[NFB-Lions] Intro

ms.sunflower61 at gmail.com ms.sunflower61 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 18:29:47 UTC 2020

Judy,

Welcome!

Lions does have lots to offer.  It is an International organization established to serve others.  We offer a hand in times of disaster.  On the local level, clubs are so diverse with a wide variety of focus.

My name is Tammy Freitag.  I live in Nebraska and have been in 2 clubs.  The first club was very strong supporters of an Eye Institute.  The Institute provides eye exams and surgeries for people in Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas & Missouri.  If we came across a person that needed eye surgery and had no options to afford it, we would connect them with the Institute and drive them to the appointments.  We would collect used eye glasses which were then sent out on medical missions to other countries.  And if a person needed a pair of glasses, our club would help that person get those glasses.

Now that I live in Nebraska, my club has gotten into donating books to Community library houses.  Our members collect books, stamp our club info in them and then go around to all of the little community library houses and adds our books, remove damaged books and report any damaged houses to the organizer of this project.  My favorite project is my club is very active in doing eye exams on daycare children.  We worked to help purchase the small hand held devices that have the ability to test the eyes of a child as young as 6 months.  What an amazing blessing.  So far about 13% of the children tested have been referred to doctors for further exam.

Catching vision issues so young is such a blessing.

These are just a few local projects.  If you have questions, please share them and I bet someone will offer an answer.

Smile!

Lion Tammy

We Serve!