[NFB-Krafters-Korner] OT dog class

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 23:49:55 UTC 2021

When I went there in 2007 to Seeing AI, I thought that training was a little too fast paced for me. I need a lot of repetition with routes. The The dog they gave me was a really neat dog but she had aggression toward other dogs. So it didn't work out. My face and guide dogs wasn't so strong after that but then when I went to Guiding Eyes a year later, I was pleasantly surprised. I would never go anywhere else. I have my retired guide now as a pet and when I get my new one, it will be dog number five.

Leslie Hamric
Cello and Braille Music Teacher
Board member of National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division
Vice President of National Federation of the Blind of Illinois At Large Chapter

> On Dec 22, 2021, at 4:48 PM, Ericka via NFB-Krafters-Korner <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Berniece my husband says the same thing. He went there twice. The first seeing eye dog and he worked as an awesome team. After his first dog passed he got another one. She was all social and not much work. It wasn’t really safe for him to have her. He tried leash correction but to no avail and he kept springing his ankle and stuff. Needless to say Laura is back with her puppy raiser family and my husband has lost faith and guide dogs. I was bitten by a dog once as a child though I did deserve it and really don’t feel  comfortable getting a dog. I don’t think I would use the dog as much as they should be worked. Does anyone know where you can get a dog that’s for people with more than one Disability? I have epilepsy and some balance issues besides being Low Vision. When I lose more of my vision as I age  or whatever the cause I might consider.
>
> Good luck to all waiting on getting into training programs to get new dogs!
>
> Ericka Nelson
>
>> On Dec 22, 2021, at 3:20 PM, Bernice Bird via NFB-Krafters-Korner <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> We all have our preferences, but I love Seeing Eye,. When I went for my second dog from there, I felt like I was coming home to visit family.
>> Bernice

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/carci
>>> one%40
>>> access.net

>>> account? You can still follow Krafters Korner on Twitter. Go to:
>>> Twitter.com/craftingblind To unsubscribe, change your list options or
>>> get your account info for
>>> NFB-Krafters-Korner:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/terry
>>> powers