[NFB-Krafters-Korner] OT: [NFB-Division-Leaders] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 04/26/2021

krafters.division.president at gmail.com krafters.division.president at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:54:33 UTC 2021

I thought I would share this with you since it has a lot of good information.

Tammy

Dear Federation Family,

My words are few as there is a lot happening, as you will find below. Note there are a number of time sensitive items below. There are also a number of new initiatives that require our affiliates to consider and coordinate with our national movement. All I can say is thank you for continuing to build and strengthen our movement every day. We could not sustain this level of impact and raising expectations without your leadership.

Critical Actions:

Strengthening our Blind Parents Network:

We are attempting to strengthen the coordination of our efforts to support blind parents across the country. If your affiliate has an individual who is formally or informally serving as a point of contact for organizing and mentoring blind parents in your affiliate, we want to know. Our Blind Parents Group, chaired by Lisamaria Martinez of California, would like to have a complete contact list for sharing information and bringing more activities and resources to scale across the nation. Please send the name and contact information (email/phone) for the point person you have in your affiliate to  <mailto:cjones at nfb.org> cjones at nfb.org as soon as possible. If you do not have a person doing this now, consider whether or not you have a person who could help build your affiliate by serving as a resource for sharing information about our blind parents network.

Door Prizes:

We are accepting door prizes for the 2021 National Convention. We request cash donations so that we can distribute gift cards and gift certificates as prizes. Cash donations make it easier to create prize groups and to distribute prizes from one location. Please make your checks payable to National Federation of the Blind and write Door Prizes in the memo. Mail the check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing the check this way, we will easily identify it as a door prize and process it accordingly. You should also send an email to  <mailto:prize at nfb.org> prize at nfb.org to let us know you are sending a contribution for the door prizes and the full name of the organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we recognize your organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Bridgid Burke ( <mailto:bburke at nfb.org> bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks ( <mailto:bhooks at nfb.org> bhooks at nfb.org or extension 2508) with any questions. We discourage everyone from making door prize donations through the nfb.org/donate page; however, if a door prize donation is received through this page, we will reduce the donation by 3 percent to help us offset the credit card transaction fees. We are looking forward to another informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

News:

Legislative Activity:

There is a lot happening with our advocacy and policy work. Along with several new cosponsors on the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212) and the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373), there will likely be an amendment introduced today or tomorrow to the Endless Frontiers Act (S. 1260) regarding autonomous vehicles. Pending our analysis of the final language, we anticipate supporting this amendment. Please watch for possible legislative alerts later this week.

Climate Assessment Survey Coming This Week:

As mentioned in  <https://nfb.org/blog/open-letter-safety-and-support-progress> the April 15 open letter from President Riccobono, the National Federation of the Blind has extended our partnership with RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN will develop and administer an anonymous survey to collect feedback directly from our diverse community, including members and nonmembers, to better understand the experiences, needs, and concerns of our community as they relate to sexual misconduct. The survey is expected to be released on Wednesday, April 28, and may take up to thirty minutes. There will be a web version on Survey Monkey and an automated phone option for completing the survey. Stay tuned for more details.

Participate on Potential Radio Project:

The National Federation of the Blind is exploring a potential pilot streaming-audio project to inform, inspire, and entertain members and potential members. The initial plan is to start by using our large existing audio library in a way that allows simple access at any time of day or night, similar to an online radio station. If you have technical expertise or content ideas and/or are interested in participating in an ad-hoc group for this project, send an email to  <mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org> communicationsteam at nfb.org. Please include any relevant background about you, why you think this potential resource might be useful, and/or any recommendations you have.

National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct now on NFB-NEWSLINE®:

The NFB Code of Conduct and a list of frequently asked questions regarding the code is now available on NFB-NEWSLINE. You will find both audio and text versions using the telephone access method, by selecting option one from the main menu, followed by another press of the one key for the NFB National Channel, then following the prompts. To access this content on the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile app, go to the “Information Sources” page and select the “All Publications” link. The NFB Code of Conduct is the first publication in the list.

New Mobile Ballot Marking Platform by GlobalMobile:

A new mobile ballot marking platform to mark and return ballots using a smartphone has been developed by GlobalMobile. We are working with GlobalMobile to ensure that the platform is accessible. Please be advised that GlobalMobile may also reach out to our affiliates to provide feedback on the platform or to participate in a meeting they have arranged with your secretary of state. It is important that affiliates coordinate their participation with our national office staff. If your affiliate decides to participate in these meetings, please let us know, and please bear in mind that in our advocacy efforts for accessible electronic ballot delivery and return we do not endorse a particular platform. To discuss coordination of efforts or to get other questions answered about this work, feel free to contact either Lou Ann Blake at  <mailto:lblake at nfb.org> lblake at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2221, or Jeff Kaloc at  <mailto:jkaloc at nfb.org> jkaloc at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2206.

