[Nfb-kzoo] Excellent chapter ideas from the NFBV Fairfax Chapter April 2009 Newsletter

Tim Paulding tpaulding at dnswm.org
Mon Apr 13 18:30:46 UTC 2009

The newsletter below is a GREAT example of the kinds of thigns a vibrant and active chapter do  in their community. A good read so read it.

Dear Members and Friends:

This is the April 2009 newsletter of the Fairfax Area Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia. There is lots and lots of
exciting information below along with a copy of the Red Lobster menu at the
end of this newsletter.

Meeting Location:

For the April 16, 2009 meeting, we will be gathering in the banquet room at
the Fairfax City Red Lobster, located at 10325 Fairfax Boulevard. They can
be reached at (703) 691-1011. Their website is www.redlobster.com
(http://www.redlobster.com/).

Those who want dinner should arrive at 6:30 p.m. The formal meeting will
begin promptly at 7:00p.m. and run till 9:00 p.m. We will be meeting in the
banquet room at the restaurant. A copy of the menu is at the bottom of this
newsletter.

If you need transportation assistance from the Vienna Metro Station, please
contact Chapter Vice-President Cathy Schroeder at (703) 319-9226. We want to
make sure anyone who wants to attend a meeting is able to do so.

This Month's Program:

It is obvious now that spring is just more than a date on the calendar. The
days are getting longer and the temperature is ever-so-slowly creeping
upward. Another sign of spring is baseball. The regular season for baseball
is starting this month and we are pleased to have a representative from the
Potomac Nationals baseball organization come to talk to us about the game
and how the many fans of the sport can enjoy watching the Boys-of-Summer
even more.

The Potomac Nationals Baseball Club is the Single A affiliate for the
Washington Nationals. The players they use were drafted by the Washington
Nationals and all of the players are young prospects that will one day, if
they play well enough, make it to the majors.

Because they are a Minor League team, they pride themselves on being an
inexpensive entertainment venue for families and the local community.  On
April 16, Andrew Stinson will be coming out to speak with us.  He is one of
the Potomac Nationals Group Sales Account Executives. He is entering his
third year with the team and is a graduate of George Mason University.

If you love the springtime, warm sunny days, and baseball, you will want to
attend this sure to be really fun meeting.

A Big Thanks to Dennis and Larry:

At last month's meeting Dennis Ranker of the Social Security Administration
and family lawyer Larry Povinelli came to our meeting to help us cut through
the complex system of entitlements called SSI and SSDI. We know this topic
was of broad interest because of the many new faces who came to the meeting
to hear our very knowledgeable speakers.

A big thanks goes out to Larry and Dennis for so generously sharing of their
time and experience with us so that we can better utilize the services we
are entitled to and so often need.

Fairfax Chapter Members Speak before a Fairfax City Girl Scout Troup:

On Saturday, March 28, three members of the Fairfax Chapter continued the
chapter's community outreach program by presenting before Girl Scout Troop
1414 at a local church in Fairfax City.

Troop Leader Linda Carter, several adult volunteers, and the 12 or so young
girls who comprise Troup 1414 watched and participated as Corbb O'Connor,
Stacy Cervenka, and John Bailey from the NFB presented a program about how
successful blind people utilize non-visual skills to do things.

Stacy gave each girl training on the proper use of a long white cane for
traveling. Each girl had the chance to put on sleep shades (to totally block
out any light) and to use a cane to traverse the hallways. The girls learned
how useful a cane can be when used properly along with the other senses.

Corbb brought his dog guide Phoenix to demonstrate how a dog guide can also
be a method for independent mobility. Each scout had a chance to walk with
an empty harness as Corbb walked along side telling them what to do and
giving the girls feedback.

John talked about how Braille can be a very useful tool for doing all sorts
of things. He brought a Perkins Brailler and an electronic Braille display
to show that even though technology has made advances, the idea of reading
tactile bumps using your finger tips can be a very effective form of
communication. He even brought a Braille Rubix cube to show that many games
can be made accessible to the visually impaired with just a few tactile
markings.

The best part of the program was where the troop leaders and the girls got
to ask questions. Stacy reminded everyone that there were no 'stupid'
questions and that they should feel comfortable asking anything they had a
question about. Each presenter took turns answering questions like: "How
does a blind person handle paper money?"; "How does a blind person respond
to someone ( whom they don't recognize) when they say hello to them?"; and
"How do blind people know the up from the down elevators?".

The representatives from the Fairfax Chapter were very warmly welcomed and
they appreciated the opportunity of explaining a bit about blindness and how
it isn't nearly the problem the public thinks it must be.

