[NFB-NM] {Definitely Spam?} The Braille Monitor, December 2016

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 04:17:02 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org [mailto:brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org]
On Behalf Of Brian Buhrow
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:21 PM
To: brl-monitor at nfbcal.org
Subject: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, December 2016

BRAILLE MONITOR

                       Vol. 59, No. 11  December 2016

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

  Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash drive, by
                                     the
                      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

                          Mark Riccobono, President

                          telephone: (410) 659-9314
                         email address: nfb at nfb.org
                     website address: http://www.nfb.org
                      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org
                  NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300
       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind
                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice
            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and
orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles
for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national
office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation about forty dollars per year.
Members are invited, and nonmembers are requested, to cover the
subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to National Federation
of the Blind and sent to:

                      National Federation of the Blind
                   200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
                          Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES
BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;
BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR
OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829
) 2016 by the National Federation of the Blind
      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick
or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a
National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the
familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and
a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This
smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad
covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one
position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.
(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,
the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is
inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital
materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,
when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.
      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to
your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb
drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in
order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with
the drive when you return the device.

Vol. 59, No. 11                                          December 2016

Contents

Convention Bulletin 2017

Illustration: Congressman David Young Visits the Institute

What the President Hears
by Mark Riccobono

2016 NFB BELL Academy Highlights
by Carlton Walker

Highlights of Each 2016 BELL Academy Site
by the BELL Academy Team

Teaching to Read in Two Weeks at BELL Academy
by Sheena Manuel

Visually Impaired Kids from St. Louis-Area Braille Camp Learn Life Skills
with MetroLink
by Ashley Lisenby

Celebrate the National Federation of the Blind
by Patti Chang

Social Security, SSI, and Medicare Facts for 2017
by Parnell Diggs

La Otra (The Other): Thoughts on My Culture and My Disability
by Danielle Trevino

Making a Way Where There is No Way: Blind Seminary Student Leads
Collaborative Process to Gain Access to Biblical Languages
by Annette Brill Bergstresser

Living the Life She Wants
by Amy Buresh

Remembering Tara
by Dan Facchini

A Sign of the Times
by Nancy Burns

The 2017 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award
by Carla McQuillan

The 2017 Blind Educator of the Year Award
by Edward Bell

The Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
by James Gashel

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Rosen Shingle Creek]

Convention Bulletin 2017
Rosen Shingle Creek Resort

      It is time to begin planning for the 2017 convention of the National
Federation of the Blind. We will again meet in Orlando, this year returning
to the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek Resort. The dates for the 2017
convention are July 10 through July 15.
      Our hotel rates are enviably competitive for a resort hotel such as
Shingle Creek. For the 2017 convention they are singles and doubles, $83;
and for triples and quads, $89. In addition to the room rates there will be
a tax, which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for
children under seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed
is requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.
      For 2017 convention room reservations you can call the hotel at (866)
996-6338 after January 1. You may also write directly to the Rosen Shingle
Creek, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. The hotel
will want a deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit card number
or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged
against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $95 check.
If a reservation is cancelled before Thursday, June 1, 2017, half of the
deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.
      All Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that include
plush Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-speed
internet capabilities, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and hair
dryers. Guests can enjoy four outdoor swimming pools, a full-service spa,
and fifteen dining/lounging options from fine-dining and elaborate buffets
to casual dining both indoors and poolside.
      The 2017 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a
truly exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and
rededication to the goals and work of our movement. Make plans now to be a
part of it. Preconvention seminars for parents of blind children and other
groups and set-up of the exhibit hall will take place on Monday, July 10,
and adjournment will be Saturday, July 15, following the banquet.
Convention registration and registration packet pick-up will begin on
Tuesday, July 11, and both Tuesday and Wednesday will be filled with
meetings of divisions and committees, including the Wednesday morning
annual meeting, open to all, of the board of directors of the National
Federation of the Blind.
General convention sessions will begin on Thursday, July 13, and continue
through the banquet on Saturday, July 15. To assure yourself a room in the
headquarters hotel at convention rates, you must make reservations early.
The hotel will be ready to take your call or deal with your written request
by January 1.
      Remember that as usual we need door prizes from state affiliates,
local chapters, and individuals. Once again prizes should be small in size
but large in value. Cash, of course, is always appropriate and welcome. As
a general rule we ask that prizes of all kinds have a value of at least $25
and not include alcohol. Drawings will occur steadily throughout the
convention sessions, and you can anticipate a grand prize of truly
impressive proportions to be drawn at the banquet. You may bring door
prizes with you or send them ahead of time (identifying the item and donor
and listing the value in print and Braille) to Bob Lessne, 3019 Lake Jean
Drive, Orlando, Florida 32817; phone (305) 271-0012.
      The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings of
our special interest groups, committees, and divisions; the most
stimulating and provocative program items of any meeting of the blind in
the world; the chance to renew friendships in our Federation family; and
the unparalleled opportunity to be where the real action is and where
decisions are being made-all of these mean you will not want to miss being
a part of the 2017 national convention. We'll see you in Orlando in July.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Native Iowans Marc Maurer, Patricia Maurer, David Young,
and Mary Ellen Jernigan at the Jernigan Institute]
[PHOTO CAPTION: Parnell Diggs, Patricia Maurer, Marc Maurer, David Young,
Melissa Riccobono, Mark Riccobono, Mary Ellen Jernigan, and John Pari]

Congressman David Young Visits the Institute

      At the 2016 National Federation of the Blind Washington Seminar,
members of the Iowa affiliate encouraged Congressman David Young to visit
the Jernigan Institute given that Baltimore is only about forty-five
minutes away from DC. On April 11, Congressman Young took them up on the
invitation. The Congressman was among old friends given that he had already
signed on as a cosponsor to the TIME Act and the Space Available Act.
During his visit Congressman Young and his chief of staff were able to talk
with President Riccobono and the current First Lady of the National
Federation of the Blind, Melissa Riccobono; Immediate Past President Marc
Maurer and former First Lady Patricia Maurer; Mary Ellen Jernigan, the
former assistant director of the Iowa Commission for the Blind; John Pari,
executive director for advocacy and policy; and Parnell Diggs, director of
government affairs. The connection to Iowa was made obvious given that the
Maurers and Mrs. Jernigan both came to Baltimore from his state, and the
rich history of the Iowa Commission for the Blind provided a stellar
testament to the verity of the philosophy which is at the core of the
National Federation of the Blind. After lunch the Congressman was given a
tour by Mr. Diggs and Mr. Pari. These kinds of visits are helpful in
building relationships and in demonstrating to members of Congress the
accomplishments of blind people through their own organized efforts.

What the President Hears

by Mark Riccobono

      I hear of hundreds of personal life-changing experiences as I travel,
and I read the notes, letters, and emails from all of you. With love, hope,
and determination the National Federation of the Blind makes dreams come
true one life at a time.
      Sometimes our state affiliates ask people to talk about why they are
members of the National Federation of the Blind. These segments are often
dubbed "Why I am a Federationist." They explain best the impact we have on
the lives of ordinary blind people.
      One of the memorable answers to this came from a woman who serves as
a caretaker for her husband. Let's call her Ann. Her home is in Illinois.
Before she was introduced to the NFB, she did not leave her house alone,
and she did not read. Those things seemed impossible and scary. Ann had no
idea how a blind person was going to read or how travel was possible. She
thought she would simply stay in and take care of her husband.
      Ann joined one of our myriad at-large chapters that meet by phone. It
was perfect, since Ann did not believe that she was capable of getting out
on her own.
      During chapter meetings and in phone calls, Ann talked about her
beliefs and her worries. Her chapter president, who resided nearby, spent
time with this new member and went out with Ann and showed by example that
travel can be done with proper techniques. Our member now goes to take
classes alone, and she is excited to be attending her second full state
convention in 2016. Fellow Federationists have applauded each of Ann's new
steps toward independence. She puts it best, "I have utilized my cane
skills by going out alone, and I am even traveling on paratransit or our
disabled/senior neighborhood bus." Fear no longer governs her getting out.
      Braille is now her friend after encouragement to learn it from other
blind people. Our Illinois affiliate has a Braille reading group that meets
weekly to practice Braille. The group is called Literacy Is For Everyone or
the LIFE group for short. Ann joins our Literacy Is For Everyone group on a
regular basis and in fact takes a lead in sending out the notices. Reading
was not something that came easy, but our member loves to read now and says
she doesn't know what she would do without Braille. Ann says, "Every blind
person should learn it."
      This enthusiastic smart lady has come so far that she now serves as
the president of her at-large chapter. The Federation gifted her with
mobility, literacy, and most of all helped her to gain her confidence back.
All of those are powerful reasons for Ann to be a proud member of the
National Federation of the Blind.
      One more meaningful "Why I am a Federationist" sample story also
hails from Illinois:
      Patti joined the Federation and became active just before she moved
to Chicago. Patti talks about wondering how she was going to manage the
University of Chicago Law School and the city of Chicago. "I was coming
from a small town in Michigan and had no ability to travel in a big city. I
also worried about money-I didn't have any."
      Patti speaks in terms of paying it forward when answering why she is
a Federationist. "The Federation gave me a nationwide network of mentors
and friends who spent time, energy, and sometimes their own money to help
me become a competent blind person in a big city."
      When she moved to Chicago, the big city, Federationists helped her
move. Mobility lessons were frequent. When she lacked finances in college,
several Federationists quietly paid for meals after or before chapter
meetings. When she graduated, her state president even offered his home for
a graduation party. And, when her first child began to crawl, it was a
member of the NFB who suggested that "bells on the shoes might be a good
idea if one wanted to track a child."
      It is that constant ability to network as part of a huge "family"
that matters most to Patti. Along the way there were also two college
scholarships and much more, but the mentoring, teaching, and the friendship
have lasted more than three decades.
      Patti is grateful for all that the Federation has given her and all
that it continues giving. So she tries to pay it forward. We want the next
generation to live the lives they want. We even hope that things will be
easier for our children. Patti says, "I can never pay back all I have
received, but I have to try to pay some of it forward."
      Both of these members help explain why people become-and why people
remain-members of the National Federation of the Blind. I hope to share
more of our stories with you in the future. I hope you enjoy reading these
as much as I do. The Federation truly changes lives, and I am anxious to
tell you how through our members and those we serve.
----------

2016 NFB BELL Academy Highlights

by Carlton Walker

>From the Editor: Carlton Walker is a woman of significant motivation,
intelligence, and accomplishment. She is a lawyer, a teacher, a past
president of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, the
mother of fifteen-year-old Anna, and currently serves as the manager of
Braille education programs for our Jernigan Institute. As part of her
current duties she directs the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
(BELL) Academy, and we are devoting significant space in this issue to this
life-transforming program. Here is what Carlton has to say:

NFB BELL Academy
      Throughout this country, there are blind children who cannot read or
write efficiently, who do not enjoy independent mobility, and who cannot
engage in age-appropriate activities of daily living, like making a
sandwich. Over a three-month period this summer, hundreds of NFB members
gave their time and energy to provide much-needed blindness skills to more
than 320 blind students. Through the NFB BELL (Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning) Academy, thirty affiliates hosted forty-five sites
at which students learned nonvisual skills in a supportive atmosphere of
high expectations.
      NFB BELL Academy targets students ages four through twelve.
Nevertheless, affiliates welcomed older students who had not yet had
quality instruction in Braille, cane travel, or other nonvisual skills.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Cassie reads what she just wrote on the Braillewriter at
the Baltimore BELL Academy.]
Learning Braille
      Not surprisingly, one finds Braille at an NFB BELL Academy-a lot of
Braille. On the first day, students learn about Louis Braille and his
invention, which gives blind people of all ages the ability to read
efficiently and independently, the ability to write and edit documents, the
freedom to read and write music, and serves as the basis for Abraham
Nemeth's Math and Science Code.
      NFB BELL Academy students celebrate Louis Braille by throwing a
birthday party, during which they make Braille goodies (cupcakes or cookies
topped with icing on which the students and adults create Braille letters
with candies). Louisiana students celebrated in style with a water slide, a
bounce house, a snow cone maker, a popcorn machine, a piqata, and much
more. Students at other sites Brailled birthday cards to Mr. Braille, and
some, including the rookie NFB BELL Academy in Indiana, used birthday
balloons to spell out "Happy Birthday"-in Braille, of course.
Other Braille initiatives included Delaware's Braille Bucks program, where
students earned Braille Bucks for reading Braille books at home. The
students then spent their Braille Bucks for desired items.
      Braille reading and writing classes tailored instruction to students,
from complete novices to excellent Braille readers. With support from
caring and knowledgeable NFB members, students grew in their Braille
skills. Each NFB BELL Academy student also received a free slate and stylus
to keep.
      Technology is also important to students at NFB BELL Academy. In
addition to many opportunities to read and write paper Braille, our
students enjoyed varied engagement with and instruction in technology that
can provide even more Braille for them to read. In Oklahoma a
representative from ABLE Tech, an agency which provides demonstrations and
short-term loans of accessible technology to Oklahomans, spent a day at NFB
BELL Academy, giving one-on-one demonstrations of several devices,
including Braille displays, iPads, money readers, digital personal
assistants (notetakers), and a talking Perkins Brailler.
      Students at the NFB BELL Academy in Nebraska had the opportunity to
meet and speak with a published author, Travis Bossard. Travis co-authors
the Oskar and Klaus books, which recount the adventures of a blind cat,
Oskar, and his much-less-adventurous sighted brother, Klaus. Travis shared
with the students how the books came about as well as his role in writing
the books and producing audio versions of them.
      NFB BELL Academy students gave back as well. New Jersey students
taught a group of sighted preschoolers the basics of Braille and provided
each of the preschoolers with a card bearing his/her name in Braille.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Stormie uses her cane and her walker in South Carolina]

The Power of Canes

      NFB members shared with NFB BELL Academy students the freedom cane
travel provides. Several sites hosted cane scavenger hunts in various
places, including malls, grocery stores, and parks. The NFB BELL Academy in
South Carolina implemented a program called "Anywhere and Everywhere,"
geared to the purpose of increasing awareness of travel. Students learned
about multiple modes of travel, including white cane travel, car travel,
and bus, train, and plane travel on the local, regional, and national
levels. Students used chairs and their imaginations to take train and
airplane trips. Students also used tactile maps and cardinal directions in
the classroom on a daily basis.

