[Nfb-new-hampshire] NFB convention and Braille Monitor

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 14 00:04:14 UTC 2011

I have returned from the NFB convention in Orlando, and have recovered. Despite hopes for record attendance, we only hit 2970, far from the record 3475 in New Orleans around 1988.

Dr. Maurer announced the end of the cassette edition of the Braille Monitor after the December issue. Computer users will be encouraged to download it, but no decision has yet been made as to what will be done for non-computer users. A possibility is thumb drives, which can be cheaper than the cartridges. We are supposed to get a full announcement in September. In answer to a question, we were told that it cannot be placed on BARD, but downloads will have to be from an NFB site. The reason for the change is the same as that for NLS, blank cassettes are getting harder to find, as are spare parts for repairing tape duplicators.

Ed Meskys