[Nfb-lions] My Club's General Meeting

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Fri Jan 22 02:44:33 UTC 2016

Our club's general meeting was called to order at 7 PM this evening,
January 21 at a local Denny's franchise.  We had a special guest, our
District 22A governor Lion Dan Burton.  He gave us a bit of a peptalk
about recruiting new members.  He likened our community service to
ripples in a pond.  For example, let's say that my club has a service
project in a local school to distribute eyeglasses to needy students,
and one of those students received a pair that helped him/her in
studies.  Well, down the road a bit he/she would remember receiving
those eyeglasses from a specific Lions Club and decides to join.  It
was a very interesting presentation.

Also as a surprise to your correspondent was the fact that, since I
brought in two Lions who have been members of our club for a year, that
I received a pin in recognition of that effort, something that I was
totally unprepared for, but accepted the pin and accolade gracefully.

Last but not least our District Governor, who presented me with the
pin, Lion Dan Burton, was just as enthusiastic about my radio project.
So hopefully with his help we can get something started, as our urban
and suburban parts of Baltimore definitely need new club members for
the respective ones in our area.

And finally before I go, I'd like to take a moment to state that our
Cabinet meeting will take place at the Blind Industries and Services of
Maryland (BISM) in which those attending will be treated to a $15 meal
and an inspiring speech by an 11-year-old girl who will be a cancer
survivor.  Hopefully blind Lions Steven Booth and Chris Danielson can
join the undersigned along with others.  Your correspondent, Lion Paul