[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Need ideas for straws

Jewel Gaspard nxg1719 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 12:53:07 UTC 2024

If you cut the straws into 1/2" to 1" pieces, they can be painted with acrylic paints and turned into beads. This is especially good as a project for children ages 7-11 as they are working on their fine motor skills and this project definitely needs some fine motor skills to get the painting looking just right. To paint them, you can put them on a spool rack or other vertical skewer like stand. That way the entire thing can be painted wwithout having to touch any part of it or wai for it to dry to be turned.
Straws are also great for people with less mobility who want to do loom knitting. Take a section about two inches long and put it on the working yarn before cassting on and it make st the working yarn a lot easier to keep track of and hold on to.
If you can close off one end (the easiest way is to pinch it closed and then staple and tape it. The extra precaution will make more sense in a moment), then you can fill them wih flavored honey or sugar to make quick snacks for kids. This should only be done with brand new straws, but you did say they are sealed from the shops, so they should be ust fine.
I think that's all the ideas I have for now!
Be good. IF you can’t be good, be good at it.