[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Increasing crochet scallops

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Apr 18 14:19:38 UTC 2020

I need some crochet advice.

I made a beanie, and it's supposed to have a brim that sticks out a bit.
The book calls it a sunhat brim.  The book has 1 round of crochet scallops,
which is 5 double crochets worked in a chain space, with a single crochet
between.  Then it has a round of half-doubles, and that's it.  However, that
gives me a brim of about half an inch, and I want it wider.

Can anyone tell me how to increase, keeping it flat, while maintaining the
scallop shapes?  Do I have to work another row of chain spaces, which I
think would make it floppy?  Or could I work an extra double in my 5
doubles, making it 6?

Hope someone knows.

Tracy