[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Knitting question

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Sun Jan 8 19:17:30 UTC 2023

The very easiest cast-on, which my mom taught me first, is called the backward loop.
First, you make a loop tied with a slip knot, which I think of as a noose.  To make a slip knot, grab your string in your non-dominant hand, which I'll call left.  Make a big loop and bring the end of the string under the string and all the way back around, so now you have a big loop on top and a small loop hanging out on the left. Then put the end of the string through the small loop, coming down from the top, and gently tighten it.  I hold the big loop with my left hand and do the wrapping and such with my right.
Put the big loop you just made over your needle and pull on the long attached part of the string to tighten it.
I start all my casting on with this loop with a slip knot, so it's a good thing to learn.
Now you're ready to do the backward loop.
Grab your long string--your working string--and give it one twist, so that you have a loop.  Put the loop over the needle and tighten it up--not too tight, but enough so it stays.
Keep doing that until you have enough loops.

This is not a fancy cast-on, and there are others that are nicer-looking or more stretchy, but it's an easy one to use when you're just getting started.
Tracy