[Nfb-lions] Conklin center for the Blind and Florida Lionsaffiliation question

Al Lovati alovati at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 14 15:09:20 UTC 2012

The Lions of Indiana have formally associated themselves with the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, making the school a 5th Lions State Project.

Along with several Project Trustees and other Lions from around the state, we've been able to develop several informal associations over the years between the Indiana Lions and NFB andACB.

We've been able to obtain consistent Lions' funding for trips to both state and national NFB and ACB conventions. With this funding and Jernigan dollars, I've been able to organize 8 NFB National Convnetion trips for students and their families. We've attended 1 ACB National Convention. We'll be in Dallas again this year with 4 students - 2 from ISBVI and 2 from public schools from around Indiana along with a mom and dad and 2 sets of moms with young children.

Also, the Lions of District 25-A - the northwest part of the state - contacted me a couple months ago about helping them host a fishing derby for blind youth. They've done much of the grunt work of locating the pond/lake and campsite, find local sponsors such as Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's to help with equipment and such.

With the full coopreration and support of Ron Brown and the NFB of Indiana, especially the Parent, Youth and Sports Divisions, The Lions and Indiana NFB are gearing up for an what is hoped to be a first of many such events. The exciting component of this is that the Lions and NFB are working as equals in making sure that the event is properly done. Also, the Indiana's Blind Merchants will contribute snacks and such also to the event.

As I've made visits to clubs or District Conventions I tell the groups that there won't be any fishing out of tanks, kids being led to the water line, etc. If a kid sticks his or her finger with a hook, they'll lick it and try again. If they fall into the lake, they'll sit in wet clothes. I then tell the audience not to worry, that we'll leave the chain saws at home...because we'll be using axes to chop wood. (That usually gets a chuckle and a couple of gasps.)

The families/kids will be help setup their camp sites, help where needed and bring items to help with meals and such. So while the event is free, everyone will contribute something.

The link to the Lions for the ISBVI State Project page is: (You may have to copy and paste the links)

http://www.inlionsforisbvi.org/

However, there is a Youth Link that speaks volumes for the Indiana Lions' committment to working with youth:

http://www.inlionsforisbvi.org/outreach.htm

Additionally, there's a link that lists blind and vi services from around Indiana:

http://isbvi.datapitstop.us/cgi.exe?PAGEID=0003&CALL_PROGRAM=C013ISBVI

Feel free to peruse on your own.

Here's the brochure I put together for the Fishing Derby. There will be a web presence on various Lions pages and NFB of Indiana's page.

(brochure: outside front flap)
Drawings of a rod & reel, boat and hook.

Text: Fishing & Camping with Blind and Visually Impaired Kids (between each line there is braille using a readable font.)

A Weekend Fishing & Camping Experience for Indiana’s Blind and Visually Impaired Youth

(Note: To the left of the following is an image of the Indiana Lions State Logo)

     June 23rd – 24th
     LaPorte, IN
     Ph: 574-946-4701

(Note: To the right of the above is an image of the Whozit's Family Logo)

(Note: The following line goes across the top of the opened brochure)

...Help Us Make A Difference In the Life of Your Child...One Catch At A Time...

(Note: inside left flap)

...A Good Fisherman Knows All the Angles…

The Lions of Indiana District 25-A along with the Indiana Parents of Blind Children and Indiana Association of Blind Student, divisions of the National Federation of the Blind, have put together a fun filled inspiring weekend of fishing, camping and activities.

...A Reel Expert Can Tackle Anything…

The Lions and Blind Sportsmen will share their expertise as fishologists and show the young anglers innovative and alternative ways to catch fish.
Got Reel…

When: June 23rd & 24th

Where: 2222 S 900 West, LaPorte, In 46350

What: Fishing! Camping!

Cost: Free. Memories Pisces

Why: To Make All of Your Fishes Come True.

(Note: inside middle flap)

...Good Things Come To Those Who Wade…

Mornings will be filled with fishing, fishing and more fishing!

Lunch, then more fishing!

Following dinner and clean-up, everyone will participate in a series of fun, challenging, and inspiring activities.

Youth will be mentored by blind college age role models through a series of activities that will stretch the imagination, build confidence and develop positive attitudes about blindness.

Parents/Guardian will participate in corresponding workshops designed to provide the tools and knowledge that they need to help their child succeed.

After Smores and such, it’s time to sleep under the stars.

...Wading is the Hardest Part...

To make a reservation, visit
www.lions25a.org/

(Note: inside right flap)

About us:

The Lions are an international service organization that meets the needs of local communities and the world. The 1.35 million members in 206 countries are different in many ways, but share a core belief of helping, serving and working with the Blind and Visually Impaired.

Indiana Lions of District 25-A:
www.lions25a.org/

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind works towards improving  blind people’s lives through advocacy, education, research, technology, & encouraging independence & self confidence.

Indiana Parents of Blind Children:
www.nfb.org/nfb/NOPBC_Local_Contacts.asp

National Association of Blind Students
www.nfb.org/nabs