Touching History

      For too long, the "no-touch" policy at many museums has kept blind
individuals from truly experiencing the exhibits on display. At several NFB
BELL Academy sites, students and mentors broke down those "no-touch"
barriers and had the opportunity to interact with museum exhibits in
meaningful ways.
      The NFB BELL Academy in Kentucky was held at the American Printing
House for the Blind, and there was a field trip to the museum there. Other
museum visits included the Museum of Idaho (where students touched
Revolutionary war relics); the Jewish Museum of Maryland; the College Park
Aviation Museum; the Leonardo Museum in Utah; the Academy of Sciences in
Washington, DC; the American Whistle Corporation factory in Columbus, Ohio;
and many others.
      Students in Northern California investigated the Turtle Bay
Exploration Park, and those in Southern California learned about their
local history at the San Bernardino County Museum. Students in Iowa also
had the opportunity to tactually explore a 3-D printer in the Iowa Library
for the Blind, while Tennessee NFB BELL Academy students dissected dogfish
sharks.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Kyleigh holds a bowling ball, ready to roll in Lincolnton,
North Carolina.]

Recreational Activities

      Our NFB BELL Academy students enjoyed many different recreational
opportunities. Colorado students enjoyed exploring the Cave of the Winds
and engaging in a rock climbing activity. Georgia students engaged in
accessible physical activities: playing beep kickball, using tandem
bicycles, and enjoying adapted soccer at the Coan Recreation Center.
Several sites engaged in the Paralympic sport of beep baseball, and the
students at the NFB BELL Academy in Indiana had the privilege of working
with National Beep Baseball Association Hall of Famer Ron Brown, who later
served as the head coach for the 2016 World Series Champion team, the Indy
Thunder.
      Bounce houses proved popular at many sites, while Texas students
enjoyed a trip to a trampoline park, students in North Carolina went
bowling, and Mississippi students had the opportunity to go horseback
riding. Students at the NFB BELL Academy in New York traveled to a movie
theater to watch Pete's Dragon and learned how to use descriptive video
technology.
      At NFB BELL Academy, recreational fun does not require a field trip.
Among many other activities, the students in Arizona had fun with life-
sized games of Hungry Hungry Hippos. In this game students pair into teams
of two, and each team has a scooter and a basket. One student lies on the
scooter, belly down, and holds a lightweight laundry basket in front with
outstretched arms. The other student holds the legs of the one on the
scooter. Several teams gather around in a large circle, and all students
wear learning shades (sleep shades) throughout the game. Next, an adult
drops a bucket full of small, ball-pit balls into the center of the floor.
Each team works to get as many balls in the basket as possible by pushing
the student with the basket (the "hungry hippo") into the circle, capturing
the balls with the basket, and pulling them back to the team's area before
time runs out. In subsequent games partners take turns being the hungry
hippo.

Gifts of Love

      Every student at each NFB BELL Academy site receives a free slate and
stylus to keep and, through the NFB Free White Cane Program, each student
also receives a long white cane. This year students also received a water
bottle bearing the NFB BELL Academy logo. These water bottles are BPA-free
and dishwasher safe, and we hope our students use them all year long and
remember the great fun they had and the skills they gained at NFB BELL
Academy.
      While the gifts noted above are important, they pale in comparison to
the gift of NFB BELL Academy itself. NFB members raise money year-round to
provide support for one or more NFB BELL Academy sites in their affiliate.
NFB members also devote countless hours in preparation for NFB BELL
Academy, including site selection, preparation of materials, planning field
trips, etc. This summer, hundreds of NFB members gave freely of their time,
their knowledge, and themselves during NFB BELL Academy instruction.
Hundreds of students received instruction, grew in self-confidence, and
built relationships that can last a lifetime.
      Each of us supports NFB BELL Academy, either directly at our
affiliate's NFB BELL Academy, or indirectly through support of our Free
White Cane Program, our Free Slate and Stylus Program, and our promise to
each blind person we meet: together with love, hope, and determination, we
transform dreams into reality.
----------

Highlights of Each 2016 NFB BELL Academy Site

by The Bell Academy Team

[PHOTO CAPTION: Both wearing learning shades and using their canes,
EvaMaria plays Braille Twister against Isaac.]
ARIZONA
Tucson
      The NFB BELL Academy in Arizona kicked off on Memorial Day with
twenty-two students. Students at all literacy levels were empowered to keep
track of their daily schedules through the use of three large tactile and
Brailled schedules for each group. These schedules were posted in the main
community room where students started their day, ate lunch, and concluded
each day. This allowed the students to take responsibility for their own
schedules without having schedules to carry around.
      Arizona's NFB BELL Academy also introduced new toys, such as Barbie
dolls, superhero figures, and Disney princess figures, and each toy came
with its own miniature white cane and a pair of learning shades. The
students enjoyed playing with toys using the tools they used at NFB BELL
Academy. Older students met with young adult blind mentors during lunch to
talk about their fears of going into middle school. This was a great
opportunity for the older NFB BELL Academy students to really open up and
share their fears about being a blind student in a public middle school
where "being cool" is the new game. Mentors spoke with them about the
importance of taking part in social activities at school, how to join clubs
at school, how to make new friends, and how to be social when it's much
easier sometimes to stay secluded in the safety of home. Students and
parents enjoyed this activity, and they have requested regular sessions
each lunch time to talk more with mentors.
      Arizona's youngest participant this summer was three years old. He
came to the program with parents and grandparents who were nervous about
leaving their little boy. However, he soon teamed up with an older student
in NFB BELL Academy, and they were inseparable.
      The Arizona NFB BELL Academy incorporated dancing and worked on
having students using their canes and shades to learn popular dances that
they would take part in during a school dance. Students and staff alike
enjoyed these activities even though many students gave the, "But I don't
dance," excuse at first. When they realized that all the staff and students
were dancing, it didn't take long for them to get up on their feet and give
the Cupid Shuffle a chance. They learned about the importance of giving new
activities a try and how this can be tough when you are scared of looking
silly but how being silly sometimes helps you find new friends. Students
learned that it doesn't matter what you can see, but what you can do-and
the main part of that is the word "do." If you don't even try-you aren't
doing anything.

CALIFORNIA
Redding
      A local newspaper, the Record Searchlight, covered the Redding,
California, NFB BELL Academy's field trip to Turtle Bay Museum.
<http://www.redding.com/news/local/blind-girls-learn-skills-at-turtle-bay-
38a22093-eaf7-4437-e053-0100007fdb1c--388484271.html> (Note: one must
complete a short survey to access this print article and video.)
      The two students of this NFB BELL Academy learned Braille and
nonvisual skills, but they also received much more. These students had
never met other individuals who are blind, either peers or adults. Since
the NFB BELL Academy ended, the students have kept in contact with each
other and with their blind mentors.

San Bernardino
      The students of the San Bernardino NFB BELL Academy spent ten
wonderful days engaging in hands-on experiential learning, including a trip
to the San Bernardino County Museum. Each student also received an
introduction to using the long white cane as well as instruction and
multiple opportunities to use Braille.

COLORADO
Colorado Springs
      Students at the Colorado Springs NFB BELL Academy took full advantage
of the outdoor experiences in their area. In addition to rich instruction
in Braille, cane travel, and other nonvisual instruction students received,
they enjoyed a field trip to the Cave of the Winds and other field trips,
where they went rock climbing with their blind peers and blind adult role
models.

Westminster
      Westminster NFB BELL Academy students augmented their classroom
learning with a field trip tour of the DoubleTree Hotel. On that trip,
students and their blind mentors rode a city bus to a recreation center to
go swimming.

CONNECTICUT
Wethersfield (Bridgeport area)
      Connecticut's NFB BELL Academy provided its students an opportunity
to practice nonvisual skills in an engaging, authentic day at the beach.
Students enjoyed working with peers and learning from the blind adult role
models.

DELAWARE
Bear
      Five students in grades two through five made up the Delaware NFB
BELL Academy. Each day, they engaged in nonvisual skills in the areas of
reading and writing Braille, independent cane travel, and daily living
skills with their blind adult mentors. Students even worked on their
academic schoolwork (Extended School Year-ESY-goals) at the NFB BELL
Academy.
      The Delaware NFB BELL Academy instituted an incentive program to
encourage students to read Braille books each evening of the program. For
each book taken home and returned read, they would receive a Braille Buck.
While the students' reading skills varied, each was motivated by the
Braille Bucks incentive. At the end of the program, students used their
Braille bucks to purchase Braille books and other items to take home and
keep.
      Students also enjoyed a field trip to a movie theater where they had
the opportunity to enjoy a movie with audio description. Each student also
used money skills learned at NFB BELL Academy to purchase the movie ticket,
and each requested the necessary audio headset independently.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Washington, DC
      Students at the NFB BELL Academy in Washington, DC, took full
advantage of their proximity to Smithsonian-affiliated museums. The Academy
revolved around science. Learning shades were renamed "science goggles,"
and students learned the principles of being a good scientist. They
developed goals for the two weeks and celebrated the birthday of Dr.
Abraham Nemeth (the blind mathematician who invented a code for blind
people to do math and science.)
      Later in the program, students visited the National Science Academy
and engaged in accessible science experiments. Nevertheless, the first
day's first science experiment, the dissection of a Minion. piqata to find
out what it had inside, was a big hit.

GEORGIA
Albany
      Four students kicked off the 2016 NFB BELL Academy season on May 23
in Albany, Georgia. They concentrated on building nonvisual skills and
improving Braille reading speed and enjoyed the mentorship of blind adults.
They grew in both skills and self-confidence.

Atlanta
      Atlanta's NFB BELL Academy provided twenty-two students many formal
and informal learning opportunities. Field trips included: At Main Event
Atlanta students bowled, did a low ropes course, engaged in social time
during lunch, and some even enjoyed arcade games. On a sports day at Coan
Recreation Center, students engaged in beep kickball, tandem biking, and
adapted soccer with Columbus State University Professor Jeanine Wert, who
specializes in adapted physical education for blind and low vision people;
on another field trip, students enjoyed a mobility lesson using MARTA
(Atlanta's train system) to the Loews Hotel where they were greeted by the
chef and his team. Students then received a tour of the kitchen and worked
with the pastry chef making cookies. Students and mentors were treated to a
wonderful family-style lunch where the students had the opportunity to
practice table manners and etiquette. And students also traveled to
Historic Fourth Ward Park Playground and Splashpad for lunch and a little
recreation time.
      Musician and steel pannist Paul Vogler visited the NFB BELL Academy in
Atlanta one afternoon for music instruction. He brought all of his
instruments for the students to explore and play. Bricks 4 Kidz, a LEGO-
building organization came one morning to show the NFB BELL Academy
students many ways to have fun with building LEGOs.
      A local news station did a video segment on the Atlanta NFB BELL
Academy; it is still available on their web page:
<http://www.wsbtv.com/community/people-2-people/summer-camp-helps-blind-
children-find-independence_20160620203651/353448743>
Savannah
      The Savannah Center for Blind and Low Vision hosted the Savannah NFB
BELL Academy. Students concentrated on Braille reading and writing and
expanding their skills in these areas.

IDAHO
Boise
      Boise NFB BELL Academy students developed their Braille, cane travel,
and nonvisual skills both in the classroom setting and in the Boise
community. Students welcomed experts who came in to provide a dance class,
a pottery class, and a drama improvisation class. Also, students were
treated to a presentation which replicated bird calls and taught the
students how to develop their listening skills in order to discern
different birds' calls.
      A field trip to Babby Farms provided the Boise NFB BELL Academy
students the opportunity to interact with exotic animals, including
kangaroos, lemurs, sloths, and monkeys. Students also visited a fire
station to explore the equipment and find out more about this important
occupation from firefighters who serve the community. Students also visited
the Talking Book Library and learned how to access these materials
independently.

Coeur D'Alene
      The rookie NFB BELL Academy site provided instruction in fundamental
nonvisual skills and also provided students the opportunity to use tools
which allowed them to draw nonvisually and independently.
      The BELL Academy again got recognition from the local news affiliate;
the segment is available for viewing here:
<http://www.krem.com/mb/news/local/kootenai-county/coeur-dalene-hosts-first-
area-camp-for-blind-children/291217264>.

Idaho Falls
      Students at the Idaho Falls NFB BELL Academy enjoyed the Museum of
Idaho where students touched revolutionary war relics. Students also
explored an equestrian center and traveled by city bus to a restaurant for
lunch. BYU Radio reported on the Idaho Falls NFB BELL Academy, both
transcript and audio are available here: <http://byuidahoradio.org/academy-
helps-blind-children-succeed-future>

ILLINOIS
Chicago
      Students at the NFB BELL Academy in Chicago embarked upon field trips
to grocery stores for both scavenger hunts and for the purpose of
purchasing needed groceries. They also traveled to a community park for a
game of beep kickball. Students used the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) to
visit Chicago's Millennium Park to explore tactile art sculptures.
Additionally, a trip to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum allowed students
to interact with both live and preserved animals.

Springfield
      NFB BELL Academy students in Springfield engaged in community service
activities on a field trip to a residential home for senior citizens.
Students read to the residents and enjoyed craft time with them.
Springfield provided daily training for parents of NFB BELL Academy
students, including a visit to the state technology center, a discussion
with an orientation and mobility (O&M) instructor, and an interview with a
blind college student. The Springfield NFB BELL Academy celebrated the end
of the program with a pizza picnic and games of beep kickball.

