[NFB-Lions] Draft Minutes.

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 19:29:07 UTC 2021

Hi, All,

I am pasting these into the e-mail body, but if you all would prefer
attachments, I can do that instead.  The reason I am pasting is that I
became aware in another group that not all receiving the e-mails can get at
attachments.

Here you go.

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IN LIONS

Minutes

May 15, 2021

Persons Present:

Milton Ota, Judy Jones, Jennifer Gass, Tami Freitag, Milton Taylor, Cori
Wills, and Kat Bottner.

The draft NFB Lions mission statement and purpose was approved this date by
the NFB Lions group, and will be sent to President Riccobono May 17.

Earlier in the month, Judy had sent an invitation for all to attend KOTB
Multi-District 19's Helen Keller celebration, featuring a virtual tour of
the Helen Keller Museum, May 23, from 1:00 - 3:00 PST, and some from this
list have already signed up.

Lions Clubs International (LCI) has recently launched an e-learning site
where Lions can learn about all-things Lions and go through learning modules
and take courses.

Although in the beginning, screen-reader accessibility to the modules and
courses was very poor, it seems to be improving, though there is a way to go
to make everything totally user-friendly for blind Lions.

The group discussed particulars and made recommendations, and Jennifer Gass
had already been in touch with a member on the development team for Lions
Clubs International.  It was also suggested that a development team member
come address the NFB Lions group at a future meeting.

As Judy Jones, in her capacity as MD-19 KOTB's Accessibility Committee Chair
is going to be meeting with another marketing and web development team
member via phone on May 18, she is going to give an overview of some of the
known screen reader accessibility issues known by the MD-19 KOTB and the NFB
Lions.

Next, various group members reported in about what their clubs and districts
are currently involved with.

Milton Ota reports that the Fargo Lions Club is celebrating 100 years of
service with 5 other clubs in the Multi-District 5 which includes North
Dakota, South Dakota and a group of clubs in Canada.

The Fargo Lions is donating to the City of Fargo a sculpture depicting the
1997 floods of Fargo and surrounding areas along the Red River. The art
piece depicts people bagging sand bags to save the city and the many people
that it took to do it. I have given them ideas for accessibility for those
who can read braille, and for those who cannot. For those who cannot read
braille or print we are planning to use WayAround tags which will be
embedded into the signage that will describe the structure  along with a
list of major contributors to the project and a description of the art work
that will be erected about 17-feet above the ground and stretched across two
pillars that are already there. The location is just across City Hall along
the Red River. We expect to complete the donation before the fall of 2021.
Estimated cost is around $219,000 and the club has raised over half of that
amount. Members of the Fargo club were asked to make a donation if they
wish.

Milton Taylor reported that the MD-28, again, is presenting a $1000
scholarship at the NFB of Utah's state convention, and that This has been
taking place for six years.

Judy reported that an NFB press release she had sent to her Lions Executive
District Governor, in January appeared in the MD-19's newsletter, The Border
Crossing, regarding the Technology Affordability Act.  This magazine is
published every other month and enjoyed by many.

Cori Wills gave the group information on the blind Leos group at the Indiana
School For The Blind, with adult advisor Matt Maurer, also another
recommended speaker for NFB Lions.

Next Meeting, June 19, 5:00 PM EST.  Subsequent meetings will be on our
regular meeting day, the fourth Saturday of each month..

Respectfully Submitted,

Judy Jones

Sedro-Woolley Lions Club