[NFB-Lions] Perspective, please, on White Cane Days.

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:14:38 UTC 2021

Okay, now I read the whole thing. When I was President of the NFB of Idaho, I got a letter from the District Governor asking the NFBI to help sell these little pins maybe an inch and a half long with little crooked canes on them. This was for the Sight first drive to raise a million dollars to help eliminate blindness in Africa I think. There was a second Sight First campaign after that. I knew there was no way that the NFBI would sell these pins, so I asked for a meeting with the District Governor who lived in Twin Falls about 130 miles away which I would go for the meeting. The man brought several district leaders with him. I wanted to make friends with him and not fight. I explained that the white cane is a symbol of independence for blind people who use it well. I explained to him that Lions have two programs which they often think of as one: 1. is to prevent blindness and the second is to help those who are blind. We talked for about an hour, and left friends. He thanked me for explaining that these two things are different. He said, It never occurred to me that it is not all one thing." I told him that even if I asked, I did not think members of the NFBI would sell those little pins, although I did not find the pins as objectionable as the pamphlets they were using. I promised that we would not raise a row for that campaign, and we did not. Then I began a campaign of getting blind people invited to speak at club meetings. The pins never came up. The District raised some money, but the little pins are not really a very good fundraiser, so they just donated a little from other projects. It was a good thing to eliminate river blindness and some other naststy stuff in Africa. The clubs in our District liked to brag about helping with it, and I thought they should. I thought the less fuss, the less defensive the Lions will be. That's why it helps to have blind people involved and get themselves liked. There was an old-timer in my club who used to say "honey attracts more flies than salt." If people get too determined to have publicity on the little white canes, you may have to say something, but mostly I do not know why they keep using them. They can raise just as much money with a cute jar. It is worth looking at the pamphlet to see if it has been improved. If not, I would offer to try to help improve it. I am pretty sure it comes from headquarters. I did confront a staff member from Oakbrook one time at a Lions Forum because one of their videos was pretty bad. That lady turned her back and refused to speak with me further. The other Lions in the room were not impressed. And they did not use that video in our district. It was about Leader Dogs, and a better one has been made since. So my philosophy is like the old hymn: You take the one next to you; I'll take the one next to me. In no time at all; We'll have them all; We'll win them, win them, one by one.