INDIANA
Indianapolis
      The first year of NFB BELL Academy in Indiana was packed with
learning and fun. Students travelled to a local mall to work on cane
travel, ordering at a restaurant, and using appropriate manners and
behavior in public. On another field trip students went to a local
McDonald's for lunch and an opportunity to explore the indoor play area.
Students practiced their cane travel skills by traveling to a local park
for recess on two occasions, and they learned how to play beep baseball
from a local beep baseball team (which went on to win the Beep Baseball
World Series later in the summer).
      NFB BELL Academy students also participated in a music class led by a
teacher of blind students and learned the basics of Music Braille. The NFB-
NEWSLINE. presented the benefits of NFB-NEWSLINE. and how to use it.
Students took a culminating field trip with their families to Monkey Joe's,
a local indoor bounce park.

IOWA
Des Moines
      Iowa NFB BELL Academy students used nonvisual and cane travel
techniques to walk to the Iowa Library for the Blind. There, the students
learned about where their Braille books are housed and how to obtain those
books themselves. Students also had the opportunity to tactually explore
the library's 3-D printer before observing the operation of the printer and
feeling several figures produced by it. Students also enjoyed a trip to the
Science Center of Iowa and had sack lunches there. Some were not
comfortable traveling with the kids all the way to the science center, so
we took a trip around the block on a different day so the students could
practice their travel skills. The instruction, the laughter, and the times
that mentors burst into song all came together to make an atmosphere of
joy, compatibility, and learning that worked to create our success.

KANSAS
Wichita
      Students at the first year NFB BELL Academy in Kansas concentrated on
fundamental skills: Braille reading and writing (in the new Braille Code,
Unified English Braille), cane travel, and nonvisual skills. A nine-year-
old learned, for the first time, how to pour from a pitcher into a cup,
which provided her a new-found sense of independence and accomplishment.
Students also practiced their nonvisual skills in new areas, including art.
They also visited the Old Cowtown Museum in Wichita and enjoyed hands-on
exploration of exhibits.

KENTUCKY
Louisville
      Kentucky hosted our smallest NFB BELL Academy this summer, providing
instruction to one student. Kentucky exemplified our belief that one
student needing blindness skill training is one student too many; every
student is important and valued. Kentucky's student formed close bonds with
both of the blind mentors who ran the program. She practiced cane travel
skills on stairs in the host facility, the American Printing House for the
Blind, and visited the facility's museum. She also learned to walk
independently on sidewalks and learned how to cross streets safely without
using vision on a field trip to a local convenience mart, where she
purchased items for an afternoon snack.

LOUISIANA
Ruston
[PHOTO CAPTION: Karli learns latitude and longitude using a tactile world
map while wearing her learning shades.]
      Louisiana was the first to host a residential NFB BELL Academy, and
they continue to grow bigger and better at their host site, the Louisiana
Center for the Blind. This year's fourteen students, teachers, and mentors
got to know one another at an opening ceremony where they celebrated Louis
Braille's birthday with a water slide, a bounce house, a snow cone maker, a
popcorn machine, a piqata, hula hoops, and much more. Field trips included
horseback riding, rock climbing, swimming, and a Bayou visit (with
barbeque, boating, fishing, ice cream making, and outdoor games).
Students enjoyed an NFB BELL Academy Mardi Gras Parade put on by blind
mentors. The Louisiana NFB BELL Academy also held a closing ceremony with
an NFB BELL Academy Carnival, which included hands-on activities and games
that families did together. These activities highlighted the skills
students developed through the week.

MARYLAND
Baltimore
[PHOTO CAPTION: Meredith, while wearing learning shades, runs with goal
ball at the Baltimore BELL Academy.]
      A dozen students enjoyed learning in fun and unexpected ways at the
oldest NFB BELL Academy site in Baltimore, Maryland. Students took trips to
a public swimming pool (they walked using their canes and learning shades),
the Jewish Museum of Maryland (where students explored a doctor theme), a
trip for younger students to the Maryland Library for the Blind, a trip for
older students to a restaurant where they got to order off of a Braille
menu, and a trip with older students to a grocery store where they got to
shop with a shopping assistant. The older students, in a group known as
"BELLX" also produced a newspaper, The Blind BELL, which chronicled the
activities of the Baltimore NFB BELL Academy.

Glenn Dale
      Students at the NFB BELL Academy in Glenn Dale had daily
opportunities to learn to read and write Braille and to engage in cane
travel, including climbing and descending stairs around the large facility
in which the program was housed. Glenn Dale students also traveled to the
College Park Aviation Museum and later to an aquatic center.

Salisbury
      Salisbury NFB BELL Academy students traveled to a local park for a
picnic. They also toured a farmers' market where they had the opportunity
to pet farm animals and engage in a plant activity.

MISSISSIPPI
Starkville
      Another residential NFB BELL Academy was held on the campus of
Mississippi State University in Starkville. One field trip included a swim
at the campus pool. On another field trip, students went horseback riding
at a local therapeutic horseback riding facility. There, they learned about
different types of horses and how the program acquires them. At the end,
students enjoyed feeding the horses.

MISSOURI
Richmond Heights (St. Louis area)
      The National Federation of the Blind of Missouri partnered with the
Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments to provide two
weeks of rich learning opportunities for seven NFB BELL Academy students.
Scaffolding learning enrichment allowed students to build skills in the
classroom which they would put to use on community field trips. For
example, on a field trip to The Magic House (a St. Louis children's
museum), students used their orientation and mobility skills to travel
independently on public transportation to the Museum. For lunch, students
used their money identification skills to purchase their own lunches at
McDonald's. We are always blessed to discover something that we think is
routine, but they think is new.  This summer we had a student who did not
know the joy of running, and we taught her the fun of doing this. We taught
her not only how to run but the fun that can be found in competition.  Our
staff had that competition rekindled in ourselves when we decided that we
were not content with the children being the only ones to enjoy running and
competed against ourselves to see who could get down the rope and back the
quickest.

NEBRASKA
Lincoln
[PHOTO CAPTION: Liz holds her cane and serves herself macaroni and cheese
from the buffet line while wearing learning shades.]
      In addition to learning Braille, cane travel, and other nonvisual
skills during formal instructional time, the seven students who attended
the NFB BELL Academy in Nebraska enjoyed a field trip to the Nebraska
Commission for the Blind Orientation Center. There they learned about the
center, prepared and ate lunch with center students and staff, and
completed a scavenger hunt with students and staff as well as other
commission staff. Additionally, Travis Bossard, co-writer of the Oskar and
Klaus books, gave a presentation on how the books came about and his role
in writing the books and producing the audio. The book series highlights
the adventures of Oskar, a blind cat, as well as those of his less-
adventurous, sighted brother cat, Klaus.

NEW JERSEY
Perth Amboy
      Each morning at the NFB BELL Academy in New Jersey, the students held
meetings where each student reported something s/he did independently at
home the night before and shared a future goal concerning what they wanted
to do to become more independent. The Academy also hired a company called
Bricks 4 Kidz to provide three sessions of LEGO. STEM (science, technology,
engineering, and math) activities where the children learned about and
built a windmill, a paper crinkler, and a tornado. This was the first time
the representative worked with blind children, but she was very
enthusiastic about helping and interacting with our students. New Jersey
NFB BELL Academy students also paired up with typically-developing
preschoolers from the Puerto Rican Association for Human Development
(PRAHD) summer program to mentor those students in beginning blindness
skills lessons. Our students introduced their mentees to the Braillewriter
and to Braille itself. Each sighted child received a card with his/her name
written in Braille to take home.

NEW YORK
New York City
      The Big Apple welcomed NFB BELL Academy students with many rich
learning opportunities, both in the classroom and on the town. Students
visited the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library to learn about
talking books, Arduino (a mini-computer: an open-source electronics
platform based on easy-to-use hardware and software), and tactile maps.
Students also had the opportunity to explore the New York Hall of Science.

Baldwinsville (Syracuse area)
      Baldwinsville NFB BELL Academy students traveled to a movie theater
to watch Pete's Dragon and learn how to use descriptive video technology.
On another day, students visited Green Lake State Park and used their cane
travel skills to engage in a fun hike. On this trip, students also learned
about the features of the lake which cause it to be naturally green, and
they enjoyed swimming and ice cream.

NORTH CAROLINA
Lincolnton
      Seven NFB BELL Academy students in Lincolnton, North Carolina grew in
their Braille, cane travel, and nonvisual skills throughout the two-week
program. They put their new skills into practice on a visit to the Catawba
Science Center and on a field trip to a local bowling alley.

Raleigh
      Students at the Raleigh NFB BELL Academy formed strong bonds with one
another and with their blind mentors during the program, which was held on
the campus of the Governor Morehead School for the Blind.
      On one field trip, the students employed their cane travel skills to
cross streets on their way to and from Pullen Park, the first public park
in the state of North Carolina. On another day, Raleigh NFB BELL Academy
students visited the North Carolina Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped, where they explored the Braille and audio books which provide
access to books for blind individuals throughout the state.

OHIO
Columbus
      The NFB BELL Academy of Ohio hosted its first residential academy
this summer. Students and mentors enjoyed new activities and learned many
daily living skills. Students gained the skills necessary to become
responsible including self-care activities, especially those needed at
bedtime and mornings. In some ways the Ohio NFB BELL Academy became a mini-
NFB training center. Students also enjoyed recreational activities such as
a music night, swimming, and goal ball, and field trips, including a walk
to an ice cream store, a tour of the American Whistle Corporation factory,
and a trip to McDonalds for lunch one day.

OKLAHOMA
Oklahoma City
      The Sooner State welcomed back NFB BELL Academy students with great
instruction and learning opportunities. Kimberly Berry from ABLE Tech spent
a day at the Oklahoma NFB BELL Academy and gave one-on-one demonstrations
of several devices including refreshable Braille displays, iPads,
accessible money readers, accessible personal digital assistants (also
called notetakers), and a talking Perkins Braillewriter. The statewide
Assistive Technology (AT) Act Program provides outreach, information, and
assistance services, and training on various AT topics, as well as
collaborates with state and local agencies and organizations to enhance the
understanding and access to AT.
      On a field trip to Andy Alligator's Fun Park, students played games,
rode rides such as bumper cars, go karts, etc. They also enjoyed a pizza
party with blind peers and adult mentors at the fun park. On another field
trip, students visited the Oklahoma Library for the Blind where they toured
the library, learned about services, explored the recording studio, and had
a cookout with library staff.

OREGON
Portland
      NFB BELL Academy students in Oregon had a fun and rewarding time,
working with great blind mentors and learning Braille and positive
attitudes about blindness. Students also visited the Oregon Museum of
Science and Industry, where they explored the exhibits with the confidence
and independence they learned at the Oregon NFB BELL Academy.

PENNSYLVANIA
Philadelphia
      At the veteran Philadelphia NFB BELL Academy, both returning and new
NFB BELL Academy students grew in skills and confidence with regard to
their Braille reading and writing, cane travel, and other nonvisual skills.
Philadelphia NFB BELL Academy students visited a museum and a park with a
playground. They also enjoyed a program provided by the Settlement Music
School.

Pittsburgh
[PHOTO CAPTION: Adison, Jazmin, Meridian, and Miss Michelle cross the
street in their learning shades.]
      The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, which includes the Library for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped at its Baum Boulevard branch, served
as host to the first year NFB BELL Academy in Pittsburgh. In addition to
intensive Braille and cane travel instruction, students took field trips to
a local science center and had an ice cream social/pool party.

RHODE ISLAND
Providence
      Students at the NFB BELL Academy in Providence engaged in nonstop
learning fun. The program kicked off with piqatas, cupcakes, Braille yoga,
and more. Later, students put their skills to work in a fun cane scavenger
hunt. Students donned their learning shades and used their canes to locate
objects in their path. One student managed to find twenty-one items,
including chairs, books, big and small boxes, playdough, and even an
orange.
      How do you make writing fun? At the Providence NFB BELL Academy you
get the students to write rhyming poems. One student who did not know any
Braille before attending the Providence NFB BELL Academy proudly shared his
Brailled poems with his peers and mentors.   Students also wore their
learning shades and used their long white canes while playing sardines,
practicing pouring, coloring, and walking to the playground in the rain. On
a field trip to the Edna Lawrence Nature Lab at the Rhode Island School of
Design, students took the opportunity to feel sea shells, pine cones,
bones, mushrooms, seeds, and even a live snake.
      Given that it is a presidential election year, it is quite
appropriate that the Rhode Island Secretary of State's office allowed NFB
BELL Academy students to check out the accessible voting machine that
allows blind people to vote privately and independently. Students voted for
their favorite ice cream flavor (had to write in "coffee") and learned a
great deal about the voting process thanks to our friend Rob in the office
of the secretary of state.

SOUTH CAROLINA
Columbia
[PHOTO CAPTION: Taylin uses a Braille Sense at the BELL Academy in
Columbia, South Carolina.]
      The veteran South Carolina NFB BELL Academy provided two weeks of
individualized learning experiences for students. Cane travel was
emphasized through the theme, "Anywhere and Everywhere." Students gained an
increasing awareness of travel, white cane travel, car travel, and bus,
train, and plane travel on the local, regional, and national levels.
Mentors set up chairs and took students on imaginary train and airplane
trips. Students received an introduction to tactile maps and used cardinal
directions in the classroom. Additionally, South Carolina Artist-in-
Residence Kimberly Roberts provided students individual steel drum
instruction as well as a performance.

TENNESSEE
Memphis
      Students at the Memphis NFB BELL Academy learned Braille, how to use
their canes for independent travel, and explored nonvisual skills such as
identifying different objects, money, etc. They also enjoyed recreational
activities such as kickball and Frisbee, each with accessible, beeping
sports equipment. Members from the Memphis Symphony Orchestra demonstrated
telling a story through music. Their story focused upon a young man
exploring the galaxy. Through the music, Memphis NFB BELL Academy students
explored Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. The
music detailed both the exciting adventures and scary moments of his
journey. A community field trip involved eating lunch at McAlister's Deli
and taking in an audio-described version of the movie Finding Dory at the
Paradiso Theater.

