[Nfb-lions] Possible Suggestion About Increasing Lion Magazine on NFB Newsline

Albert Rizzi Albert at Myblindspot.org
Wed Dec 30 19:55:35 UTC 2015

David,

We can agree to disagree. Regardless my stand or opinions on the computer issues, the Lions Club is bound by law to provide people materials in the format of their choice.

As a Lion, and past officer of my club here on Long Island, I wrote to Past International President Joe Preston and asked him to approve a resolution about using the appropriate white cane used, and recognized internationally, used by people who are blind. Previously they used the crookd  cane often used for people needing to lean on the same.

So, opinions aside about the computer issue, I am thinking that a simple request and appropriate request would be in order. But, I for one, am happy to know that we are going to be killing less trees in this instance, and would urge others to get on board and get a computer or a smart phone in this instance.

Like I mentioned before, there are many times throughout our history where one invention made another one obsolete.

The computer or smart phones are not going away, they are only going to be more and more prevalent and a requirement in the coming years.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-lions [mailto:nfb-lions-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of David Andrews via Nfb-lions
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:34 PM
To: NFB and Lions <nfb-lions at nfbnet.org>
Cc: David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com>
Subject: Re: [Nfb-lions] Possible Suggestion About Increasing Lion Magazine on NFB Newsline

Albert:

I agree with you that things change, and move on.  I understand the Lions letting go the print publication, many organizations, including newspapers have already done so.  However, your generalizations about people who don't have computers seem pretty judgmental to me.  There might be lots of reasons why someone doesn't have a computer. Your saying ""refusal to get a computer" isn't accurate I think. They might not be able to afford one, they might not have access to broadband, they might not have room, or they may have made a conscious decision to not go down that road.

I worked with my Father some, before he died, on computer stuff, and there were things that just involved too many steps for him to readily learn.

Dave

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org