[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Ball winder's

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun May 17 13:30:01 UTC 2020

I bought a swift and a winder from knitpicks.com.  It takes a bit of
monitoring, but it's pretty easy to use.
The swift always makes me think of an umbrella, because of the way you
unfold it.  When it's closed, it's like a folded umbrella.  When you push up
the hub in the middle, it unfolds into a kind of big box made of sticks.
You untie the skein and drape it around the sticks, and adjust the know so
it's securely held out.  Then you take the end and thread it into the
ball-winder, and start turning the crank on the winder.  The yarn wraps
around the tall peg on the winder, and the swift spins around smoothly
releasing more yarn.  The only tricky bit is getting the process started so
the yarn winds around the peg, instead of wrapping itself where you don't
want it.
It's useful to have if you often use skeins that aren't already wound into
balls, and don't have anywhere nearby to do the winding for you.

I use my slate to either write on the tag attached to the skein, then stick
it in the center when it's wound, or I write on a bit of paper and either
stick it in the center of the ball or under the wrapper.  I like to pull
from the outside.  If I was a center puller, I guess I'd stick the label
under the yarn on the outside.
Tracy