[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Whip stich?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jun 17 11:54:00 UTC 2020

As I understand it, you put your 2 pieces together with the right sides
together, on the inside.  Then you bring your needle up from the bottom
through the first holes (which are together).  You flip your needle down and
bring it up again through the next holes.  You could do this the same,
working from the top down, whatever you like.
What you're doing is wrapping the yarn around the outside of the seam, which
is why it's called the whip stitch.

I only recently started sewing pieces together.  I worked seamless for a
long time, and I think I'll go back to that when I can.  The stitch I was
taught to sew pieces together is the matress stitch, which is a bit more
complicated than the whip stitch, and probably takes a bit longer to work.
I don't know if either stitch has some advantage in neatness, sturdiness, or
smallness of seam.  I'd be interested in opinions on the subject.
Tracy