[NFB-Krafters-Korner] What to include when reporting a website as inaccessible

Dixie cobaltblueheron at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:54:55 UTC 2020

When sending in a notification to a website about inaccessibility, make sure that you include the following:
1.  What operating system are you using?  Such as Windows 10 and what update you're using.
2.  What access technology you're using and again, what version?  NVDA?  Narrator?  Jaws? Version number?
3.  What browser are you using?  Internet Explorer?  Edge? Google Chrome? Mozilla Firefox?  Again, be sure to include the version number.
4.  Finally state exactly what web page you're on, and what steps you went through and where the snag is occurring.  Such as on www.krafterskorner.org/snafus
I went to the heading level 1 and was unable to access the combo box just below that heading.

This gives the programmers concreate steps to follow to find and remedy the issues.

Just stating that I went to your website and found it inaccessible is not helpful.

Most of these websites have many, many pages and what is working on one page may not be coded correctly on another page.   The programmers need to know exactly where to look for improperly coded information.  You're reporting the exact location of a problem helps them find and correct it much more accurately and quickly.

Sometimes a problem will show up in one browser and not another.

I'll tell you right now, most will no longer make updates to work with Internet Explorer, as it is now obsolete.  So if you're having trouble while using that browser, my first suggestion is to try accessing the same page with Chrome or Firefox.

Dixie who has worked for Yale University as an Accessibility Evaluator of their website.
@-> + <-@