[NFB-Muslims] Have any of you folks traveled alone to London Uk?

Ronza Othman rothmanjd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:24:39 UTC 2022

Salam,
I visited London in 2005 and am heading out there again next week. I found it very accessible as a blind person, and the attitude in London is very similar to those of Americans. One challenge is that it is a very old city, which means that it is not always easy to navigate areas that have things like cobblestones, or sign posts or light poles in the middle of sidewalks, trees and tree roots growing out of sidewalks, like an old Baltimore or Boston. But, if you are good with your cane, you should be fine.  They actually were much better than the Americans were with regard to audio described tours and activities. For example, I took a tour of the London tower that had an audio sound track that read all of the plaques and such and it was very good. The castles also had audio tours and even though I don’t think those were originally intended for blind people, they worked very well for me.  The one area that was not super blind friendly was Westminster Abby, but they actually gave me a human who provided me a narrated tour. One other thing to keep in mind that if you are visiting any of the castles and you ask a question to one of the liveried guards, they often cannot answer you. And you don’t always know  why they are ignoring you. The reason is that if they are standing guard, particularly when a royal is in residence, they are not allowed to speak. When that happened though, other tourists were pretty helpful.

Ronza Othman, President
443-426-4110
Sent from my iPhone