[NFB-Lions] Help, need perspective

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 23:22:41 UTC 2020

Good luck. He may need other help as well. But I hope you like him and it is returned. Somebody from Washington came to an NFB group meeting a few years ago and said they wanted to do concerts for the blind. I asked how many people they expect at  a concert, and they said hundreds. I don't think that went anywhere, but they are clearly looking for something to do. You might talk to the Mackenstadts to see what they know about Lions there. In North Carolina, they have a big fishing derby for the blind, and there are blind people on its planning board. It sounds as though blind people can be as dependent or as independent as they want at the activity. There also used to be a lot of Lions help in Indiana to get blind kids to activities, including NFB conventions. They are not going to give cash directly to an NFB group, but they do sometimes support projects. If there is a sight and hearing foundation, it probably will collect eyes for medical procedures, but it also can provide financial help to buy embossers for a school where needed or even an electronic Brailler. You sort of have to be careful how much to ask for. Most of the clubs around here raise funds for specific projects and do not have a lot extra. Of course, many think that all blind people are poor and want to be served meals, etc. There was a big rift here in the 1970's because somebody wants to build a nature trail for the blind, and the NFBI Pres at the time offended somebody by discouraging it. It should be possible to let them build the trail for the community and add some features that the blind would appreciate. I believe you did that in Florida. So i'll bet you can do something worthwhile.