[Nfb-lions] I'm Back From My Lions Convention

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Fri May 20 03:07:54 UTC 2016

Greetings from your typhlonautical Lion.  For those not familiar with
that big word, it simply means a blind traveler.  Anyway here's a very
brief synopsis of the convention, followed by an announcement.

Our meeting officially got underway at 9:15 AM on Tuesday, May 17 with
opening ceremonies, one of which included a general prayer by our own
District 22A chaplain and zone chair, Lion Marie.

There were a number of seminars, including one focusing on Leader Dogs,
an organization supported by Lions, centennial updates and the one that
I took part in, and that was a two-part series on membership, something
that will play a part in an event that will be mentioned later.  During
the membership seminar I learned a few things that I didn't know.  Did
you know that Helen Keller was made an "honorary Lion?" Well, she was,
and that women in Lions didn't make their way officially into our
organization until July 4, 1987, when the first female Lion (If I can
use that term), was inducted, a lady from Pakistan.  We also spoke of
more young people joining our great association and, judging by the
number of names mentioned in our memorial service, this is sorely
needed.  Of course they would have to start as Leo's, but after a while
they can join the main body of Lions, and to get them involved, if only
in simple tasks that they can do.

Well, there were a number of other activities, but I just wish to tell
you about an event that will take place Sunday night.

It all got started back in January of 2015 when I contacted Michael
Gerlach, a blind person in his own right and host of a program called
"Insight On Disability," when he was asking listeners for ideas for
future programs.  Well, as you might expect, I called in expressing the
idea of having a program in which I and a few others could try
"selling" Lionism.  Well, nothing came of the idea until a few months
ago when I contacted our district 22A Governor, Lion Larry Burton, and
he and Michael exchanged emails and phone calls.  So this Sunday, May
22 from 7:06 to 8 PM eastern time, we two and two others will appear on
the show heard over WCBM, 680 on the AM dial locally, and on the Internet at
http://www.wcbm.com.
In addition two other guests, an 11-year-old boy who received financial
help from the Lions to help with his eye problems at the Johns Hopkins
Hospital's world-renowned Wilmer Eye Clinic, and a blind person working
in a local crime lab, also with help from the Lions.

So, if this interests you, please tune in and ask your fellow Lions
club members and anyone else you know to tune in and perhaps even call
with questions and comments.

And that will do it for this somewhat long post.  Yours in Lionism, Lion Paul