[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Dues cost of a class!

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 00:35:23 UTC 2021

The last class that I took was around 10 years ago.  I really wanted to go
in the evening as my friends worked during the day and they were offering it
on Saturday afternoon.

This was a yarn shop in my town.  I asked about having another during the
week in the evening.  I was told by the owner that if could get 3 people
they would approach the teacher.  It was a 3 week class and the class would
cost $60 each person.  I got my two friends to sign up and that also
guaranteed me a ride back & forth.

Now let me tell you it was a class knitting a tote bag using wool and other
textured yarns.  Now let me tell you that for supplies each of us spent
between $120 & $140 four yarn and needles  Remember the class cost each of
us $60.  When we finished the class all of us knitted the totes, but none of
us had thrown them in that hot water & washed to "felt" them.

We met up at Priscilla's house and basically talked about how crazy the
three of us was to pay all that money and not finish the project.  That is
why got together to try some of Priscilla's wine and get up the nerve to
toss them in her washing machine and felt these tote bags.

Let me tell you by the time it went thru the washing machine & we went thru
her bottle of wine, none of us wanted to bring this wet tote bag home.  So
after the snacks, ho did I tell you we tossed them bags in the dryer, and
those of us who drinks coffee & I with my diet Coke, we all went down to
check out how the bags turned out.

Priscilla was pleased with hers, but had to go back to the yarn shop and
purchased a $6 button. Lorraine felt she wanted to rewet it and felt it more
and I left it just the way it was and is still hanging on the back of my
bedroom door.  I have used it as it has John's death certificate in it as I
needed copies to submit at our town hall.

The yarn shop is no longer in our town.  The owner moved down south some
place, so maybe when I am visiting SC, who knows I might run into her.

The best part of this class was the free class held at Priscilla's house.

My dear friend, Priscilla died shortly after John died and I got out of the
rehab center where I was recovering  from a broken ankle to go to her wake
which was held in the same room in the funeral pallor as  John's funeral
took place.

Tender memories...

Joyce Kane
 Kane Kids Shop