[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Holiday Cookies: Galaxy Cookies

misslady0971 at gmail.com misslady0971 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 02:18:58 UTC 2020

I used to make these almost every Christmas.  I loved deciding what to put
in each cookie.  While my husband (and later my son) trimmed the tree, I
made cookies--oatmeal, galaxy, nut balls, lady fingers, sausage balls,
Russian tea cakes, I don't remember what all.  I left the tree alone
because, from the earliest days I can remember, someone was always
criticizing anything I did to the tree.  So after I could cook, I developed
my own schedule for tree-trimming time.  <g<  And after the tree was up and
the lights nice and cheery, we could have cookies with hot chocolate,
coffee, Russian tea, or apple cider for our bedtime snack.

Deb B.

Galaxy Cookies

As varied as the stars. So easy, so delicious are these cookies that look
like bonbons and there's a surprise center

1/2 cup butter softened

3/4  cup confectioner sugar

1 tbsp. vanilla

Food coloring if desired (optional)

1-1/2 cup all purpose flour (no self rising flour)

1/8 tsp. salt

dates, nuts, simi-sweet chocolate pieces, and candied or maraschino cherries
Icing below Heat oven to 350 and mix thoroughly the butter, sugar, vanilla
and a few drops of coloring. Work in flour and salt until dough holds
together. If dough is dry, mix in 1 to 2 tbsp. light cream. Mold dough by
tablespoon fulls around center piece. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on
ungreased cookie sheet. (Deborah says she always grease) Bake 12 to 15
minutes until set but not brown. Cool. Dip tops of cookies in icing. If
desired decorate. Coconut, nuts, colored sugar, candies chocolate pieces.

Icing: Mix one cup confectioner sugar 2-1/2 tbsp. light cream or 1-1/2 tbsp.

milk and 1 tsp. vanilla till smooth. If desired put in food coloring. For a
chocolate icing, increase light cream, to 3 tbsp. or milk to 2 tbsp and stir
in 1 ounce melted unsweetened chocolate. Cool.

Variations: Brown sugar galaxy Substitute 1/2 cup brown sugar packed for
confectioners and omit food color.

For chocolate cookies: Omit food coloring and stir in 1 ounce melted
unsweetened chocolate (cool) into butter mixture.