[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Knitting charts

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Nov 1 13:31:23 UTC 2020

I was all excited about my next project, which was a blanket made of picture
squares about New Jersey.  Then I found out that all the squares are
charted, no written instructions at all.  Really, why do dishcloths,
essentially, need to be charted!  I'd like to get my hands on whoever
decided that and give her a good shake.

The owner of my local yarn store found a  website that says it has software
to convert charts to written instructions, but neither of us can figure out
how to make that happen.  I've written to them twice now, asking how it's
done, but have yet to get any answer.  The conversion software is only
available to paid members, but it's only $3, so I forked over my one-month
fee, but it still doesn't work.  If anyone else wants to have a go, the site
is stitchfiddle.com.  Really, even if I had to have AIRA spend a few minutes
marking which symbol means what, it would be fantastic, but I can't even get
that far.

Then I found another site that also says it can convert, but the input it
wants is a picture, a .jpg or .jpeg file, and what I have is .pdf.

I wish I knew how to write OCR software.  I'd write the darn thing myself.
It doesn't seem ridiculously hard.  But, though I'm a programmer, I'm not
that kind of programmer.

Anyway, if anyone knows of software that can convert from chart to written,
or even from chart into characters that a computer or braille display can
recognize, I'd love to know about it.

Tracy