Murfreesboro
      The National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee hosted its first
residential NFB BELL Academy on the campus of Middle Tennessee State
University in Murfreesboro. Students engaged in classroom and daily living
skill development throughout the program. Students experienced a scavenger
hunt in the local grocery store. Each group of students received a shopping
list of three items that they had to identify and bring to the teacher. In
this activity, students utilized their Braille skills to read the list of
items, their cane travel skills, and their tactile and nonvisual skills to
identify items. We also partnered with our local symphony to provide a
lesson on how music can convey a story.

TEXAS
Houston
[PHOTO CAPTION: Liz Wisecarver helps Brendan learn cane travel at the
Houston BELL Academy.]
      Houston NFB BELL Academy students enjoyed varied Braille, cane
travel, and nonvisual skill learning experiences. Houston students also
visited a local fire station and explored the equipment while learning
about the practices and protocols used by their local fire departments.

Laredo
      Students at the Laredo NFB BELL Academy were on the move. On the
field trip to the Lamar Bruni Vergara Planetarium in Laredo, students
learned about the relative size and scale of our solar system using grains
of sand. On another trip, students hopped 'til they dropped at a local
trampoline park.

San Antonio
[PHOTO CAPTION: EmmaGrace and her blind mentor Raul take the stairs.]
      NFB BELL Academy students in San Antonio augmented their learning
with accessible games, such as "For Sale," which was provided by accessible
game maker 64 Oz. Games. 64 Oz. Games founder Richard Gibbs noted, "They
did much better than some adults on their first play." Students also
attended a beep baseball demonstration.

UTAH
Taylorsville (Salt Lake City area)
[PHOTO CAPTION: Grant and Lexi play indoor field hockey wearing learning
shades.]
      Utah NFB BELL Academy students augmented their Braille, cane travel,
and nonvisual skills with innovative, accessible recreational activities.
Indoor field hockey took place with hockey sticks made from long pool
noodles and a sound-making beach ball. Students had a lot of fun and really
had to learn to listen for the ball. Students also participated in two
field trips including a visit to a park and a hands-on experience at the
Leonardo Museum in Salt Lake City.
      On graduation day the students decided to plan and present a talent
show for their parents. Performances included dancing, singing, and a magic
show. This program was completely planned and organized by the students,
and everyone had a great time.
----------

Teaching to Read in Two Weeks at BELL Academy

by Sheena Manuel

>From the Editor: Sheena Manuel is the outreach specialist at the
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness. She is a
teacher of blind students, a certified national orientation and mobility
instructor (NOMC), and holds a National Certification in Unified English
Braille (NCUEB). She serves students in the public school setting in the
north central area of Louisiana. She spends most summers going to different
states to serve as a teacher for the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning Academy.

      My love for teaching at BELL Academy stems from Louisiana Tech's
Teaching Blind Students program. Participating at the BELL Academy was
required and expected from my professor. She understood the value of seeing
good blind role models, building relationships with fellow colleagues, and
getting hands-on experience before we entered the profession.
      I'm always looking for adventure and different places to go whether
for work or pleasure. I decided that every year I would look for another
place to visit while doing what I love, teaching kids. This year Pittsburg
was the place to be for BELL Academy. As I began meeting families, I
learned that most of these kids did not have teachers waiting for them once
they returned to the school setting. This motivated me to provide as much
meaningful instruction as possible for the next two weeks.
      Kids are brutally honest. One student revealed she only knew one
letter, a, and she received five minutes of Braille instruction throughout
her last year at school. Appalling! I explained to her that we would give
her a crash course in Braille, and I would give her as much as she could
handle. This kid was highly motivated and ready to digest Braille. We
started with the alphabet. I gave her between five and eight letters a day,
teaching letters and whole words. She practiced writing them with my co-
teacher every day. I presented the letters similar to the Mangold program,
having her reading lines of letters then reading lines of words. And guess
what: at BELL Academy you go home with homework. Every night this kid was
excited to share with her family what she learned. As her love for reading
Braille grew so did her interest in reading other words. Then I started
introducing about three to four contractions and other words commonly found
in early readers. The day I decided to introduce a story, she exclaimed
that she had been waiting to read a story like the other kids. The look on
her face will stay with me forever and continue to remind me of why I do
what I do. I want kids to know that with motivation, high expectations, and
proper training their dreams can come true.
      As a kid I remember picking up a book my mother read to me every
night, Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel and thinking "I can't wait until I can
read this." As a kid in grade school I remember waving my hand and
squirming in my seat so I could read a passage aloud to my class. During
the summer I enjoyed walking in the library and getting as many books as I
could carry to read. As an adult I am excited when I can read a story aloud
to my students (in print or Braille). Hopefully my love for reading will
live on with this kid and every other kid I meet.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Salome Cummins disembarks the city bus]

Visually Impaired Kids from St. Louis-Area Braille Camp

Learn Life Skills with MetroLink Trip

by Ashley Lisenby

>From the Editor: This article first appeared in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
on July 27, 2016, and is reprinted here with their kind permission. We at
the Monitor can't help but wholeheartedly agree with the single comment on
the online version of the article at
<http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/visually-impaired-kids-from-st-
louis-area-braille-camp-learn/article_dade1199-6de3-5a80-a35e-
74518e3317ba.html>, "Yay for children learning life skills!"

      Tap. Tap. Tap.
      A small group of blind and visually impaired children tap their canes
on the yellow truncated platform at the Brentwood MetroLink stop as they
enter a train. For many of the six children, participants in a two-week
Braille literacy camp, boarding this train is their first time riding
public transportation.
      The camp, called the Missouri BELL Academy, operates out of the Delta
Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments and runs through Friday.
Now in its third year, the camp accepts children from across the state ages
four to twelve with varied reading and writing skills and different levels
of vision impairment. It is one of many BELL programs run by the National
Federation of the Blind across the country.
      Camp leader Debbie Wunder and volunteer Braille teacher Adnan Gutic
said the camp is important for teaching children the fundamentals of
reading and writing but also for teaching life skills and providing adult
mentors who may also be blind.
      Before leaving the center in Richmond Heights, the children are
prepped on how to distinguish a $1 bill from a $5 bill. Some may choose to
fold one bill like a "hot dog" and the other like a "hamburger." Others may
opt to place different denominations of bills in separate compartments of
their wallets.
      On their last field trip the children, called bell-ringers at the
camp, went to The Magic House. This time they already know their final
destination-McDonald's. First they have to navigate the train and bus.
      Once on the train platform, a group of adults, many of whom also have
varying levels of vision impairment, share safety tips with the children.
For example, stand behind the bumpy strip and near a group of short poles-
shoulder height to the young riders-in order to know where the train doors
will open.
      After riding the train and catching a bus, the group arrives at the
golden arches.
      "I smell Mickey D's," one child says upon exiting the bus.
      The journey is enjoyable for most of the children, and they
understand the importance of the field trip.
      "If you live in the big city, you have to know how to ride public
transportation so you know how to be safe while doing it," said Nathan
Deeds, ten, a second-year bell-ringer.
      But some temporarily struggle with the sounds and sensations that
come with riding public transit, such as the screeching of the train and
the jerking motion of the bus.
      Shianne Ramsey, six, of Jefferson City, admitted while taking bites
of her meal that she was scared on the bus because of the abrupt motions,
but later proudly proclaimed how she exhibits her independence in other
ways. "I can buckle myself," she said with a smile, adding that she felt
great when she accomplished tasks on her own.
      For camp leaders and volunteers, that's the goal: self-sufficiency.
      Wunder even questioned a McDonald's cashier who said an employee
would bring the group their food.
      "Is that what you do for everyone?" she asked, later turning to
encourage one child, saying, "You gotta do it for yourself, buddy. You can
do it."
      Holly Carneal, twenty-two, a student studying social work at
University of Central Missouri and a camp volunteer who was born blind,
wants camp participants to know they can do what most people with sight can
do.
      "It's nice to be independent and not rely on other people," Carneal
said. "It gives you a sense of confidence by using a bus or the MetroLink.
It's important for them, when they're young, to know they can do whatever
they want in life."
----------

Celebrate the National Federation of the Blind

by Patti Chang

>From the Editor: Patti is the newly-appointed director of outreach for the
National Federation of the Blind. She is the immediate past president of
our Illinois affiliate, a former member of the national board of directors,
and currently serves as the treasurer of the NFB of Illinois. Here is what
she says about providing crucially-needed funds that make our programs
possible:

      The holiday season is coming upon us. It is a time to celebrate, and
we ought to reflect on how the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) has
affected blind people's lives. In thinking about the gifts the NFB gives,
these stories movingly explain how we make better the lives of those we
touch:
      The National Federation of the Blind provided Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning Academies (BELL) in most states during the summer of
2016. These BELL Academies change lives as you can see from this "BELL
Ringer."
      A rising seventh grader attended NFB BELL Academy for the first time
this summer. She had a Braille teacher in first and second grades. However,
her school thought she could see too well to continue with Braille, so they
terminated her instruction in Braille. Five years later this bright young
lady has been struggling more and more every year in school. The volume of
work has grown, print size has shrunk, and her persistent headaches have
halted any recreational reading and limited her ability to complete regular
schoolwork.
      This young lady's parents knew that something needed to change. Her
mother signed her up for NFB BELL Academy and drove four hours each day for
two weeks to provide her daughter the opportunity to learn the skills she
needs. At the end of each day, NFB BELL Academy students share their
accomplishments of the day, which we call "BELL Ringers." On her second day
this young lady, who had not been exposed to any Braille for the past five
years, reflected on the impact of NFB BELL Academy: "I came in yesterday
knowing "a," and I'm leaving today knowing "a" through "t."

One of the most important aspects of the Federation is mentorship. Another
parent wrote when evaluating the BELL Academy:
      My daughter, age seven, attended her first BELL Academy this summer.
The word which most accurately describes her experience is enthusiastic.
She not only gained more Braille skills and better O&M [orientation and
mobility] skills; she also became enthusiastic about reading Braille and
using her cane. For the first time she wasn't the only blind child or the
only blind person in the room. She became enthusiastic about learning more
Braille and desired to do so because others were reading Braille also. Her
cane skills had been lacking because she hadn't been interested in
following proper technique and learning to use auditory cues around her. At
the NFB BELL Academy she received a new cane, she was able to make a name
tag to put on it, and she became enthusiastic about using this wonderful
tool. She knew that others in the room also had canes, and she wanted to be
as good as them.

Ron Brown shared his feelings about the National Federation of the Blind:
      I lost my vision when I was seventeen years old in a gunshot
accident. I was coming home from a basketball game. I had 20/20 vision.
After that happened to me I thought life was over as I knew it because I
didn't know anything about blindness or blind people.
      My name is Ron Brown, and I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana. I tell
people I lost my vision at 17, and I found the Federation at 18-and how
fortunate for me. Dr. Maurer at the time was our state president, and he is
now the immediate past president of the National Federation of the Blind.
He was instrumental in changing my life for the better. I met him while I
was on the campus of Ball State University.
      I felt that my blindness was a negative thing in my life. Every time
people would see me with my cane they would react differently, and I
noticed that. So a couple of other students and I got together, and we
said, you know we're going to stop using our canes. And we're going to do
this click-and-shuffle method of getting around. That's clicking your
tongue to bounce sound off of walls, and it's sliding your feet in order to
stay in contact with the ground.
      Now, I'm thinking everybody on campus knew I was blind except me,
because I didn't want to accept it. I wanted to pass. I wanted people to
look at me the same way they had looked at me before. I was a tall guy who
played sports and different kinds of things. I did not want to be seen in a
hopeless, helpless way.
      I did this for quite some time until one day I was going through the
Cooper Science Building, and here I am clicking and shuffling down the hall
sliding my feet. I am thinking that this hall is pretty empty so I'm going
at a pretty good click, but what I did not know was that down the hall,
about a hundred yards down the hall, were students on both sides of the
hallway, and they had their legs stretched out. They were reading, and I
didn't know it. They weren't making any noise. So I'm clicking my tongue,
shuffling my feet, sliding on down the hallway until I got to that first
person on the right side. I stepped on his legs and he screamed, and I
jumped to the other side of the hallway, and I kicked this girl's book out
of her hand, and her books went flying and she screamed, and on and on
through the gauntlet of bodies I'm kicking books. In my wake I'm leaving
homework and all kinds of stuff!
      I'm saying 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry,' and I'm jumping from one side of
the hall to the other.
      So then I turn around and make more apologies. I hear a patter of
these feet come running behind me, and I'm thinking Uh-oh, I'm in trouble
now! This guy came and put his hand on my shoulder, and he said 'Hey guy,
I've been there. That's some good stuff you're on.' And I'm thinking No,
no, no, I'm not high; I'm just blind!
      You see then I wanted to be blind. I didn't want to pass then. I'm
thinking, you know, after it was all said and done-I need my cane. I better
use my cane. Had they seen me with a cane they would have looked up and
noticed a blind person coming, and they would have adjusted, but I didn't
have any idea. So the cane was not only just a mobility tool, but it was an
informational tool as well. It let them know that I was blind-and it also
let me know the same.
      From then on I carried my cane. I saw Dr. Maurer and Mrs. Maurer on
the campus getting around gracefully with their canes, and I'm thinking
That's the way I want to be. That's the mindset I want to have. I started
listening and learning about the philosophy of the National Federation of
the Blind. I felt like it was a good path to walk. Sometimes you want to
take the path of least resistance; you don't want to acknowledge blindness,
and you want to try to hide it. But the Federation taught me that it's
respectable to be blind-that just because you lose your sight doesn't mean
you lose your ability to live the life you want. Not only did it teach me
those valuable life lessons, but it also taught me that I could go to
school and become someone that I wanted to become. I wanted to go into
business. I've been in business now for thirty years. I've been living the
American dream basically: living the life I want-not because I'm blind but
in spite of it.