Spring 2021 College Board AP Exams:

High school students who encounter barriers with their Spring 2021 College Board AP Exam accommodations, and/or have been told that Braille or tactile graphics are not available for exams, are encouraged to contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at  <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> vyingling at nfb.org.

National Telecommuting Institute:

The National Federation of the Blind, on behalf of itself, an NFB member, and all similarly situated individuals, has filed a complaint with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination against National Telecommuting Institute (NTI) for NTI’s discrimination against blind job applicants who use screen access software and other assistive technology. If you have applied for a job through NTI and similarly been denied employment because you use screen access software, or if you wish to work from home doing customer service work and are willing to apply with NTI, please contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at  <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> vyingling at nfb.org.

Amazon Fulfillment Center Employment:

As it relates to our recent agreement with Amazon, the National Federation of the Blind is hoping to speak with individuals who have had workplace accommodations denied, been placed on unpaid leave, and/or otherwise experienced discrimination related to Amazon fulfillment center employment. Please contact Valerie Yingling at  <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> vyingling at nfb.org to report your Amazon fulfillment center experience.

Presidential Release Next Week—Captioning and Spanish Available:

Tune in to the next Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind on Monday, May 3, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to  <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR505 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation will be available. Mark your calendars!  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?&reset=1&id=455> Learn the many ways to access the presidential release. Try listening to the live stream on your favorite Amazon device by asking Alexa to play Nation’s Blind.

Facebook Live this Wednesday for NFB BELL® and NFB EQ:

Join the National Federation of the Blind on Wednesday, April 28, at 1:30 p.m. eastern, to learn about some of the materials we will be sending out for the summer programs,  <file://10.10.10.14/home/pmiller/Proofreading/Beth/nfb.org/bell> NFB BELL and  <file://10.10.10.14/home/pmiller/Proofreading/Beth/nfb.org/eq> NFB EQ. NFB BELL will have three virtual sessions over the summer for blind children ages four to twelve. NFB EQ is a month-long virtual program during July for blind high school students. Registration for both programs is still open. Deadlines are approaching in early May.  <https://fb.me/e/4rxvCXTNJ> Learn more about the Facebook Live event.

Blind Driver Challenge Initial Test Runs April 30 to May 2:

As part of the Blind Driver Challenge, the National Federation of the Blind and Cruise Automation are collaborating with Federationist Dan Parker to build and operate a car to attempt to break the Guinness Book World Record for the “Fastest Speed for a Car Driven Blindfolded” in the fall of 2021, anticipating reaching a speed of over two hundred miles per hour. This coming weekend, April 30 to May 2, Dan will be doing several test runs in Blytheville, Arkansas. Stay tuned for more details coming at  <file://10.10.10.14/home/pmiller/Proofreading/Beth/BlindDriverChallenge.org> BlindDriverChallenge.org.

Partnering and Accessibility:

We believe that accessibility is important, and we urge our national partners to improve their accessibility, too. We should also keep this in mind when we are partnering and looking for speakers at the local and state level. Calling out the truth about an inaccessible web page in a private and polite manner is appropriate. Keep in mind that if we invite organizations to present to our members whose websites are not fully accessible, we are not being true to our brand or our mission. Let's make sure we tell those we work with when their websites are not accessible to us.

California DMV Kiosks to Become More Accessible:

The National Federation of the Blind and three blind Californians have collaborated with the California Department of Motor Vehicles and Intellectual Technology, Inc., a provider of self-service kiosks, regarding accessibility features for DMV Now kiosks utilized in California.  <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/california-dmv-kiosks-become-more-accessible-blind> Read and share the press release

Reminders:

Give $20 Convention Drawing:

Each year, thousands of Federation members and friends make donations to fund our great programs. Your continued support is needed. When you participate in the  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=20749&qid=5147870> Give $20 campaign you will be entered into the Give $20 convention drawing (formerly known as the Kenneth Jernigan convention drawing) AND help our work to change lives for blind people across the country.

How to Contribute and Qualify:

Please note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for contributions by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

You must specify a fund in order to be entered into the drawing. You can do this by using our  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45> Give $20 online donation form or writing in the memo if giving by check. Choose one of the following funds: Kenneth Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund, White Cane Fund, or the tenBroek Fund. Your donation will be counted for the drawing regardless of which fund you designate.

*         <https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45> Donate online now.

*        Donate via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314, extension 2282.

*        Send a check to Attention: Give20, National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. Be sure to have "Give 20" and the fund you are donating to in the memo.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	May 1:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award> Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award nominations deadline
*	May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	May 7:  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy> NFB BELL Academy application deadline (for session one)
*	May 10:  <http://www.nfb.org/eq> NFB EQ application deadline
*	June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>