[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Introduction

Ray Wright metaltipman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 01:06:39 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your welcoming words. I am excited to be part of
this group. I hope to be able to contribute and share any knowledge I
might have to all of you.

For those of you who live in apartments and condos, don't let this
stop you from thinking you can't do woodworking due to space
restrictions. I have some former students that, after taking my class,
bought a lathe and a few hand tools  and  now make their own gifts for
family and friends. One student I had is renting a storage unit near
his room that he rents and uses it as his woodshop. He sets up at a
local farmer's market every weekend and sells enough to pay for the
rent on his storage space and makes a little extra too. Another
student I had lives in a small apartment. She bought a mini lathe and
the necessary tools to make pens and keychains. She bought a large
tarp to collect the sawdust and puts it over her small chest freezer
and uses the freezer as a workbench. She started selling her pens at
local craft fairs and now sells them at many different art shows,
Christmas boutiques and festivals. Where there's a will, there's a
way.

I was looking forward to meeting Roger in person when our Woodworking
for the Blind group was planning a workshop in Calgary last year, but
the pandemic put the end to that for the time being. I met George
Wurtzel at the Enchantment Hills Camp in Napa Valley, California a few
years ago. He hosted our annual WW4B workshop a couple of times. We
learned a lot from each other. I hope to make it out to see him and
his new shop in Tennessee one day.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to
answer. As I said earlier, I love to share what little knowledge I
might have with all of you.

Also, I hope to put some items up for sale on this list too.
All my best,

Ray

On 7/11/21, Jillbilly4 via NFB-Krafters-Korner