[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Easy Christmas craft ideas for folks with fabric die cutting machines

Tammy Roussell Tammy.Roussell at mitsykit.org
Thu Nov 17 21:09:07 UTC 2022

Hello all, thought I would share some Christmas fabric die cut crafts that you might enjoy!

Here is a fabric die-cutting, no-sew project idea that is fun to make. I will be including these instructions on my Youtube channel as well for those who like audio/videos.

The following instructions can be used to make Christmas ornaments or Key Ring Ornaments:

  1.  Pick out a small die that cuts a shape you would like to use for a Christmas ornament or Key ring ornament. Take some pretty cotton fabric and hand press it, right side up, to the sticky part of adhesive-backed felt sheets (you can get these online at Amazon in different thicknesses and colors - they do not have to be super thick). Then use your die-cutting machine to cut out the shapes from the felt-backed cotton fabric.
  2.  Next, use another piece of the same cotton fabric and iron it (on cotton setting) right side up to the rough side of a sheet of Heat n Bond Ultrahold iron-on adhesive. This has two sides that are sticky underneath a wax paper coating.  After ironing on the Heat n Bond to the back of the fabric, the cotton fabric will have a wax paper coating on the backside.  Use this Heat n Bond backed cotton fabric to cut out another one of the same die shapes as in step 1.
  3.  Prepare your ornament hanger. Cut a matching piece of ribbon about 6 inches long, make it into a loop, and put the cut tail ends of the ribbon loop about 2 inches down onto the center of the felt-backed cut shape, on the felt side. Cut a small piece of the Heat n Bond (about 1 inch by 1 inch) and place it rough side down on top of the ribbon tails, then iron over it to adhere the ribbon tails to the felt side of the Cotton felt backed fabric shape.  Let it cool a little, then carefully remove the wax paper.
  4.  Finally, take the fabric shape with the Heat n Bond backing and remove the wax paper back. Place the Heat n Bond side of the shape on top of the felt side of the felt-backed shape and align the perimeters of the shapes together. Press the shapes on top of each other with a hot iron (on cotton setting) being careful to lift the iron up and down rather than moving the iron from side to side, to avoid shifting the shapes before the glue is heat set.

You can make some adorable Christmas and Key ring ornaments!  I have attached a picture of some of the ornaments I made of a ginger bread man and hearts. One of the heart ornaments is attached to a key ring loop. I love that it makes it look cute, and it also helps me to find my keys in my pocketbook!
Here is info on supplies I used in case anyone wants to try it out:

Thin adhesive backed felt sheets: https://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Colours-Self-Adhesive-Supplies-Projects/dp/B09FT4DGBR?pd_rd_w=vJHMy&content-id=amzn1.sym.deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_p=deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_r=MGQ05H2DRP1B6T3CBR83&pd_rd_wg=YCxgH&pd_rd_r=21578b5d-9078-44b4-8f4b-8cede7c17db9&pd_rd_i=B09FT4DGBR&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_t&th=1

Heat n Bond Ultrahold double sided iron on adhesive: https://www.amazon.com/HeatnBond-UltraHold-Iron-Adhesive-Inches/dp/B000Y0083K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P27VE4MWB5XI&keywords=heat+n+bond+iron-on+adhesive+sheet%2C+ultrahold&qid=1668715249&sprefix=heat+n+bond+ultrahold%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-3

Christmas fabric fat quarters (on sale at Joann for $7.49) - https://www.joann.com/place-time-18-x-21-5pc-vintage-christmas-cotton-fabric-bundle/19030642.html

Place & Time 18'' x 21'' 5Pc Vintage Christmas Cotton Fabric Bundle | JOANN<https://www.joann.com/place-time-18-x-21-5pc-vintage-christmas-cotton-fabric-bundle/19030642.html>
Shop Place & Time 18'' x 21'' 5Pc Vintage Christmas Cotton Fabric Bundle at JOANN fabric and craft store online to stock up on the best supplies for your project. Explore the site today!
www.joann.com

Another no sew, super easy craft is to make is fabric, feel backed coasters:

You will need thick adhesive backed felt that is .13” thick, peel back the paper covering and stick on some pretty cotton Christmas fabric. Run it through a die cutter with a 4” circle die - and voila - It makes a beautiful coaster!  I think they would make great, unique gifts packaged together in sets with a pretty ribbon tied around them!  Most of the die cutting machines should have dies for making circles, I think 4” is a good size for a coaster.

If you are interested, here is the Amazon link for the adhesive backed thick felt:
Adhesive Felt, 0.13" Thick Self Adhesive Felt Sheets for Craft, 11.8"x11.8" Felt Furniture Pads, 10 Pcs Heavy Felt for Decorations (Red) https://a.co/d/7c8gqSt

A Sewing craft using 5” square die cuts:

Another idea if you like to hand sew, you could get the 5” square die and cut out 5” fabric squares.  You can make patchwork pillows with them by sewing three rows of three 5” x 5” squares together to make a 13” square pillow case front, then stitch right sides together with a 14” square piece of fabric for the backing, leaving a 5 inch opening to turn right side out.  Fill with polyfill and then stitch together the opening!

Hope this might be helpful for some ideas!

Happy crafting!

Tammy Roussell, Mitsy Kit CEO
Tammy.Roussell at MitsyKit.org
978-419-1824<tel:978-419-1824>