forward to spreading the 2020 view on blindness to the entire
nation and beyond. Registration is now available at no cost. Register
today.

Legislative Update:
Even in the midst of a national emergency, the advocacy work of the
Federation cannot be stopped. As the world and our country adjust to
the threat of the coronavirus and Congress passes new laws to ensure
that life does go on, the National Federation of the Blind has the
critical task of making sure the systems that get put into place are
equal, fair, and above all, accessible. Just last week we sent two
letters to this effect.

 The first was a letter to the appropriate House and Senate Committees
urging them to ensure the nonvisual accessibility of vote-by-mail
systems that may be adopted for the upcoming state and federal
elections. In this time of crisis, it is absolutely essential that we
not lose focus on the idea that every American citizen deserves the
right to cast a private and independent ballot. This is one of the
core principles of our democracy, and it is a right protected by our
Constitution.

 The second was a letter to Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos urging
her to note in her required report to Congress that waivers for the
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act are not necessary. Waiving
the requirements of this important legislation now would set blind and
other disabled students back while their sighted and nondisabled peers
continue learning in virtual classrooms. This is utterly unacceptable.

 Additionally, we have worked hard to make sure we bring you the most
up-to-date information on the legislation being passed in the
coronavirus aid bills that may impact your daily lives. On our
COVID-19 resources page you can find important information on Economic
Impact Payments, expanded unemployment insurance, and a comprehensive
list of state special education guidance for schools.

 Also, please be on the lookout for a legislative alert. The National
Federation of the Blind is urging Congress to waive the five-month
waiting period for SSDI benefits during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are
also asking Congress to waive the associated twenty-four-month waiting
period for Medicare. The waiver would be for all beneficiaries who are
found eligible between March 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020.
Additional details will be included in the legislative alert.

 Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques: Zoom Meeting and Accessible Smart Home:
Accessibility boutiques are workshops presented by our access
technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best
practices and the latest trends in access tech. Previously offered
monthly, the National Federation of the Blind is now providing
accessibility boutiques weekly. Here is what is scheduled for this
week:

·       Tuesday, April 14, 2:00–3:30 p.m. eastern—How to Host a Zoom Meeting

·       Friday, April 17, 2:00–3:30 p.m. eastern—Tips and Tools for an
Accessible Smart Home

Learn more about accessibility boutiques and register today.

 New Blog Post: Uber, Lyft, and Service Animals: The Discrimination Continues:
After three years of implementation and monitoring, the National
Federation of the Blind’s settlement agreements with Uber and Lyft are
set to expire this summer. Progress has been difficult to measure, and
discrimination by rideshare drivers against travelers with service
animals continues. Read the recent blog post on the three year report
and next steps. We are still requesting feedback on both successful
rides and incidents of rideshare driver discrimination via the NFB’s
Rideshare Survey.

 In fact, we are requesting that members with service animals who
continue to be discriminated against by Uber drivers consider
providing a signed statement regarding their experiences. Please
contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org by April 17 if you are
able to help with this important next step in our effort to stop
discrimination by Uber drivers. Learn more at
https://www.nfb.org/rideshare.

 Distance Education—Daily Activities Full of Fun and Learning:
The National Federation of the Blind is providing daily distance
education resources from making pasta boxes to creating journals to
asking questions about technology for distance education. Share the
videos of how-to activities and story time. Join the upcoming live,
interactive Zoom lessons this week and participate in the great
activities. Learn more about the distance education resources.

 Kernel Books Series: Access Now:
The Kernel Books series is now available online. The National
Federation of the Blind's thirty-book series highlights the stories of
blind men and women, and goes beyond sentimentality and
misconceptions—to the very "kernel" of blindness. The books share
important messages delivered by witty authors who write about
intriguing, yet every day, situations. These stories allow for great
discussion during this time and are timeless. Access As the Twig Is
Bent, Like Cats and Dogs, Wall-to-Wall Thanksgiving, and all of the
Kernel Books today.

As part of the National Federation of the Blind’s strategic plan, our
leaders will share best practices, as well as receive training and
tips regarding building and stewarding relationships. Join us on April
13, at 8:00 p.m. eastern, for this training. Participants will connect
via conference call. Please reach out to Brie Darnall at
bdarnall at nfb.org to sign up for one of the sessions offered. Better
relationship management will improve fundraising, advocacy, marketing,
and communications. Join other Federation leaders to share your ideas
and to learn more.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
·       April 15: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award application deadline

·       May 1: Distinguished Educator Award nomination deadline

·       July 14-19: NFB National Convention, remote!

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

--
Tammy Freitag, President
NFB Krafters' Division