[NFB-Muslims] posting from the messages from the what's list

Heather Albright kd5cbl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 21:35:19 UTC 2026


As-salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh, dear brothers and sisters,
I pray everyone has returned home safely from this year's NFB National 
Convention.
First, I would like to ask for your feedback regarding our Blind Muslims 
seminar this year.
1.
What did you like about this year's seminar?
2.
What could we improve for next year?
One suggestion that came up was to hold the seminar on a different day 
from Jumu'ah prayer. By combining the seminar with Jumu'ah, many people 
who wanted to attend the seminar were unable to do so. Insha'Allah, 
separating the two events next year may allow more people to participate.
I also believe we need to build a larger outreach team instead of 
relying on only one or two people. We need brothers and sisters who are 
willing to contact masajid and Islamic centers well in advance of the 
convention. It would also be beneficial to prepare flyers in several 
languages, Insha'Allah, including Urdu, Arabic, Bengali, Somali, and 
Spanish, so more members of our community can learn about the work of 
the NFB Blind Muslims Group.
Another idea is to create short video testimonials about the NFB Blind 
Muslims Group. Brother Nadir, would it be possible to help organize 
these through Islam by Touch on YouTube? It would be especially 
meaningful if brothers and sisters could share their experiences in 
their own languages. Hearing someone's story in your native language can 
have a powerful impact and help others feel welcomed and represented.
We also need more people who are willing to actively serve our 
community, not just talk about what we should do. During the convention, 
I met several blind Muslims from the Austin area. They shared that they 
had chosen not to participate in our group because they felt their 
previous requests for help regarding issues within the Islamic community 
had gone unanswered. I don't know who they contacted, and they did not 
reach out to me personally, but it was very disheartening to hear. We 
should all strive to ensure that no one seeking support feels ignored.
If someone contacts you and you are not able or do not feel comfortable 
helping them directly, please don't simply dismiss them. Instead, let 
the group know or pass their contact information to another member who 
can make the initial connection. Together we can make sure people 
receive the support they are seeking.
I also met several blind Muslim parents who are looking for support that 
they have not been able to find through existing Islamic parent groups. 
I believe this is an area where we, as the NFB Blind Muslims Group, can 
make a real difference. We should take ownership of supporting blind 
Muslim parents and their families, Insha'Allah.
On another note, I recently spoke with the ScriptTalk team. Their 
accessible prescription program supports several languages. Insha'Allah, 
I plan to bring the ScriptTalk device to our upcoming Islamic Health 
Fair so I can demonstrate this free service and also share information 
about the NFB Blind Muslims Group with our community.
Finally, the NFB of Texas State Convention is coming up this November in 
San Antonio. Since the convention begins on a Friday, I need to let 
Norma know who will be attending, whether you would like halal meals at 
the banquet, and how many people will need prayer space and Jumu'ah 
accommodations.
If you are planning to attend the Texas State Convention, please let me 
know by August 1st, Insha'Allah, whether you will be attending, whether 
you would like a halal meal at the banquet, and whether you will need 
Jumu'ah and prayer accommodations.
I would also like to ask our Texas members to help begin outreach to 
Islamic centers across the state. We have connections in San Antonio, 
Austin, the Dallas area, and the Houston area, and together we can start 
inviting more blind Muslims to participate.
Brother Nadir, would you be available to organize Jumu'ah again this 
year? If not, I know an imam who has already told me he would be willing 
to assist, Insha'Allah.
People often say, "Let's go build the Federation." I would like to add: 
Let's also go build a more inclusive Ummah, Insha'Allah.
Jazakum Allahu Khayran for your feedback, your service, and your 
commitment to supporting blind Muslims throughout our communities.
fee amanAllah
As-salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh,
I would like to propose an idea for next year's convention, Insha'Allah.
I would like to suggest that the sisters in our group consider sharing a 
suite at the convention hotel. It should be able to accommodate around 
10 sisters, depending on the room configuration. A suite would also 
provide a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker, making it easier to 
store and prepare snacks and light meals during the convention.
Insha'Allah, we could purchase halal snacks ahead of time, and perhaps 
some of the Muslim sisters in the Austin area would be willing to 
provide a meal or two during the convention. Another possibility would 
be to seek a sponsor to help with the cost of food.
I also think we should work with the convention organizers well in 
advance to improve the halal banquet meal. This year's meal left much to 
be desired. If possible, I would like to explore whether a Muslim-owned 
catering business could provide the halal banquet meal, assuming they 
are able to contract with the hotel. I will check into that, Insha'Allah.
If we know how many halal meals are needed well ahead of time, rather 
than only a few days before the banquet, I believe we will have a much 
better chance of receiving a higher-quality meal.
Having a suite would also help keep many of us together at the 
convention hotel instead of being spread across overflow hotels and 
having to walk back and forth in the hot weather. It would give us a 
place to gather, share meals, support one another, and strengthen our 
friendships throughout the convention.
To the brothers, I encourage you to think about whether a similar 
arrangement might work for you as well, Insha'Allah.
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and any additional ideas you 
may have.
Jazakum Allahu Khayran.
3rd message from what's up, we are hoast a zoom call on July 18 or 19 to 
discuss the above issues. If you cant attend, please e-mail me with your 
suggestions at
halbright1981 at gmail.com let me know if you want to share with the group 
or if you want to stay anomymous. I have not found who wants Saturday or 
sunday or i can do both days inshallah.
salaam wa-nor sister Heather



More information about the NFB-Muslims mailing list