[Nfb-lions] BISM's Possibility Fair as Related to Lions

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu Aug 18 23:00:39 UTC 2016

Hello my fellow Lions.  You probably thought that, in the heat of
summer, that there would be no post on this list.  Well, surprise!
Surprise! I've got some news that hopefully will be of interest to you.

The Lions' presence at this year's Possibility Fair at Blind Industries
and Services of Maryland's main headquarters (They have satellite
locations in Cumberland in Western Maryland and in Salisbury on
Maryland's Eastern Shore.) was highlighted by the presence of an
organization called LLVRNET, the Lions Low Vision Rehabilitation
Network, a joint project of all five subdistricts in District 22.
Basically the network strives to help Marylanders who have been told
that nothing can be done to improve their vision that there is hope and
help out there to maximize the usable vision that they have.  This
group was started in 1990, and on November 19 they're going to have a
celebration rally.  It is my understanding, and please correct me, that
this is the only group of its kind in the country.

While having my lunch, wonder of wonders but Lion John Lawrence,
president of the Kent Island Lions Club in District 22B, came over for
a short talk.  Neither of us knew that the other was at this event, so
it was a delight for both of us.

And that's the news from District 22A, except for one thing:  As a
Lions Service Project I'm spending about an hour each Friday from noon
to 1 PM eastern time reading uplifting and encouraging articles from
various sources over the facilities of the Radio Reading Network of
Maryland, our statewide radio reading service, though in practical
reality the signal only goes to the Baltimore area and surrounding
counties.  However the signal can be heard at
http://www.radioreadingnetwork.org.
Unfortunately at this time they don't record any locally generated
broadcasts because they don't have the proper equipment to do so, so
I'm going to lobby the relevant Lions to hopefully donate extra cash to
get the recording equipment that will not only record broadcasts but
automatically play them back at convenient times.  Both Lion John, Lion
Bob and our district governor heartily approve of what I'm doing.  I'm
not all that interested in a reward, though, as I just want the
listeners for, albeit a brief time, receive the spirit of encouragement
and uplift from what I present to them each week.  I hope that you
fellow Lions see where I'm coming from.

And that will do it for now.  You who are suffering from this
tremendous heat, I hope that your AC units are working well.  Yours in
Lionism, Lion Paul from District 22A