[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Knitting question

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 11 02:59:42 UTC 2023

Ericka,

I'm not exactly sure about what you mean by your edges are ragged, so I will provide some common issues that can impact any and all of your edges.

Curved cast-on edge
If your cast-on edge is smiling at you... so that the ends are pointing up toward your needles and the center of the cast-on edge is hanging down, you are working your cast-on looser than you are knitting the rest of your work.  Some solutions would be to work your cast-on row tighter, or use a smaller needle for the cast-on, or loosen the tension while working the rest of the project, or use a larger needle for the rest of the work.

If your cast-on edge is frowning at you... so that the ends are pointing down away from your needles and the center of the cast-on edge is closer to your needle, you are working your cast-on tighter than you are knitting the rest of your work.  Some solutions would be to work your cast-on row looser, or use a larger needle for the cast-on, or tighten up the tension while working the rest of the project, or use a smaller needle for the rest of the work

Curved Bind-off edge
If your bind-off is curled upward like a smile, then it is tighter than the rest of your work.  Use a larger needle to bind-off or work your stitches looser.

If your bind-off edge is frowning at you, it is looser than the rest of your work.  Use a smaller needle or tighten up your tension.

Loopy/Sloppy side edges
This happens when the last stitch of the row and the first stitch of the next row have different tensions.  One is tighter than the other.  You might want to try slipping the first stitch of a row instead of working it.  Deciding whether to keep your working yarn in front or in back when you slip that first stitch is personal preference on how you want your edge to look, or might be dictated by how you worked the last stitch on the previous row, and/or how you are going to work the second stitch on the new row.

Swatching with the yarn and needles you are going to use for a project will help you identify problem areas and solutions.

If you are gaining and loosing stitches, your edges will not be even.

HTH,
Annette

.