[NFB-Lions] Perspective, please, on White Cane Days.

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 00:21:59 UTC 2021

Hello, All,

In our area, there are, apparently, Lions clubs that raise money for the Sight And Hearing Foundation, by going to public venues and soliciting donations, and offering replica white canes.

When I found out about that today, My first reaction was to be horrified, as this just seems to promulgate the stereotypic blind/cane/soliciting relationship.

As with you who use a white cane for travel, our canes are the gateway to independence and travel, when one receives proper training.

I would like to know how you all feel about this perspective, and what your clubs do to raise funds for Sight And Hearing Foundation.

To me, this seems very damaging, once again, feeding the  blind stereotype.

Our club members are very kind and caring people, and I would not want to hurt feelings, but I was incensed when I found this out.

Thanks for relating your experience and perspective.

Judy

🌄 (sunrise over mountains)

“embrace each day with His mercies and blessings.”