[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Beginner Sewing Looking for Supply Suggestions

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 17:42:09 UTC 2023

Kit, Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck in your sewing! You really do not need a lot of special tools or equipment. A tape measurer is a good idea. Most people use a needle threader, and there are several types. Using the loop threader, it is important to remember that the threader goes in the side of the needle where the thread comes out so that the loop will be on the side where the thread goes in when you pull it through the needle.  For hand sewing, a self threading needle works just fine. A seam guide on top of your machine is also helpful, especially for top stitching. I am happy to talk with you about patterns and cutting. I use the tissue paper patterns and have somebody cut on the cutting line before I pin them on the fabric. That gives you a better understanding of the shape of each piece, and you can cut exactly at the edge. Do not try to cut with your fingers at the tips of the scissors, but loop your guiding hand across the top of the scissors, so you can feel exactly where the cutting is taking place. If you want to phone me, my number is 208-338-1595. I have been sewing for 70 years and have taught both blind and sighted people to sew, but there are others who have a lot of sewing experience as well, others on this list. I will be out of town all next week, Monday through Sunday, but should be able to find time this weekend or after I return. Yes, I am old, but not out of energy and projects yet! My brain still works moderately well, if not quite like 50 years ago.
Best, Ramona

Ramona