The NFB distributes free long white canes. One recipient recently sent a
thank-you note:
      It is great to know there are still people in this world that care
about other people besides themselves. Your gift of a white cane could not
have come at a better time for me! My wonderful wife of 43 years, who has
Alzheimer's, has moved to an assisted living facility. The only place I
could find a cane was at the Lighthouse for the Blind in San Antonio,
Texas. It's a 14-hour round trip for me, and I can't drive anymore. What
you have done for me I will remember for the rest of my life.

      Those testimonials and many more show why and how the National
Federation of the Blind helps blind people live the lives we want. But we
need your contribution to continue making a difference and changing lives.
      With a $50 donation, the National Federation of the Blind can send a
long white cane-free of charge-to a blind recipient and give back mobility.
With the same amount the Federation can provide early literacy materials to
families including a book with both Braille and print which empower parents
to help their blind child get an early start to Braille literacy. With a
larger donation we can train our Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning Academy teachers, show blind youngsters that they can do science
too, and so much more. Be a part of these gifts and everything the
Federation does with love, hope, and determination.
      We can't change lives without you. Please help by making an end-of-
year gift-and it's easy to do. You can mail a donation or give online. To
mail your donation, simply make out your check to the National Federation
of the Blind, and send it to Attention: Outreach, 200 East Wells Street at
Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230.
      To give online visit our web page, <https://nfb.org/donate2016>. We
all know that the Federation positively affects blind people's lives every
day. Please be a part of our movement with an end-of-year donation. It will
be sincerely appreciated.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Parnell Diggs]

Social Security, SSI, and Medicare Facts for 2017

by Parnell Diggs

>From the Editor: Every December we publish the Social Security figures that
have been announced for the coming year. Our director of government affairs
is charged with writing this annual update, and hats off to Parnell Diggs
for never once complaining or needing to be reminded that the Braille
Monitor needs this annual contribution. What follows is not easy reading,
but it may be of significant importance for those who qualify for some
assistance from the Social Security Administration. Here is what Parnell
says:

      About this time each year, we provide you with details regarding
annual adjustments in the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI),
Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Medicare programs. In 2017
approximately 65 million Americans will see just a slight cost-of-living
(COLA) increase (0.3 percent) in their benefit amounts. Thus, come January,
monthly checks will be a few dollars higher.
      The 2017 amounts appear below along with some concepts which are
always good to know about the Social Security and Medicare programs if you
want to understand your rights. The COLA adjustment (if any) is based upon
the consumer price index (CPI-W), which measures the inflationary rate
against the wages earned by the approximately 173 million workers across
the nation over the previous four quarters starting with the third quarter
of the previous year. Okay, here are the numbers.

Tax Rates

      FICA and Self-Employment Tax Rates: If you have a job, you know that
you do not bring home everything you earn. 7.65 percent of your pay, for
example, is deducted to cover your contribution to the Old Age, Survivors,
and Disability Insurance (OASDI) Trust Fund and the Medicare Hospital
Insurance (HI) Trust Fund. Specifically, 6.20 percent covers OASDI, and
1.45 percent is contributed to the HI Trust Fund. Additionally, your
employer is required to match this 7.65 percent for a total of 15.30
percent.
      For those who are self-employed, there is no "employer" to match the
7.65 percent. Thus, a self-employed individual pays the entire 15.30
percent of her income. These numbers will not change in 2017 whether an
individual is employed or self-employed. As of January 2013, individuals
with earned income of more than $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples
filing jointly) pay an additional 0.9 percent in Medicare taxes not
including the above amounts.

Maximum Taxable Earnings

      For the OASDI Trust Fund, there is a ceiling on taxable earnings,
which was $118,500 per year in 2016 and will jump to $127,200 in 2017.
Thus, for earnings above $127,200, there is no 6.20 percent deducted for
OASDI. As for Medicare, there is no limit on taxable earnings for the HI
Trust Fund.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Quarters of Coverage
      I always like to compare the OASDI Trust Fund to an insurance policy.
You have to pay a premium to participate. Therefore, to qualify for
Retirement, Survivors, or Disability Insurance benefits, an individual must
pay a minimum amount of FICA taxes into the OASDI Trust Fund by earning a
sufficient number of calendar quarters to become fully insured for Social
Security benefits.
      In 2016 credit for one quarter of coverage was awarded for any
individual who earned at least $1,260 during the year, which means that an
individual would have needed to earn at least $5,040 to be credited with
four quarters of coverage. In 2017 the amount increases to $1,300 for one
calendar quarter or $5,200 to earn four quarters of coverage for the year.
      A maximum of four quarters can be awarded for any calendar year, and
it makes no difference when the income is earned during that year.
Basically, the taxes you pay into the OASDI and HI Trust Funds are your
premiums to participate in the Social Security and Medicare programs.
      The total number of quarters required to be eligible for benefits
depends on the individual's age. The older the individual, the more
quarters are required. Furthermore, a higher average income during an
individual's lifetime means a higher Social Security or SSDI check when
benefits start. Remember the above quoted numbers for quarters of coverage
to become fully insured are only minimum amounts.

Trial Work Period (TWP)

      This concept is often misunderstood. The amount of earnings required
to use a trial work month is based not upon the earnings limit for blind
beneficiaries, but rather upon the national average wage index. In 2016 the
amount required to use a TWP month was only $810, and this amount will
increase to $840 in 2017.
      If you are self-employed, you can also use a trial work month if you
work more than eighty hours in your business, and this limitation will not
change unless expressly adjusted.

Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA)

      The earnings limit for a blind beneficiary in 2016 was $1,820 per
month and will rise to $1,950 in 2017. Remember this is not the TWP amount.
This is to say that the TWP can be exhausted even if your income is well
below $1,950 per month. See the above information about the TWP.
      In 2017 a blind SSDI beneficiary who earns $1,951 or more in a month
(before taxes but after subtracting unincurred business expenses for the
self-employed, subsidized income for the employed, and impairment-related
work expenses) will be deemed to have exceeded SGA and will likely no
longer be eligible for benefits.

Social Security Benefit Amounts

      In January of 2017, the average amount of SSDI benefits for a
disabled worker is estimated to rise by about $4 to $1,171. Pursuant to the
Social Security Act, a cost-of-living adjustment occurs automatically when
there is an increase in inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index
for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). The CPI-W indicated an
inflationary rate of 0.3 percent between the third quarter of 2015 and the
third quarter of 2016. Thus, there is a corresponding COLA increase in 2017
and a minimal increase in monthly benefit amounts.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

      The federal payment amount for individuals receiving SSI in 2016 was
$733 per month and will increase to $735 in 2017, and the federal monthly
payment amount of SSI received by couples will rise from $1,100 to $1,103.

Student Earned Income Exclusion

      In 2016 the monthly amount was $1,780 and will increase to $1,790 in
2017. The annual amount was $7,180 and will be $7,200 in 2017. The asset
limits under the SSI program will remain unchanged at $2,000 per individual
and $3,000 per couple.

ABLE Act

      Signed on December 19, 2014, the ABLE Act will have a significant
impact on resource limits associated with the SSI and Medicaid programs for
those who were blind or disabled by the age of twenty-six. Traditionally,
SSI beneficiaries have been required to adhere to strict resource limits:
such as a maximum of $2,000 in the bank for an individual receiving SSI
benefits. Under the ABLE Act, however, the amount on deposit in an ABLE
Account can be much higher.
      ABLE Account contributions must be designated specifically for
purposes such as education, housing (with a cautionary warning to follow),
employment training and support, assistive technology, health, prevention
and wellness, financial management, legal fees, and funeral and burial
expenses. The required implementing regulations are being enacted in most
states. Check with your financial institution of choice for a status of
ABLE Act regulations in a specific state.
      As to the warning about ABLE Account contributions for housing, it is
important to note that SSI beneficiaries may still face the traditional
$2,000 resource limit for ABLE Account funds designated for housing. Thus,
SSI beneficiaries should consider the many other purposes not subject to
the traditional resource limits when making ABLE Account contributions.
Because there are also tax advantages associated with ABLE accounts, both
SSDI and SSI beneficiaries should consult a financial advisor about
establishing an ABLE Account.

Medicare

      At this writing, the Department of Health and Human Services has not
released updated information regarding deductibles, coinsurance amounts,
and premiums for 2017. Updated Medicare information will be provided in an
upcoming issue of the Braille Monitor. But for illustrative purposes, we
will here provide you with details regarding the numbers from 2015 compared
to 2016.
      Medicare Deductibles and Coinsurance: Medicare Part A coverage
provides hospital insurance to most Social Security beneficiaries. The
coinsurance amount is the hospital charge to a Medicare beneficiary for any
hospital stay. Medicare then pays the hospital charges above the
beneficiary's coinsurance amount.
      The Part A hospital inpatient deductible was $1,260 in 2015 and
increased to $1,288 in 2016. The coinsurance charged for hospital services
within a benefit period of no longer than sixty days was $0 in 2016. From
the sixty-first day through the ninetieth day, the daily coinsurance amount
was $315 per day in 2015 and rose slightly to $322 in 2016. Each Medicare
beneficiary has sixty lifetime reserve days that may be used after a ninety-
day benefit period has ended. Once used, these reserve days are no longer
available after any benefit period. The coinsurance amount paid during each
reserve day used in 2015 was $630 and in 2016 was $644.
      Part A of Medicare pays all covered charges for services in a skilled
nursing facility for the first twenty days following a three-day in-
hospital stay within a benefit period. From the twenty-first day through
the one hundredth day in a benefit period, the Part A daily coinsurance
amount for services received in a skilled nursing facility was $157.50 for
2015 and rose just slightly to $161 in 2016.
      Most Social Security beneficiaries have no monthly premium charge for
Medicare Part A coverage. Those who become ineligible for SSDI can continue
to receive Medicare Part A coverage premium-free for at least ninety-three
months after the end of a trial work period. After that time the individual
may purchase Part A coverage. The premium rate for this coverage during
2015 was $407 monthly and increased to $411 in 2016.
      The annual deductible amount for Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)
in 2015 was $147 and rose to $166 in 2016. The Medicare Part B monthly
premium rate for 2015 was $104.90 per month and rose to $121.80 in 2016.
For those receiving Social Security benefits, this premium payment is
deducted from your monthly benefit check. Individuals who remain eligible
for Medicare but are not receiving Social Security benefits due to work
activity must directly pay the Part B premium quarterly-one payment every
three months. Like the Part A premiums mentioned above, Part B is also
available for at least ninety-three months following the trial work period,
assuming an individual wishes to have it and, when not receiving SSDI,
continues to make quarterly premium payments.
      Programs That Help with Medicare Deductibles and Premiums: Low-income
Medicare beneficiaries may qualify for assistance through four Medicare
Savings Programs. We will discuss three of them here and leave the fourth
one alone because (to qualify for it each year) you must already be on it,
and you know who you are. Note: the below amounts may change in 2017. We
begin with the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary program (QMB) and the
Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary program (SLMB). To qualify for
the QMB program in 2016, an individual's monthly income could not exceed
$1,010, and a married couple's monthly income could not exceed $1,355. To
qualify for the SLMB program in 2016, an individual's monthly income could
not exceed $1,208, and a married couple's monthly income could not exceed
$1,622.
      Under the QMB program, states are required to pay the Medicare Part A
(Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance) premiums, deductibles,
and coinsurance expenses for Medicare beneficiaries who meet the program's
income and resource requirements. Under the SLMB program, states pay only
the full Medicare Part B monthly premium. Eligibility for the SLMB program
may be retroactive for up to three calendar months.
      Both the QMB and SLMB programs are administered by the Centers for
Medicare and Medicaid Services in conjunction with the states. The rules
vary from state to state, but the following can be said: As of 2016,
resources (such as bank accounts or stocks) could not exceed $7,280 for one
person or $10,930 per couple. The third program, known as the Qualified
Disabled and Working Individuals (QDWI) Program, pays Part A premiums only
and has resource limits of $4,000 for one person and $6,000 for a married
couple. As to these programs, resources are generally things you own.
However, not everything is counted. Examples of things that don't count
include the house you live in, one car, a burial plot (or $1,500 put aside
for burial expenses), and furniture.
      If you qualify for assistance under the QMB program, you will not
have to pay the following: Medicare's hospital deductible amount, the daily
coinsurance charges for extended hospital and skilled nursing facility
stays; the Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) premium, the annual Part B
deductible; and the coinsurance for services covered by Medicare Part B,
depending on which doctor you go to (these services include doctor
services, outpatient therapy, and durable medical equipment).
      If you qualify for assistance under the SLMB program, you will be
responsible for the payment of all of the items listed above except for the
monthly Part B premium, depending on your circumstances.
      If you think you qualify but you have not filed for Medicare Part A,
contact Social Security to find out if you need to file an application.
Further information about filing for Medicare is available from your local
Social Security office or Social Security's toll-free number (800) 772-
1213.
      Remember that only your state can decide if you are eligible for help
from the QMB or SLMB program and also that the income and resource levels
listed here are general guidelines, with some states choosing greater
amounts. Therefore, if you are elderly or disabled, have low income and
very limited assets, and are a Medicare beneficiary, contact your state or
local Medicaid office (referred to in some states as the Public Aid Office
or the Public Assistance Office) to apply. For more information about
either program, call the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
on its toll-free number (800) 633-4227, or visit <Medicare.gov>.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Danielle Trevino]

La Otra (The Other): Thoughts on My Culture and My Disability

by Danielle Trevino

>From the Editor: Danielle has until recently been a staff member for the
National Federation of the Blind as the director of our social media
efforts. She has recently moved to Texas to be with family, and though it
goes without saying for those who know her, she remains an active member
and leader in the National Federation of the Blind. Danielle uses the term
"Latinx" to describe herself. This is a newer term, a nongendered
alternative to Latina or Latino that has gained popularity as a way to
include transgendered or other nontraditionally-gendered members of the
community. Here is what she has to say:

