[Nfb-kzoo] Update

Tyler merren twmerren at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 04:20:22 UTC 2009

Hello NFB Group,
I wanted to write and let all of you know the updates from our meeting today with Kevin King from the Kalamazoo Public Library.  We met with Kevin and three other high ranking officials of the KPL network..though I honestly will say their titles have slipped my memory...if they were ever there to begin with.  Our basic approach, as the NFB I mean, was to take every day tasks that the general population  can perform upon entering the library, and recommend ways that the KPL could make these a possibility for their blind and low vision patrons.  As a side note, all of these were met with enthusiasm, good questions, and a very sincere mentality of consideration and prospect.  Another side note is that they seem to have money to burn when it comes to this particular project, so I wouldn't be surprised to see these things go through.

1. Patrons can use any computer in the library
Solution: the main library is networked to the...I believe it is four...branch libraries i.e. Oshtemo and portage.  Purchasing several site licenses for JAWS and Magic, and placing them on the network would allow a blind or low vision patron to use any computer to call up the program that they needed to use that computer.  The limitation would simply be in the number of site licenses i.e. if they only have 5 licenses, then only 5 visually impaired people could use the JAWS or Magic at any given time in the libraries network.
2. General Patrons can browse through shelves of books
Solution: purchasing several portable CCTV's and several KNFB readers, and having them at the desk for check out, would allow persons with low vision and visual impairments to browse through books at their leisure.
3. General patrons can sit in the library and read their books.
Solution: purchasing a couple of standard flat bed scanners and keeping them behind the desk for check out (just like the CCTV's and KNFB readers), and site licensing a couple Kursweill 1000 programs for the network like the JAWS and Magic.  So theoretically, I could go in there, find a book that I want to read, check out a scanner, plug it into the computer, pull up JAWS and Kurzweil and start reading.  Of course, the CCTVs and the KNFB readers can also be used for reading.
4. General patrons can print
Solution: purchasing a networkable Braille embosser, so that a person who wished to Braille could emboss from any computer.  The embosser would be kept behind the tech desk to keep it from being tampered with, and any embossings could be picked up from the desk when finished.
5. General Patrons can check out and use MP3 players with books installed on them
Solution: this is being worked on, but basically we are going to recommend the 4th generation IPOD Nanos, which according to Jason, can be made fully accessible, and are a mainstream product
6. This isn't something Patrons can do, but the question of Braille came up because I inquired about searching for Braille products on their catalog and if it was possible at this time (they have children's books in Braille).  They stated that this was possible, but that their was no adult material in Braille, and they wondered if that should change.  I gave them the spiel about NFB's philosophy about the great things about Braille, but I also stated for a library, it just wasn't very practical to have a lot of Braille because of its size and upkeep.  However, in the twenty first century, technology abounds, and we convinced them that some refreshable Braille units would be a good investment, to which they agreed.

Phew, lots of stuff, now onto the fun for us...PR.  This comes at a good time for them and for us.  KPL has a millage renewal coming up, and this good PR will be great for them.  Right now we are going to wait to here back from them as to what they want to do next, but they sound very excited about all these changes and they want them done ASAP...like before May.  It looks to me like our job as the NFB will be to promote this thing to death, and to also potentially do some forums and training sessions.  Their will be several other tasks, but this has turned into a really big deal.

I hope that excites you all, I know it does me, this is a great thing happening here, and I think we should shout it to anyone that will listen.  Stay tuned for more updates, and be ready to put on your PR suits and hit the streets here pretty soon I think.

Tyler Merren
President of the NFB of Kalamazoo