[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Want to Know Wednesday

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 18:05:10 UTC 2020

Portic, my machine is totally accessible to set up for basic items in stockinet knitting. It is totally mechanical. You can get computerized machines, but I did not want one more thing that is computerized to fight with. My only challenge for fancier things is to remember exactly what to do, and those patterns are almost as time consuming as hand knitting. There are ways to make patterns, but I generally prefer to let the yarn make the patjerns: verigated or stripes are simple. Since I like to design ne. things, I like to get them done, too.  I also do borders by hand. Becky Frankeburger has more equipment and training than I and could tell you more. The best part of the machine is that it keeps me on my feet and active. Hand knitting  in my recliner is very relaxing, but not so good for the wasteline and the hips and shoulders. My machine is a Silver Reed from Germany I think and not made any more. I believe Joanne's still carries a relatively inexpensive machine  that is entirely mechanical, but I do not recommend it. Stitches do not stay in place very well. I think my machine is at least ten years old. I bought it from a fellow Morgan Hicks  in Seafftle that Becky recruited for a presentation on a Monday night chat. Since my daughter lives in Seattle, I was able to go there. There are other stores that handle machines and people who run seminars, rather expensive. Since there is one in Seattbbe, one in Oregon and at least one in California, I am sure that large cities in the East also have them. but I don't think you will find much in smaller cities. I do very much enjoy my machine and have turned out a lot of stuff on it: sweaters, prayer shawls, gift bags, pillows, and at least one full-sized afghan. All required some hand work to start and finish. Those who have fancier machines do not need to do as much hand-work. There is a carriage that goes back and forth to do the knitting. Fixing errors is a challenge. I usually end up removing the  item from the machine; doing the repair by hand; and putting it back on. There are ways to do the fixes on the machine, but I somehow am not very good at it.

That's about all I can tell you. I would not have gone on so long, but if you have not seen a machine, you might find some of this interesting.
Ramona