[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Question about a pattern

Lovette Yewchan lyewchan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:54:22 UTC 2021

Hi there. This pattern might belong to someone on this list, so if that is the case and I should not have shared it, please forgive me.
I really like this pattern, but I did not save who wrote it.
I am struggling though after the stitch holders have stitches on them.
You are to do seed stitch for 20 rounds but you have the wrong number of stitches. Then you do the decreases assuming there is an even number because it says you will have a mirror image of six on each side after decreasing. SO where do we go from odd to even and how does this work?
Hope someone can help.
Here is the pattern. Again, forgive me if this is someone’s and I don’t have their name.
Lovette

Materials: Worsted weight yarn.I got 2 mittens (easily) out of a 100 g.
skein. I used Karen Simply Soft for my first try and then Encore Colorspun
for the second. Both worked fine. The colorspun seems a little lighter,
though.
Size 4 (3.5 mm)and 6 (4.5 mm) circular needles. Size 6 dp or straight
needles for the flap.
2 Stitch holders and 2 ring markers

Gauge: Approximately 4 sts to the inch in seed stitch with size 6 needles
but it isn't critical.

With size 4 ndls and worsted weight yarn, cast on 36 sts, join carefully,
and single rib for 20 rounds. (or more if you want a longer cuff)
Single rib circularly on an even number of sts is k1, p1 around for every
round.

Change to size 6 ndls and k 1 row, dec 1 st at center.35 sts.
Work 9 rounds of seed st. (or more if you want a longer cuff)
Pattern rounds:
1: k1, *p1, k1 to end.
2: P1, *k1, p1 to end.
You'll end by working round 1.(with an odd number of sts, you'll just keep
on alternating between k and p sts for seed in the round. You'll finish
round 1 with a k sts, sl the beg of round marker and start round 2 with a p
st.)

Start the thumb gusset:
work 17 sts in established seed st pat, (you'll start this round with p1.)
place marker, (k, p, k) into the next st, place marker, work 17 sts in seed
st.
NR: (keeping in seed stitch pattern, starting the round with k1) Work 17,
slip marker, p1, k1, p1 slip marker, pattern to end.
NR: work 17, slip marker, inc in the first and last stitch between markers
being careful to keep the seed st pattern.(here you'll start the round with
p1 so when you slip the marker, you'll k1 and p1 in the first st, p1, then
p1 k1 in the third st)
NR: work 17, slip marker, p1, (k1, p1) twice, slip marker, work 17.
Continue in this manner till you have 13 sts between the markers and work
one more round even.
When you do seed in the round, you do the opposite on each round. If round
one has kpk between the markers, round 2 will have pkp.

Thumb:
Work 18, slip 11 sts to a holder, work to end.
NR: work 17, p2 tog, work to end.

Start the flap:
For right mitten, work 19, slip next 15 sts to another holder,  turn and
cast on 17 stitches, k1. You have 37 sts on the needle.
For left mitten, k1, slip 15 stitches to a holder, turn and cast on 17, turn again so you are working in the original direction and seed
st to end.
NR: At each end of the cast on section you will work 2 sts together. This
keeps it nice and neat. For the left mitten, work 19, k2 tog, work 13, k2
tog, p1. For the right mitten, p1, k2 tog, work 13, k2 tog, finish in seed
stitch.

for the next 20 rounds k1 p1 on row one and p1 k1 on round two
				Dec round 1: K2 tog, p2 tog, (k1, p1) tosl
marker, K2 tog, p2 tog,  (k1, p1) to end of round.

.4 sts decreased.
Dec round 2: (P1, k1) to last st before marker, p1, slip marker, (p1, k1) to
last st, p1
Dec round 3:  As Dec round 1
IDec Round 4: Work in seed stitch even, (p1, k1) around.
Rep these four rows 3 times.12 sts rem, 6 for each "mirror" section.
Remove halfway marker and k2 tog around.
Cut yarn and thread through these 6 sts pulling up tight and fastening off.

(here you'll have to use either double points or straight needles to work
back and forth on the flap.)
Now, go back to the flap stitches. Put them onto a size 6 straight or double
pointed needle and join yarn. Work 14 rows of seed stitch, this time
starting and ending with a p stitch. Cast off loosely.
Sew the flap to the inside of the mitten.

Return to the 11 thumb stitches with a circular or dp needles, pick up 1 st
from the hand part at the base of the thumb,  and work 12 rounds. You will
start with P1 and end with k1.  Even though you want this to be seamless, it
might be easier to work the thumb flat.
Last round: K2 tog around. Cut yarn and thread through these 6stitches,
pulling tight. Sew seam if you did the thumb flat.

For a man's mitten, cast on 40 stitches and rib for 25 rounds.
Dec 1 st at center of next round for 39 stitches. You will work the mitten
the same way  as above.
Thumb gusset will inc to 15 sts and the thumb will be worked on 14 sts.
The flap is worked on 17 sts.
You have to work dec rows 1 and 2 again for the top shaping.
This mitten fit my husband.

_._,_._,_
Groups.io <http://groups.io/> Links:

View/Reply Online (#43722) <https://groups.io/g/accesscrafts/message/43722> |  Reply To Group <mailto:accesscrafts at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5Baccesscrafts%5D%20Pattern%20need%20help> | Reply To Sender <mailto:lyewchan at gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5Baccesscrafts%5D%20Pattern%20need%20help> |  Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/87041248/5268286> | New Topic <https://groups.io/g/accesscrafts/post>