[Nfb-new-hampshire] Fw: [Chapter-presidents] National Federation of the Blind ApplaudsIntroduction of Fair Wages Legislation

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 27 15:53:11 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Lewis, Anil
To: Lewis, Anil
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:42 AM
Subject: [Chapter-presidents] National Federation of the Blind
ApplaudsIntroduction of Fair Wages Legislation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds
Introduction of Fair Wages Legislation

Urges Passage of Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act

Baltimore, Maryland (February 27, 2013): The National Federation of the
Blind, the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans,
today applauded the introduction of the Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities Act of 2013 (H.R. 831) by Representative Gregg Harper (R-MS).
Congressman Harper, along with eleven original co-sponsors, introduced the
Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 to repeal section 14(c)
of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and to phase out the discriminatory
practice of paying workers with disabilities pennies per hour.

Congressman Gregg Harper said: "Section 14(c) of the FLSA, enacted out of
ignorance about the true capacity of people with disabilities, currently
prevents over 300,000 people with disabilities from gaining access to the
work and training environments that have been proven to be more cost
effective and to produce more competitive integrated work outcomes.
Subminimum-wage work is just an expression of low expectations that instills
a false sense of incapacity in individuals, who could become competitively
employed with the proper training and support."

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind and our partners representing the 55
million Americans with disabilities fight every day to obtain the
fundamental freedoms that nondisabled citizens take for granted.  We applaud
Congressman Harper for having the courage to confront over seventy years of
entrenched but false thinking about the capacity of people with
disabilities.  We strongly urge his colleagues in both houses of the United
States Congress to exhibit the same courage by recognizing our right to have
the same workforce protections as every other American citizen."

The National Federation of the Blind needs your support to ensure that blind
children get an equal education, to connect blind veterans with the training
and services they need, and to help seniors who are losing vision continue
to live independent and fulfilling lives. To make a donation, please go to
www.nfb.org.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and most
influential nationwide membership organization of blind people in the United
States.  Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil rights and
equality of blind Americans, and develops innovative education, technology,
and training programs to provide the blind and those who are losing vision
with the tools they need to become independent and successful.  We need your
support.  To make a donation, please go to www.nfb.org.