[NFB-Krafters-Korner] I bought the wrong weight of yarn for the beginner loom knitting class.

englishrider91 at gmail.com englishrider91 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:14:40 UTC 2020

Hey, so I just went back to Michaels to purchase yarn and to return what I'd purchased earlier this week. I didn't like the yarn I'd originally purchased, which was Loops and Threads Charisma. Maybe it's just my particular experience with acrylic yarn, but I found that both the Charisma yarn and Red Heart's Soft yarn have a tendency to split.
Anyhow, I accidentally replaced the Charisma, which was a weight 5 yarn, with Bernat Baby Velvit, which is a weight 4. Will this still be okay for the class? Should I get a loom with smaller spacing than 5/8 inch? If so, what do you guys recommend? I'm looking at KB looms on Amazon. I picked up two loom sets from Michaels, both Loops and Threads brand, but I ended up returning both. After calling Aira to help me figure out the C2C spacing of the pegs for both sets, which wasn't listed anywhere on the packaging I feel this is stupid, since we list very straight-forward sizing on packaging for needles and crochet hooks), I returned both sets. The long looms set I got did have 5/8 inch spacing, but a lot of the pegs had rough mold marks where the yarn would snag badly. I know I could have probably fixed this by taking a nail file to them, but I've heard good things about the KB looms.

So, to cut a long story short, can I still use the Bernat Baby Velvit for the beginner loom knitting class? I really like how the yarn feels. It's so soft. I just want to curl up under it lol. And if I do use this yarn, which is weight 4, should I get a loom with smaller spacing, like 3/4 inch spacing?

Thanks,
Ari