If you belong to a group that would like to have a program where your
members can learn about low-vision and blindness, there are several
excellent presenters who are members of the Fairfax Chapter who would be
pleased to talk with you. For more information about hosting a program,
contact John Bailey at 703.994.29040 or via e-mail at
john_bailey17 at hotmail.com

Future Chapter Activities You Might Enjoy:

In the next few months, chapter members will once again join up with the
members of the Fairfax Harley-Davidson Owners Group (HOGs) to take a tour of
the city by motorcycle. We had this same event two years ago and it was
great. The HOGs gave us a show-and-tell of their bikes and then took us on a
tour of the city via motorcycle.

Currently, we are working on a firm date and time for the next city ride.
So, keep reading future announcements to see when you will have a chance to
join the next city ride.

The Fairfax Chapter announces two Scholarships for the 2009 national
Federation of the Blind Youth Slam:

The National Federation of the Blind is hosting a second Youth Slam in the
summer of 2009; it will be very similar to the Youth Slam held in 2007.
However, this year, it will be held at the University of Maryland in College
Park. The purpose of the NFB Youth Slam is to introduce blind and low-vision
students to careers they traditionally may not have thought of for an
occupation.

A "track" is a series of activities designed to make students familiar with
a particular career. In the 2009 Youth Slam, there will be many of the
tracks that were offered in 2007. This includes tracks in rocket science,
biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, Earth science, computer science, and
a Youth Slam News journalism track. In addition, we will be introducing
several new tracks; they are forensics, sports science, and will also
include an inventor's track.

The 2009 NFB Youth Slam will begin on July 26 and run for five days. There
is no registration fee. However, once you are accepted into the program,
there is a $250 program fee which will cover travel, lodging, food, and
program expenses.

The Fairfax Chapter sees the value of teaching our youth that there is no
limit to what one can achieve even if you are blind. So, the Fairfax Chapter
is offering two $250 scholarships to local teens to attend the Slam this
summer. If you are interested in learning more about the 2009 Youth Slam
scholarships offered by the Fairfax Chapter, contact John Bailey at (703)
994-2040 or via e-mail at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
(mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com). For more information about the Slam and
how to apply, contact Karen Zakhnini, Education Project Manager, Jernigan
Institute, National Federation of the Blind (410) 659-9314, ext. 2293.

For more information about how you can become involved in the Fairfax
Chapter, contact chapter President John Bailey at 703.994.2040 or via e-mail
at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com. To keep up-to-date on future meetings and
their locations, check the www.nfbv.org website for the latest.

Red Lobster Menu Choices:

Freshly baked Cheddar Bay Biscuits; Garden or Caesar salad (add petite

shrimp for99) or coleslaw. With the exception of pastas, entrées also come
with:

Your choice of fresh broccoli, home-style mashed potatoes, wild rice pilaf,

baked potato or fries. Substitute One of Our Premium Sides Fresh Asparagus

Seasonal. 2.25 additional Creamy Lobster-Topped Baked Potato With
langoustine

lobster meat. 3.99 additional Creamy Lobster-Topped Mashed Potatoes With

langostino lobster meat. 3.99 additional Add to Any Meal Steamed Snow Crab
Legs

1/2 pound served with melted butter. 7.50 Steamed King Crab Legs 1/2 pound

served with melted butter. 9.99 Know someone who loves seafood? The Red
Lobster

Gift Card makes a great gift. Buy Gift Cards Online Enjoy a New England
Lobster

Bake at home. We'll deliver it fresh to your door. Buy Live Lobster Online

Savor More of the Sea on Mondays and Tuesdays Crab Crackin' Monday Join us

every Monday for sweet snow crab legs. 1 pound 15.50 1 1/2 pounds 19.50 2
pounds

23.50 Shrimp Lover's Tuesday Enjoy lots of delicious shrimp on Tuesdays!

Fried shrimp, scampi, coconut shrimp bites or popcorn shrimp. Any Three
12.75

Any Four 16.25 *These menu items are cooked to the level of doneness you

request. Consuming raw or undercooked meats or shellfish may increase your
risk of

food borne illness. Seaside Shrimp Trio Seaside Shrimp Trio A generous

sampling of our Walt's Favorite Shrimp, savory garlic shrimp scampi and
shrimp

linguini Alfredo. 17.50 Ultimate Feast® Ultimate Feast® A tender Maine
lobster

tail, steamed snow crab legs, garlic shrimp scampi and Walt's Favorite
Shrimp.

25.25 Admiral's Feast Admiral's Feast Walt's Favorite Shrimp, bay scallops,

clam strips and flounder fried to a golden brown. 16.99 Create Your Own
Feast

Choose Any Two 16.50 Choose Any Three 20.50

Garlic-Grilled Jumbo Shrimp Seafood-Stuffed Flounder Parrot Bay Jumbo

Coconut Shrimp Walt's Favorite Shrimp Grilled Salmon Shrimp Linguini Alfredo
Crab

Linguini Alfredo Garlic Shrimp Scampi Steamed Snow Crab Legs Grilled Sirloin

Steak* (3.75 additional)

The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps! <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621489x1201450100/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilAvgfooterNO62>