[Nfb-new-hampshire] an invitation

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 25 12:06:37 UTC 2011

We invite all, not only members, to the Lakes Region annual picnic, as
below. We try to announce all blind-related events on our monthly calendar.
If you want your event listed, please send Ed Meskys details well before the
actual event. If you want to be sure to receive future calendars please
request being added to the regular mailing list.

Subject: annual picnicannual picnic

LAKES REGION NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND of NH NEWSLETTER for July 2011

We invite all persons interested in matters concerning blindness and low
vision to our meetings. We normally meet at 10:30 AM on the 3rd Saturday of
the month at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church on Parade Road (Rt 106), a
little north of Elm St., Laconia. Our next meeting will be the third
Saturday of September. In July we are having our annual picnic, and we do
not meet in August.

In May we discussed the upcoming Blind Awareness Walk at the NH Association
for the Blind, and we heard from Penny Duffy and her blind daughter, Abby,
who had dropped in on our meeting. We had a very enjoyable time interacting
with her, and she is working on starting a NH affiliate of the National
Organization of Parents of Blind Children.

On Saturday July 16 we will have our annual picnic at Ellacoya State Park in
Gilford. We start gathering at 10:30 and start festivities at 11. All
members and their families, and all other blind persons, are invited to join
us. The organization will provide hot dogs and hamburgers, and some diet
drinks. Participants are invited to bring something to share. After lunch we
will have games with appropriate prizes.

At the gate tell the officer you are with the blind group and you will be
admitted free and directed to our area. We have picnic tables right next to
our parking area, only 20 feet from the water, and a very short distance
from the bathrooms. We suggest you bring folding chairs for your comfort.

We need an approximate count to know how much food to buy, and number and
ages of children so we can have appropriate prizes. All the games are blind
playable, and sighted people are asked to cover their eyes when appropriate.
We would like you to indicate what you will bring, so as to avoid, for
example, ten potato salads and nothing else. Please call secretary/vice
president Deborah Moore (960-0162) several days in advance to give us time
to shop. If you need a ride, please tell Deborah, and your approximate
location. If you can provide rides, please give YOUR approximate location.
We will do our best to match rider and driver.

==

Do you know another blind or low vision person? Invite them to join us. We
are the blind working to help the blind by sharing information, techniques,
resources, and socialization. Help bring others to share with us. With their
permission give us their regular or e-mail addresses so we can send
announcements. We produce this newsletter in large print and by email. The
cassette version is temporarily suspended as my high speed tape duplicator
is out of order. Please request your preferred format.
edmeskys at roadrunner.com, 253-6207.

If you need help with transportation please call Ed Meskys several days
before the meeting and we will see what we can do to help.

CALENDAR

NOTE: I try to list all blind related events I become aware of. Please send
news of other events to add to the list .

Note no June chapter meeting because of motorcycle invasion.

Sun-Fri, Jul 3-8, NFB National Convention, Orlando FL

Sat Jul 16, chapter picnic, 11 AM, Ellacoya State Park.

Sat Jul 23, Dog Guide users meeting, 1-3:30 PM, Red Blazer Restaurant,
Concord, Dutch treat lunch, speaker.

A Friday in September, Blind Technology Users Meeting, NHAB, Concord,
9-noon. Phone 800-464-3075 for exact date when these will resume.

Sat Sept 17, Lakes Region Chapter meeting, 11 AM, Good Shepherd Lutheran
Church, Laconia