[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Starlight Mint Surprise Cookies

marianne at denningweb.com marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Dec 18 04:46:32 UTC 2022

This was my absolute favorite cookie when I was growing up. This recipe was
the Pillsbury bakeoff winner in 1949. The original recipe called for dark
chocolate mint wafers but these are no longer available so most people use
Andy’s Candys. If you want to create your own mint chocolate wafers you need
to place 3 or 4 drops of mint oil (not mint extract) in a zip lock bag and
add your dark chocolate wafers. Shake them In the bag and allow to set
overnight to absorb the mint flavor. I purchase my mint wafers from
Michaels. You can also use pecan halves instead of walnut halves. I hope you
enjoy them as much as I do.

*        1cup granulated sugar

*        1/2cup packed brown sugar

*        3/4cup butter or margarine, softened

*        2tablespoons water

*        1teaspoon vanilla

*        2eggs

*        3cups Pillsbury BEST® all-purpose flour

*        1teaspoon baking soda

*        1/2teaspoon salt

*        60thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies (from three
4.67-oz packages), unwrapped

*        60walnut halves or pieces

Steps

*        1

In large bowl, beat sugars, butter, water, vanilla and eggs with electric
mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until blended. On low
speed, beat in flour, baking soda and salt until well blended. Cover with
plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours for easier handling.

*        2

Heat oven to 375°F. Using about 1 tablespoon dough, press dough around each
chocolate candy to cover completely. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased
cookie sheets. Top each with walnut half.

*        3

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from
cookie sheets to cooling rack.