      Today is the twenty-sixth anniversary of the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA). I am sitting in a very nice hotel room in Orlando,
having just spent the last four days attending the National Council of La
Raza [the Race] (NCLR) conference. The NCLR is an organization that
advocates for the rights of Latinx people. Similar to the mission of the
National Federation of the Blind, La Raza strives to empower the Latin
community to raise our voices and demand to be treated as equals. On the
one hand, I am proud. Proud of being a woman, of being Latinx, and of being
blind. I was born and raised in the United States, and I've benefited from
the ADA. Even before I had language to explain things like self-advocacy,
equality, opportunity, and security, I knew that I always had a leg to
stand on. I'm so proud of how far we've come as disabled people while
recognizing that the playing field is far from level. It does my heart good
to know that organizations such as the National Federation of the Blind
have not only fought for a seat at the table, but we've proven that we're
capable of setting it and cooking the food to be served on it.
      I was raised to be vocal about my rights and needs, but I have to say
that growing up I never met someone who looked like me. I met other blind
people, I met other Latinx women, but the three never intersected. So on
the other hand, my heart hurts. I thought that coming here would mean that
I would be able to forge relationships with like-minded people of my
culture who would be open to inviting the disabled to the table instead of
sitting us in a corner where they can watch us in case we need help. I
don't consider myself to be a shy person. I strike up conversations with
anyone around me. However, when I tried to do that with other conference
attendees (who were not part of my group), most of them responded with "Do
you need help?" "Are you lost?" One lady even grabbed my cane and tried
steering for me.
      I sat in sessions where the presenter said things like, "Read the
story on screen, and tell me what you think," and my favorite, "If you look
at the girl in the picture, you can tell she's not broken or different."
Uh, what? Ironically enough, this was said in a session about social media
and telling stories-two topics I may know a thing or two about. I'm
saddened by the fact that we as disabled people have so far to go to level
that playing field within American society, but in my experience this week,
we're not even in the ballpark within the Latinx community.
      So how do we fix it? How do we start the conversation? How do we shed
light on the fact that diabetes is now officially an epidemic within the
Latinx community? How do we make people understand that blindness is the
number-one side effect of diabetes? How do we make it so that little brown
blind girls and their families get connected with the resources they need
to get ahead and role models they can truly look up to? What steps need to
be taken so that at large conferences such as NCLR or in the day-to-day, we
are not othered because we're different? In the last year I've met some
amazing Latinas within the NFB: Conchita Hernandez, Roxanne Torres,
Lisamaria Martinez, and many more. All of these women are phenomenal
powerhouses, who are out there representing the strength and beauty of the
blind Latina. They, along with my incredible support system, inspire me to
keep showing up, to keep moving in this space to the beat of a good salsa
song. Our day is coming. We're hungry and more than ready to take our seats
at the table.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Matt Yeater]

Making a Way Where There is No Way:

Blind Seminary Student Leads Collaborative Process to Gain Access to
Biblical Languages

by Annette Brill Bergstresser

>From the Editor: This article is reprinted with the kind permission of
Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary. Readers probably recognize the name
Matt Yeater. He is a leader in the National Federation of the Blind of
Indiana, has been the winner of a national scholarship, and was honored
with a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award. What you may not know about him is that
Matt was once on a very different path, one he believes was changed by God
and furthered by his work in our organization. Here is Matt's story:

      Matt Yeater can relate to Bible stories in which God moves in
seemingly impossible ways. His own story is one of them. Blinded in a meth
lab explosion when he was twenty and imprisoned on multiple occasions, Matt
doesn't fit the stereotype of a seminary student. However, he not only
graduated May 21 with a Master of Divinity from Anabaptist Mennonite
Biblical Seminary in Elkhart, Indiana, but also was named a recipient of
the 2016 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award from the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB) for his work in making biblical languages accessible to blind people.
      "It's not anything I've done; it's God pushing me and telling me to
move forward, making a way where there is no way," reflects Matt, now
thirty-six and a member of Life Tabernacle Church in Elkhart. "He will lead
even in the places that don't make sense to anyone."

A Rocky Journey
      Matt recalls a childhood and young adulthood with a lot of moves,
most of them in the Midwest. "I was angry and couldn't stay out of
trouble," he says. "Between ages thirteen and eighteen, I was locked up
more time than I was free."
      The meth lab explosion sent him to the hospital, where he spent a
month on life support recovering from chemical burns. The explosion of
hydrous ammonia had burned the top half of his lungs; he says he still gets
winded easily today.
      After leaving the hospital, he "went back to the same old
environment," getting drugs wherever he could. "People would only give me
so much, so I ended up learning how to make meth blind," he recalls. "I did
it for a year and a half before they put me in prison. I got busted on
charges of possession and conspiracy to manufacture [illegal substances]."
Matt was sentenced to six years in an Illinois prison. There he went
through a drug rehab program and was put on work release, which he did
while staying with family in Illinois.
      "I became sought after as a motivational speaker for kids by law
enforcement," he says. "When they were losing funding for the DARE [Drug
Abuse Resistance Education] program, I'd go in and talk, and they'd get
funding again."
      After serving three years of his sentence, Matt was released at age
24. He got married to the woman he was with when the meth lab blew up, and
they moved to Elkhart-where his dad was-to try to start over. His wife got
a job at a gas station, and they had two children, a son and a daughter.
Matt had dreams of going to college to become a drug and alcohol counselor.

An Unexpected Setback
      Unfortunately, things got worse before they could get better. One day
in November 2005, Matt was watching his children while his wife was at
work. He set his infant daughter down in a recliner to go check on his son,
who was wearing a bell so he could keep track of where he was. When he
returned, he sat down on the recliner without thinking, accidentally
sitting on the lower part of one of his daughter's legs. Frightened, he
waited for his wife to come home, and they took her to the hospital, where
doctors determined she had a small fracture. Matt was arrested immediately,
and the children were taken into foster care.
      What followed was a complicated situation in which allegations of
battery of a minor dependent were brought against Matt; his daughter
allegedly had injuries that were inconsistent with his story of what had
happened. So Matt found himself in a jail cell again, facing a trial. For
the first and only time in his life, he contemplated suicide.
      "I said, 'Lord, I heard you won't put more on us than we can bear,
but this is too much for me.' I didn't see any other choice," he says. "I
remember the next day . . . I had fallen asleep on my bunk, saying, 'God,
you know what happened.' I heard a voice, a clear audible voice that said
to go get the medical records."
      He called his wife and told her what he'd heard. It took six months,
but she was able to get the records to prove that the only injury their
daughter had was the leg fracture.
      "That was a supernatural experience," Matt reflects. "No one was
coming to preach to me. God sovereignly moved in and blew the thing wide
open. And right after that, five preachers came to the jail-a few looking
specifically for me.
      "I started holding Bible studies in jail as a way of getting people
to read the Bible to me," he adds. "I started doing prayer circles."
      Although the battery charges were dropped, Matt still remained in
jail until January 2008 for neglect of a dependent for not having called an
ambulance right away. After he got out of jail, he went to church with the
people who had been ministering to him.
      "My relationship with God has always been a supernatural
relationship," he says. "God would show up and speak, and things would turn
around. All I had was the Bible. Our relationship developed through prayer
and trials in my life and the Word of God."
      Matt then went to Indiana Bible College in Indianapolis to pursue a
bachelor's degree in Bible with a minor in theology. He graduated in May
2013 with high honors and leadership awards.
      "While I was at IBC, God said, 'Prepare for a PhD,'" he says. He came
to visit AMBS. "I had no money to pay for anything," he says. His marriage
had ended, but he had regained custody of his children. "I knew I wanted to
have a place for my kids."
      "As I was walking up to AMBS on my second visit, the Holy Ghost just
fell on me, and I started speaking in tongues, and I got a phone call
saying everything would be paid for, even my housing," he remembers. "The
people I was with were asking what was going on, but I was experiencing
what the Lord does for me. God opens up doors along the way."

Setting a New Standard for Biblical Language Study
      When Matt became a student at AMBS in the fall of 2013, he faced
higher hurdles at seminary than most students, both in terms of
accessibility and academics. He had never studied languages before, and the
resources available for studying biblical languages in Braille were
limited.
      Paul Keim, professor of Bible and Religion at Goshen (Indiana)
College and a sessional instructor of Hebrew at AMBS, began tutoring him in
Greek two times a week, using Braille versions of the Greek grammar and New
Testament text. However, after more than two weeks, they realized that the
New Testament text they were working with was not ancient Greek, but modern
Greek. Back to square one.
      "I've been teaching language for a long time, but at every turn I
realized how most of the strategies and protocols for learning language are
for sighted people," Paul says. "The dictionary and encyclopedia articles
were full of symbols Matt couldn't read."
      Matt and Paul began to explore gaining access to scholarly articles
and commentaries in Braille. While they were able to connect with others
who had converted biblical language documents into Braille, they realized
there was no way for a blind person to successfully produce ancient
language material in print in a way that would make sense to sighted
scholars.
      "Our approach very early on was that we were going to try to
reproduce the text [in print] to contribute to the sighted community and to
scholarship as a whole," Matt says. "I wanted to create tools that would
help blind people compete with sighted people on terms of equality."
      That same semester, Matt called Duxbury Systems, Inc., a company
based in Westford, Massachusetts, that specializes in Braille translation
software, supporting up to 147 different languages. He explained to David
Holladay, a senior technical staff member, the challenges he was facing in
translating the Hebrew characters.
      Matt didn't know it, but David's father was Bill Holladay, a well-
known biblical scholar who translated the Hebrew Bible from German to
English. David talked to Bill about Matt's problem. The next time they
talked, he told Matt, "My dad's a theologian; I'm going to help you."
      Matt said David and his wife, Caryn Navy, also a senior technical
staff member at Duxbury, dove into the project, even working on their own
time at home to create a new biblical language software profile in Braille
that would help Matt and other blind scholars study the ancient languages.
      They began building in the Braille software the critical apparatus,
which gives scholars information about other manuscripts to find the best
reading of a passage. Matt and Loren Johns, professor of New Testament,
would write the code; David and Caryn would translate it into the software;
and Matt would work through the text and identify where revisions were
needed.
      "The critical apparatus gave me the opportunity to engage with the
biblical textual criticism," Matt says. "That had never been done by a
blind person." Matt adds that once they plugged Greek and Hebrew into the
new software, they realized they would also need to write code for Syriac,
a dialect of Aramaic in which many early Christian texts are written. He
and Paul created the consonants, and he worked on the vowels with a fellow
student, Ryan Harker, and Ray McAllister, who is blind and has a PhD in
Hebrew from Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan.
      "We didn't just want to assign the same vowels for all three scripts
[Hebrew, Greek and Syriac]," he says. "We had to create a systematic code
so that it would be the same for a blind person as a sighted person, who
could recognize the difference immediately."
      Matt notes that the project has taken three years and is still
ongoing. In addition to the critical apparatus, Duxbury's biblical language
software currently contains ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, ancient Greek, ancient
Syriac, Coptic, and Latin-all of which can be converted to Braille at the
touch of a button.
      According to Matt, the timing of the project is significant. The
Marrakesh Visually Impaired Persons Treaty, passed in June 2013 in
Marrakesh, Morocco, grants copyright exceptions so that accessible versions
of books and other copyrighted works can be created and shared across
borders. So the code Matt and his colleagues have created will set the
standard globally for access to biblical languages.
      "This is a big deal for the blind community," he says. "The biblical
language profile is now accessible to people all around the world in their
own language. There hasn't been anything like this since Nemeth Code [a
Braille code for encoding mathematical and scientific notation linearly]."
He recently also learned that HumanWare, a company that makes Braille
devices, is adding the software to two of its devices.
      "Matt always emphasized that he wanted the results of his work to be
accessible to other blind people, to show them that it's possible to study
languages, that tools are available, and that they wouldn't have to start
from scratch," Paul notes. "I don't know how many people out there want to
learn languages and have the capacity, but Matt was convinced that if they
could create the software, other people would use it." Paul adds that in
Matt's second year, Eileen Saner, then director of the AMBS library, saw a
notice on a librarians' discussion board; another seminary was planning to
admit a blind student who wanted to study languages. Matt, Paul, and Loren
arranged a conference call to share about their experiences.
      "That gave us encouragement that our resources could be made
available and that our experiences could be valuable to others-not just
blind people but sighted professors as well," Paul says. "We discussed
everything from biblical language protocols to use to how much time it
takes for a blind student to access the materials."
      Paul says that for him, working with Matt on this project transformed
his understanding of what accessibility means. "It's not just being able to
get to the second floor because somebody hoists you up; you can get up
there, but you've got to find somebody to hoist you," he says. "The point
is to get up there on your own, when you want to go. Physical accessibility
is a metaphor for all kinds of accessibility." He adds that getting course
textbooks in an electronic format that could be translated into Braille was
an ongoing need during Matt's studies. A lot of people at AMBS scanned
books for him. "It's a question of getting to the point where you don't
always have to depend on the largesse of the community," he says. "I think
that's what we've moved toward."
      Now Matt himself can transfer text from Logos Bible software to
Microsoft Word and export it into digital Braille with the help of the new
software. It takes him ten additional steps, but he can access the same
information as a sighted person. And what he writes in any of the biblical
languages can be exported into a form that makes sense to sighted scholars.

      This spring, thanks in part to those who chose to invest in this
project, he successfully defended his thesis, which is provisionally
titled, "Yeshua Yahwism: The highest Christology in apposition to mono-
Yahwism."

