[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Introduction

Sonya Coulombe sonya.coulombe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 17:35:28 UTC 2024

Hi,

My name is Sonya. I learned to cast on, knit and pearl in my 20s, with low but usable vision. At that time, I didn't learn to bind off or do any kind of repairs. My mother was helping me with that. I did a few scarfs then stopped knitting.

Fast forward to 2017, 25 or so years later. My eyesight dropped to the point of being legally blind. It took me a while to adjust , specially in the workplace. In 2019 I mentionned to a friend online that I might be interested in knitting again. Her mother wrote a text for me, where she mentionned several resources, including Krafter's Korner.  Turn out my life was too much in flux at the time and I didn't follow through.

A few weeks ago, I finally picked up the needles again. I bought the "The Touch of Yarn" book.  I worked on the first project, a garter stitch pot-holder. I was surprised how quickly I picked up casting on and knit stitch again. I was able to bind off and now working on weaving in the tails. I'm thrilled, and to be honest I think after a while I'll be a better knitter than I was in my 20s.

So here I am, glad to have finally taken that step. A big thank you to Dixi S. for her recommendations and my apologies for the 5 years hiatus!
My next step: re-learn to pearl and some repairs techniques.

Looking forward to learn and participate in the list. And to know people.
Have a great weekend,

Sonya