[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Sewing patterns - basic supplies

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Jul 17 13:47:39 UTC 2021

Hi Christina.
Welcome to the list!  No need to be shy.
My mom always cut out patterns with pinking shears, and she gave me a good
pair some time.  Pinking shears make little ripples in the edge, which, as I
vaguely recall, helps the edge not to unravel.
I have a tactile tape measure.  I think I got it from Independent Living,
ILA, but I think it's pretty common.  It might be available from the NFB
Independence Market.  It's 5 feet long and has a big rivet every inch, and
smaller rivets at every half-inch.  It's not totally precise, but it's easy
to use and measures well enough for my needs.
You also need needle threaders.  I forget where I bought mine.  Mine are
pretty cheap, and tend to break after a while.  People here have recommended
a sturdier kind that works well for threading a sewing machine, so maybe
someone will chirp up again, and this time I'll write it down properly.
Tracy