National Recognition
      This spring, Matt also applied for the NFB's Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award,
named for a pioneering blind physician, which recognizes "individuals and
organizations working in the field of blindness that have demonstrated
exemplary leadership and extraordinary accomplishments toward achieving the
full integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality." Matt is
also president of the NFB's Michiana chapter.
      In his application, Matt chose to name everyone at AMBS and Duxbury
who contributed to the work; he also included two other people who are
blind who participated in the project: Ray McAllister and Sarah Blake
LaRose, an adjunct instructor at the School of Theology of Anderson
(Indiana) University. "I felt I needed to honor the others' work; they're
the giants, and I'm standing on their shoulders," he says. He also
expresses gratitude to AMBS professors and staff for "not being
intimidated" by his needs and for their willingness to invest in learning
how to meet them.
      The NFB chose to give the $20,000 first-place award to Matt, Ray, and
Sarah. The award will be presented July 5 at the annual convention of the
National Federation of the Blind in Orlando, Florida.
      This summer, Matt is taking Aramaic and Syriac with Paul. He plans to
continue his post-graduate studies on Second Temple Judaism and the birth
of the church, perhaps at a university in Israel. He'd like to sharpen his
research skills and to become fluent in Hebrew and Arabic.
"I want a graduate program to say, 'This kid's going to be an investment'-
that's how I want to be viewed," he says. "I want the next blind person to
be evaluated on their skills and accomplishments and not their blindness.
      "That's where I'm at now, just waiting for the next step that God's
going to open up in my life," he concludes. "My only claim to fame is
Jesus's name. If I accomplish anything, it's because God is letting me and
making it happen."
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Amy Buresh]

Living the Life She Wants

by Amy Buresh

>From the Editor: Amy is the president of the National Federation of the
Blind of Nebraska, an employee of the agency serving blind people in her
state, and the mother of two children. She also serves as a member of the
national board of directors and at this summer's convention delivered one
of the best speeches I've ever heard about integrating all of these
responsibilities and still finding time for oneself. Here is what she said
to the convention:

      The house is still. For a few precious moments my world is quiet. My
two-year-old daughter Sarah is sleeping peacefully on my lap, and my
husband Shane and ten-year-old son Noah have long since given in to the
sandman's call. You would think that I, too, would be able to take
advantage of the tranquility and get some much needed rest. It is a busy
summer at my house. Noah is playing baseball, which means practice or a
game on most evenings. Sarah is an active, inquisitive, imaginative,
energetic toddler. Family is visiting from California. Youth programs like
WAGES (Work and Gain Experience in the Summer) and several others are in
full swing at the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired,
where I am employed as a vocational rehabilitation counselor. The Nebraska
affiliate has just completed its annual Walk for Independence, and week one
of our BELL Academy is in the books. I have a convention speech to write.
What could I possibly say that would make a difference, challenge and
inspire? My mind is working overtime. Words from the book I had just read
Sarah before she drifted off to dreamland still running through my head.
"... someday you'll know..." In The Dream Tree by Steven Cosgrove, Patti is
a little fuzzy, energetic caterpillar who is curious to know what it will
feel like when she becomes a beautiful butterfly as she spins her cocoon on
the branches of the Dream Tree. She asks her mom. She asks a fluttering
butterfly. But it's all to no avail. No one can truly explain the mystery
that awaits. Dream Tree is a story for all ages that addresses those things
in life that are so hard to explain. Though it is sometimes hard to wait,
growing up will come soon enough.
      I found myself contemplating what my children's grown-up future would
hold. Their little personalities already showing, what would they become?
What would the future hold for our students from the BELL Academy or the
WAGES program?
      It wasn't so long ago I had the very same thoughts about my own life.
      I am blind because of retinopathy of prematurity. I weighed nearly
two pounds at birth and have been told I could easily fit in the palm of my
dad's hand. Placed in an incubator, I received too much oxygen, damaging
the optic nerves of my eyes and causing blindness.
      When I was five, my family moved from our farm to Nebraska City so
that I could attend the Nebraska School for the Visually Handicapped (NSVH,
as it was known then). My parents made the difficult decision to relocate
to a new community far away from family, friends, and all they knew so that
I could continue to live at home during my school years rather than in a
dormitory. There I received a solid education and had a normal family life,
complete with two pesky little brothers, family campouts, picnics, dress-
up, and backyard sports. I believe this was critical to my success during
my formative years, and I have always been grateful my parents made the
choice they did.
      While a student at NSVH, I received training in many blindness
skills, the most critical of which was Braille, which no doubt helped me to
excel academically.
      In eighth grade I began taking classes at the public school in
Nebraska City. That was an adjustment academically and socially. I went
from all material, including textbooks, in Braille to having to learn to
use books on cassette. I love music, so I tried out for swing choir. It
took some hard work, but I made it. And, I can admit it now-my mischievous
side got the best of me, and I purposely would sometimes dance near the
edge of the stage, just 'cuz I could. Most times though I danced right in
step with everyone else because I knew instinctively that what I did would
reflect on all blind students to follow me. Although I was active in
extracurricular activities-president of our school chapter of the
Fellowship of Christian Athletes, musicals and plays, National Honor
Society, and speech team, I found it hard to make real friends and sat
through many lonely lunches. This is when those tough life questions began
to formulate. What would it be like to be a blind woman? I knew one. She
was the wife of the superintendent of NSVH and the Braillist. She was a
nice enough lady and in the church choir with me. She and her husband had
three children. I assume she prepared their meals and kept the house.
However, she could not walk the one block between her home and the school's
campus on her own. She went sighted guide every day and walked without a
cane around the school with a slow and shuffling gait. I knew I did not
want this. My own mobility lessons were once a week. I was expected to use
and trust my cane then, but at no other times was I encouraged to use it.
My mobility teacher thought it was more for recognition than a tool. "Grab
a wing. It's all right," he'd say. I did take it with me to the public
school, where I used it properly. How would I get around? I knew this was
not what I wanted for my future.
      I kept the questions and fear at bay by keeping busy. Through the
Nebraska Human Resources Department at the University of Nebraska at
Lincoln, I participated in a Big Sister-style program in which I was paired
with a blind elementary school student whom I continued to mentor well
after the program's conclusion.
      Growing up, I had few positive blind role models and limited contact
with confident competent blind peers. It was during my teenage years that I
first participated in youth programs sponsored by the Nebraska Commission
for the Blind and Visually Impaired (NCBVI), where I gained many valuable
skills and met my future husband. (So, those of you in summer youth
programs, look out! You may get more than you are bargaining for this
summer.)
      For several summers I worked as a volunteer counselor at the Summer
Kids Independence Program (SKIP) Camp, a program for children ages five to
twelve, sponsored by NCBVI. I wanted to share with other blind youth the
things I had learned during my high school journey: which plans had worked
for me, and which hadn't. I believed then and believe more absolutely today
that mentoring is important in improving one's attitude toward blindness
and a great way to learn how to handle being different in our society.
      Whether at home or at school, participating in music, academics, or
athletics, I was successfully working and competing with my sighted peers.
But, despite academic and extracurricular success, no one would hire me for
a summer or after school job. A teacher did offer me a babysitting job a
few times, but that was the extent of my work experience.
      As a senior in high school those nagging life questions from a few
years ago came back in earnest. Neither my family and teachers nor my
sighted peers had an answer. Could I really be successful as an independent
blind adult? Would I ever marry and have a family? What about employment?
Could I get a job and do it well?
      Following graduation, I began conquering those fears and seeking
answers to these nagging questions by attending the Nebraska Center for the
Blind in Lincoln. There I was first introduced to the underpinning
philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind and, equally important,
to kind and inspirational Federationists like Barbara Loos.
      Armed with newfound confidence and skills, I enrolled in Peru State
College, graduating with a BS in psychology, sociology, and criminal
justice.
      In 1993 the NFB of Nebraska established a scholarship program, and I
was its first winner. With this award I faced a turning point in the
evolution of my personal philosophy and in my affiliation with the National
Federation of the Blind. Growing up, I had been warned that the NFB was an
organization of radical, evil militants I should avoid like the plague.
Thanks to the scholarship program, I attended my first state convention in
the fall of 1993, discovered the warmth of the members of the NFB and the
important work we are doing, and haven't looked back since. YES! I could
live the life I wanted. It was there I met Chris Boone. She was confident,
smart, a law student, and a wife and mom. These were things I wanted for
myself. If she could do it, so could I!
      The very next year, in October of 1994, a handful of other concerned
blind Nebraska students along with myself were granted the charter for the
Nebraska Association of Blind Students within the Nebraska affiliate. I was
elected president of the student division, an office I held for two years.
      Since those early days in the Federation, I have held a number of
chapter and affiliate positions in Nebraska. In 2003 I was elected to serve
as affiliate president, and in the summer of 2006 was elected by the
national convention to the board of directors of the National Federation of
the Blind.
      The year 2006 was quite a monumental and emotional year in my life.
Two months before being elected to the national board, on Tuesday, May 2 at
10:26 PM, a seven-pound-ten-ounce, twenty-one-inch-long baby boy we named
Noah made his grand entrance into the world. Shane and I were proud and
excited. Naturally, we had the normal questions first-time parents would
have. But thanks to the National Federation of the Blind and the supportive
family we found there, we never doubted our abilities as blind parents-even
though some around us did. Soon after Noah's birth, (we didn't even have
his name picked out yet and still very emotional with all the birth
hormones) we were visited by a hospital social worker. He came in, notepad
and pen in hand, with a mile-long list of questions. Were we prepared at
home? How would we feed, change, and bathe our new baby? How would we know
if he was awake or hungry? (Duh!) Did we have anyone to move in with us
permanently? Now, I don't know about you, but no matter how much you love
your parents or your in-laws, you don't want them living with you. We had
heard of these things happening to other blind parents, but that was years
in the past-this shouldn't, couldn't be happening to us today! I wanted to
cry. Shane, as he usually is, was strong, pragmatic, and calm. We asked if
all new parents received a visit with questions such as these, and he had
to reluctantly admit they did not. Only if it was thought a situation
warranted special extra attention or posed a certain risk or potential for
problems did they receive a visit. So, we took a deep breath and began to
educate this guy about the real truth of blindness. Standing on the
shoulders of those successful, competent blind parents who went before us
like Marc and Patricia Maurer, Ray and Diane McGeorge, Joanne Wilson, Steve
and Nadine Jacobsen and so many more, we began to answer his questions and,
with love, hope, and determination, to explain how we would care for our
son. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, he was satisfied we were
not going to harm our son and left us alone!
      Later that same year, in November, I was assigned my first duty as a
national rep. I was to travel to Ohio, and I could bring my family with me.
I was excited to share the good work we were doing at a national level and
to learn from their affiliate and watch the always poised, confident,
smart, and well-dressed Barbara Pierce in action up close. Our trip there
was un-eventful, and the convention was positive and uplifting. Barbara was
kind and gracious, and we had a wonderful time with our Federation family
in Ohio. Confident and energized from the weekend, we boarded the plane to
return home. As we walked down the jet bridge and entered the plane, a
worried flight attendant greeted us. He physically steered us immediately
to our seats and tried multiple times to take the baby carrier, with Noah
in it right out of Shane's hands. After all, Shane might drop him. How
could he possibly get the buckle secured around the carrier properly? His
tone was condescending, and we were treated like toddlers. Did he stop to
think about how we got ourselves, our bags, and our baby on to this plane
all by ourselves? We settled Noah's seat nearest the window and farthest
away from grabbing stranger hands. Shortly after takeoff Noah was hungry. I
took him out of his seat, grabbed my cover and prepared to nurse him. Right
on cue came our friendly flight attendant with worry and warning that "You
better cover up" and "Are you ok to do this? Did I know what I was doing?"
How did he think we kept our son alive until this moment? I remained polite
on the outside and knew I needed to try and educate this guy, but on the
inside I was emotional and angry. While I was still feeding Noah, our
overly solicitous flight attendant came to take drink orders. When the
drinks were served, he brought ours in cups with lids and straws and
insisted on opening our package of pretzels for us. We could not get off
that plane fast enough! Once on the ground, we gathered our things, put
Noah in his carrier, and waited our turn to deplane. We thought we could
escape without another encounter but ... it was not meant to be. Mr. flight
attendant once again tried to convince us to sit and wait until everyone
else was off the plane and he could find help for us. We said "No thank
you," and hurried as fast as we could off that plane.
      I know that we are not alone in these types of experiences and that
others have had to deal with far harsher circumstances.
      In July of 2010 at the national convention in Dallas, we were all
shocked, appalled, and frightened to hear the news of how baby Mikaela was
taken away from her blind parents for fifty-seven long days simply because
her parents were blind. I often think of how blessed we were to have
narrowly escaped a similar fate.
      On Valentine's Day 2014, at 9:30 AM Sarah Faith arrived. This time we
would not be surprised. We were prepared. Armed with literature from the
NFB, and phone numbers of other blind parents and the national office on
speed dial, we waited for a visit from a well-intentioned social worker,
but it never came.
      Are there challenges and frustrations with being a blind parent?
Sure: Like when the room parent captain questions my ability to put
together simple treat bags for the Halloween party; like when exiting a
restaurant or crossing a street or at a checkout counter someone says what
a big helper our sighted children must be (to which Noah responds "I
guess"); or when one of the moms of Noah's friends that I have served with
on several committees and school and church groups say that Noah wasn't
asked to fill in when they were one altar boy short because they thought he
had to sit with us to help us out lest we go astray in the communion line;
or putting the KNFB reader through the paces and working with the teacher
and school to read stacks of homework sheets in print; or when, after Sarah
was born, a woman with whom I had served on the home and school board for
two years asks if we had a nanny/housekeeper live with us to help take care
of things since it must be extra difficult to manage a home and family
without sight. (I know I'd sure like a maid but don't run in the kind of
circles where one can afford one.) Sure there are lots of annoyances and
challenges, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
      Incidents such as these cause me to be invigorated to work shoulder-
to-shoulder and stride-for-stride with like-minded Federationists who hold
my same beliefs. I believe our biggest disability as blind people is the
limitations and doubts which are placed upon us by others in society. Let's
continue to march together with our hammers of determination poised to
drive home the nail of success.
      In my acceptance remarks when joining the National Federation of the
Blind Board of Directors during the NFB's 2006 national convention in
Dallas, I said that the Federation, for me, is a family. I feel at home and
empowered here, sheltered by the big branches of the mighty oak tree, a nut
that stood its ground.
      The roots of that tree go deep into the recesses of time and history.
As written about in C. Michael Mellor's book Louis Braille: A Touch of
Genius, we learn of a request for him to tutor a blind prince in the
Austrian royal family. Louis Braille declined. As it says in the book,
"According to his family, he asserted 'I am not the servant of only one
blind person. I am the servant of all blind people.'"
      Had he said this against a backdrop of arrogance, we wouldn't be
likely to see it as a good thing. However, we know that he did serve blind
people every day, including both friends and students every step of the way
when creating his code. We also know that this decision probably shortened
his life, since the air would have been much purer in Austria than at the
school in France, where he chose to stay. In other words, he ultimately
compromised his health and sacrificed his life to improve the lives of
fellow blind people. He understood, as we do in the Federation, that
individual accomplishments matter little if they don't benefit others.
      As many of you know, the National Federation of the Blind has a new
Blind Parent Initiative. This initiative includes a website,
<http://www.blindparents.org>. On this website, we want to include videos
of blind parents explaining (and possibly demonstrating) how they complete
different parenting tasks such as changing diapers, transporting babies in
strollers or carriers, keeping track of toddlers when traveling, dispensing
proper amounts of medication, helping older children with homework, feeding
infants, and helping young children learn letters, numbers, colors, and so
much more. If you are a blind parent, I hope you will take some time to
offer a video, photo, and narrative to this project.
      Sarah sighs softly in her sleep. As I gently rock her, I am contented
and at peace. My ordinary life, juggling family, Federation and work
commitments, struggling to keep all the balls in the air-this is the life
I've chosen-the life I've created. My life as a blind woman is ordinary,
not extraordinary. Therein lies its beauty.
      Finally, "She fell into a long sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the
dream tree."
      I am forever grateful for the many gifts given to me in my life. I am
blessed with a wonderful spouse. Shane is kind, funny, smart, and a leader
of this movement in his own right. I could not do the things I do without
his love and support. Together, we are living the lives we want.
      The National Federation of the Blind too has been a treasure. Melody
Beattie said, "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we
have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to
order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into
a home, a stranger into a friend.
      "Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and
creates a vision for tomorrow."
      M. Jenison said "It's your place in the world. It's your life. Go on
and do all you can with it and make it the life you want to live." The
National Federation of the Blind is a powerful and life-changing gift. It
was for me, and I hope for you too.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Tara Carty shakes hands with Ray Kurzweil while receiving
her scholarship at the 2009 National Convention.]

