[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Board Changes

mother27dragon at gmail.com mother27dragon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:30:52 UTC 2022

Dear NFB Crafters Board and members,

For the past several years, I have been a member of the crafters division,
as well as the 2nd vice president.  I have learned, taught and engaged with
many of you through the numerous classes and activities. Although it has
been good, it is time for me to move on.  I am writing this letter so  there
is no question or gossip as to why I have chosen to no longer be a part of
this division.

The National Federation of the Blind is a huge part of my life and has been
for the past seven years.  I have grown immensely and continue to gain
knowledge from all the different NFB opportunities.  One area that is vital
for continued growth for everyone is diversity, equity and inclusion.  The
NFB strives to include everyone from all races, ethnicity, religion, gender
identity, age, etc.  Equity for all is providing opportunities that all can
partake in, regardless of any differences.  This is truly what makes our
community diverse.

As a division of the NFB, Krafter's Korner proclaims diversity, equity and
inclusion.  However, regarding the socio-economic status of many, those that
are lower income are not provided equity in the cost of the dues for this
division.  Keeping the annual dues above $10 excludes many, not providing
equity for all.  This has been a concern of mine for several years and I
have tried to get this changed. Although the dues decreased this year,
bringing the dues to $15, taking away the fund raising part of the dues, it
is still higher than other divisions and chapters. Too many individuals do
not join the division, as this does bring about great burden, if you are on
a fixed income, which many blind individuals are.  A scholarship fund is
available for those that cannot afford the dues, but this is not acceptable.
A fund to assist others to pay their dues is strange, as dues shouldn't be
placed so high that even require some to receive a scholarship.  This is a
one time scholarship and is controlled by only one person, with no checks or
balances.  This is not equity to me and does not feel inclusive.

With this, I will no longer be participating in the crafters division of the
NFB or in any other crafting group.  There are many individuals I will miss,
but I cannot be a part of a division that does not meet my criteria needed
for diversity, equity and inclusion.  I will always stand for what is right,
even if I stand alone.

Thank you all for the past few years of learning.

K. ReNae Anderson