[NFB-Krafters-Korner] OT: 15 Easy Ways To Save Money On Groceries

Lea williams leanicole1988 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:39:10 UTC 2020

Hi.

I am a great shopper and I have a few tips.

My grocery store has an app and online shopping option. I go to the
store to shop but will use the app to make my shopping list so I can
compare prices myself and not depend on a shopper to try then over
look things. I do listen for alternatives they may have because
sometimes they find a better deal that may be packaged different than
I was looking for that works better.

I break things down to the unit price and go by the better option by
unit. The unit price is posted on the tag with the total price in
store on the shelves. The shopper may have a hard time finding it the
first time with most people not ever aware of it being an option.
A few pennies adds up to a dollar. My fiance laughs at me when I start
comparing prices that are $0.017 difference. He stops laughing when we
save $60 and pay about $50 on a cart full of groceries.

Who's got the last laugh now sweet heart?

I keep a running grocery list going.

As soon as I am out or nearly out I put it on the list. I have a lot
of things I keep stocked. There are things I will keep stocked up and
will buy more of when I only have one left in my kitchen. If it is
something I use a lot I keep an extra on hand so I never run out and
always have food at home to cook.

I tend to by produce eitherfresh or frozen and hardly canned. I find
it not only taste better, is healthier but can be a lot cheeper.
I hear people say eating healthy cost too much but it really doesn't
if you know how to shop for the items. The stores are set up to
display organic and more costly items first. One tip is to not stop
looking once you see the first thing but find what you are there to
get and do not cave in to the marking scams.

Skim over the weekly ads but don't necessarily use them as a shopping
guide. I look over the ads to see if I miss anything but find that
other items are cheaper and better option than the weekly ads offers.
example ribs may be on sell for $10 for a rack that generally would be
one meal for a family but pork loin can be $5 for about the same
amount of meat not including the bones of the ribs just the meat on
both. Pork tender loins are so tender and delicious if you season them
up with some ground chili powder, salt and pepper, and some fresh or
ground garlic. Toss them in the oven. Use them for all kinds of
dishes.

Keep healthy snacks such as fruit,, popcorn, yogurt and vegetables on
hand. I keep stuff to make raps or sandwiches for a more filling quick
lunch. I work from home and my fiance has been working from home too
so I keep things for him to snack on and easy things to cook for quick
meals.
I can chop up some onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, and toss them on
the stove. Put them to the side and scramble some eggs maybe 3 eggs.
Heat up a few corn tortillas and we have a filling healthy breakfast
that took me about 15 minutes to make.
add sausage or bacon if you wish.

 For lunch I may put together stir fry. The left over vegetables plus
some left over meat or small portion on something like a chicken
breast half, chopped up pork chop or shrimp can make a nice stir fry
to keep you going until dinner.

I love to use a table spoon of worcestershire sauce and soy sauce each
to marinate pork for this dish. I may use garlic and other spices for
other meats. Add celery, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and any thing
that needs to be used to fill it in.
Then for dinner I may make alfredo, of some kind or something a little
more filling because some of us really needs something a bit more
filling for a meal in a day.

On 4/29/20, Courtney F. Smith via NFB-Krafters-Korner

--
Lea Williams
Quality analyst

mailing address