Remembering Tara

by Dan Facchini

>From the Editor: This article is reprinted from the fall edition of The
Sounding Board, the newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey. Here is how it was introduced by the editor:
      Editor's Note: It is with much sadness that we report the untimely
death of Tara Carty on July 11, 2016. An NFB national and state scholarship
winner, Tara was an active member of the NFBNJ. Tara was an inspiration to
all who knew her. She will be missed. The following article tells of Tara's
many challenges, her indomitable spirit, her life philosophy, and her
kindness. Here is what Dan says about the love of his life:

      My wife Tara was like any other woman of the world: she loved to go
shopping, get her nails done, and she enjoyed going to the malls with her
grandmother. Her home was very important to her. She loved to decorate for
the holidays, especially Christmas, and one of her favorite things to do
was to have friends and family over for holidays, backyard parties, and
just having a good time.
      One of Tara's lifelong dreams was to complete college after leaving
Boston College in her second semester when she was diagnosed with renal
failure as a complication of diabetes. This dream came true when she
graduated from Caldwell College in 2013 with a 4.0 GPA. Another of Tara's
dreams was to go to Disney World as an adult. This dream came true in 2016.
We went to the national convention, and we also went to Disney. Like they
always say, "All your dreams come true in Disney." This year's convention
will be the most memorable for me because another of Tara's dreams came
true. I felt her life was complete, and she was finally happy and at peace.
      My introduction to the NFB dates back about twenty years. That was my
first state convention, and it was there and then that I was introduced to
a whole new world. I no longer felt I was powerless against this blindness.
Ever since that day, the NFB has changed my way of thinking about most
everything. I was no longer an angry man with no direction. It led me to a
good job, and I again had purpose. I became a member, then became a chapter
president, and now I sit on the board of the NFBNJ. I share with others
that being blind doesn't mean we have to stop doing the things we love. We
can do anything if we put our minds to it. A blind person can do just fine
in a sighted world. Independence and success are ours for the taking.
      The biggest change in my life came in November of 2009 at our state
convention. It was there that I met the most amazing young lady, Tara
Carty. Tara was a national and state scholarship winner that year. On
Friday, November 6, 2009, in Clark, New Jersey, at the state dinner, things
changed in my life forever. After I heard Tara speak, I just knew I had to
meet her and get to know more about her.
      Now here was a person who had just recently lost her sight and had
other major health issues due to diabetes, but she still had the most
amazing outlook on life. You could tell whenever Tara spoke that she had
the biggest smile on her face, and she was glowing. Between her smile and
her attitude, she would just light up the room, and that very night she lit
up my heart as well. I remember going up to her to introduce myself, and I
was so nervous. That night we just talked and got to know more about one
another, and the more she spoke, the more I fell in love.
      For those members throughout the state who thought they knew me,
thought I was a little rough around the edges and not the one for Tara
because we came from two different sides of the tracks, I want you to know
you had nothing to worry about. Tara saw me for who I really was. Tara was
one of the few people I ever met who saw with her heart and not with her
eyes. She could talk to a person, listen to them, and decide what kind of a
person they really were.
      In Tara's scholarship application, she wrote that she sees with her
heart, and she sees people for their personalities, not for what they look
like. Well, it was a good thing for me that she did not judge me by what I
looked like!
      That year at the state convention, we had a "Kiss the Frog"
fundraiser. It was between Joe Ruffalo and me, and at the last minute Tara
took her last ten dollars and put it on Joe. She said she did not want me
kissing anyone else but her. Well, truth be told, neither did I!
      As two blind people we were able to teach one another so many things.
I can honestly say that Tara made me a better person and taught me how to
experience life more fully. There were so many things we did in the short
time we had together, and when I was with her, I was never afraid to do
anything. I don't think I could have learned or done more in a lifetime
with anyone else.
      We enjoyed traveling. Of course we went to NFB national conventions.
We also went to Saint Croix on a wonderful vacation, and then there were so
many weekend getaways for when we just wanted to be alone and forget about
everything else in the world.
      The happiest day of my life was when I took her hand at our fairy
tale wedding, and we vowed to spend each and every day together from that
day forward for as long as we lived.
      The reason I'm sharing the story of my life with Tara is because I
think sometimes people think of the NFB as a place only for business and to
get things done in the state, or in Washington on behalf of the blind and
their issues. That is part of what the organization does, and thank God for
how well we do it, but it isn't the only thing the NFB does. The NFB is a
place where people come as strangers who share a disability, but leave as
part of a family that will always be there-offering support and advice,
personally, emotionally, or yes, the practical necessities too.
      So I will leave you with this testimony: I went from being a rough,
tough exterior guy, mad at the universe for taking my sight, to a
successful businessman in the Blind Merchants Division of the NFB. This
enabled me to buy a perfect home for my lovely Tara, support the both of us
in a way I could not have done if the NFB wasn't there to guide me, but
more than even that, it gave me a home and a family in the organization.
These folks were there the day I met my Tara, and they were there holding
me up the day I had to say my goodbyes to her.
      My life is richer because of Tara, along with the list of friends and
fellow Federationists who fill my life. These people are the greatest gift
of all.
      A friend shared this quote with me, and I'd like to end with it,
since it sort of says what I've been trying to convey about the less
discussed side of the NFB: "The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe
place where we can go as we are and not be questioned."-Maya Angelou
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Nancy Burns]

A Sign of the Times

by Nancy Burns

>From the Editor: Each year I receive a tidbit after convention expressing
the concern that we are not as polite as we should be as we hurriedly
travel the halls on our way from place to place. Sometimes this is
attributed to a more aggressive younger generation, sometimes to people who
lack good mobility, and sometimes to people who are so preoccupied with
their technology that they are like the driver who is simultaneously
texting and shaving while driving to work. I have been reluctant to run
some of these articles, crediting that there will be a certain amount of
bumping and jostling in any group that includes a couple thousand blind
people, but the fact I have received items like this for the last few years
makes me wonder if a word about convention courtesy is in order.
      Nancy Burns is a former resident of California, having served for a
time as that state's affiliate president. She and Don are longtime
Federationists, and when she speaks, it is always after significant thought
and reflection. Here is what she says about her experience at the 2016
National Convention in Orlando:

      Not long ago our phones weren't smart; they were just phones. The
word JAWS might have reminded us of a scary movie, and an Angry Bird was
absolutely not something you wanted to play with.
      Advances in technology continue to introduce us to new ways of life.
It has changed the way we travel, the way we communicate, the way we work,
and the way we play. It is fair to say that nearly all of us depend on at
least some modern technology to function in society. Our dependence on
technology does come with some responsibility. Sometimes it is just
difficult to keep up with our fast-paced world. Our Victor Readers and
notetakers must stay charged in order to allow us to read that favorite
novel or keep track of notes, dates, etc.
      We, as blind people, may not step into pools while texting, or step
into ongoing traffic while playing Pokimon, but it is imperative that we
pay close attention to our surroundings. When moving about the world,
either in airports, cities, or large buildings, it is imperative that we
use our hearing along with our cane skills. If we become distracted, for
whatever reason, we may bump into someone or trip over some object.
      The recent National Convention in Orlando was a perfect example of
the need to be aware of not only ourselves, but of those around us. As a
longtime cane user I was rather surprised at some of the behavior of
convention attendees. It is understandable that excitement prevails at such
conferences, and that fact may contribute to our lack of concentration and
even lack of courtesy at times.
      In discussing this matter with others, several thoughts emerged, but
the one common thread was that many of us seem to abandon our manners and
simply plow through a crowded area. This is not a blanket indictment of all
blind travelers, but some of this behavior was disturbing. We are all
ambassadors of education, and as Pam Allen, director of the Louisiana
Center said, "We must constantly be aware of our nonverbal impressions that
we make on society." When asked if she felt that today's young travelers
were less cautious than previous generations, Pam answered that we all seem
to believe that our own generation was better but that her observations do
not confirm such a conclusion.
      One of my fellow convention attendees who is also a cane user said
that she spent a fair amount of time being bumped and jostled by others and
that she took the time to direct, and even instruct in some cases, the
invading culprit.
      I also took my concerns to Julie Deden, director of the Colorado
Center for the Blind. Julie agreed that the blind, as well as the sighted,
need to be more aware of their surroundings. She said that we all need to
slow down.
      The good news is that, because of the NFB centers, more and more
blind and visually impaired people are receiving cane travel instruction.
It is not likely that any blind person without proper training will be able
to successfully mix and mingle with the sighted world and make a positive
impression. With training and support by peers and qualified instructors a
blind person can safely and courteously navigate from coast to coast or
border to border. Once we have acquired confidence in our travel skills, we
are able to lead the life we want.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Carla McQuillan]

The 2017 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award

                             by Carla McQuillan

>From the Editor: Carla McQuillan is the president of the National
Federation of the Blind of Oregon, a member of the national Board of
Directors, and the owner and executive director of Main Street Montessori
Association, operating two Montessori schools. She is the chairman of the
Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award Committee, and she has
written this announcement seeking applications for the 2017 award:

      The National Federation of the Blind will recognize an outstanding
teacher of blind students at our 2017 annual convention, July 10 through
July 15, in Orlando, Florida. The winner of this award will receive the
following:
    . An expense paid trip to attend the convention
    . A check for $1,000
    . A commemorative plaque
    . A place on the agenda of the annual meeting of the National
      Organization of Parents of Blind Children to make a presentation
      regarding the education of blind children, and
    . The opportunity to attend seminars and workshops that address the
      current state of education of blind students, as well as a chance to
      meet and network with hundreds of blind individuals, teachers,
      parents, and other professionals in the field.

      The education of blind children is one of the National Federation of
the Blind's highest priorities. We are committed to offering and supporting
programs that enhance educational opportunities for this group. Please help
us recognize dedicated and innovative teachers who provide quality
education and meaningful experiences and opportunities for their blind
students.

      Q: Who is eligible for this award?
      A: Anyone who is currently a teacher, counselor, or the administrator
      of programs for blind students.
      Q: Does an applicant have to be a member of the National Federation
      of the Blind?
      A: No, but attending the national convention in Orlando is required.
      Q: Can I nominate someone else for this award?
      A: Yes. Applicants can be nominated by colleagues, parents,
      supervisors, or friends who have first-hand knowledge of the
      individual's work with blind students.
      Q: How would I apply?
      A: You can fill out the application at the end of this article or
      find it on our website at
      <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/distinguished-educator-of-
      blind-students-award-form-fillable.pdf>
      Q: What is the deadline to submit an application or make a
      nomination?
      A: All applications must be received no later than May 1, 2017.

      Please complete the application and attach the required documents
specified in the application. If you have questions, contact Carla
McQuillan at (541) 653-9153.

National Federation of the Blind
Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award
2017 Application
Deadline: May 1, 2017

Name: _______________________________________________________
Home Address: _________________________________________________
City, State, Zip: _________________________________________________
Phone: (H) ____________________ (W) ____________________________
Email: ______________________________________________________
School: ______________________________________________________
Address: _____________________________________________________
City, State, Zip: _________________________________________________
Use a separate sheet of paper to answer the following:
List your degrees, the institutions from which they were received, and your
major area or areas of study.
How long and in what programs have you worked with blind children?
In what setting do you currently work?
Briefly describe your current job and teaching responsibilities.
Describe your current caseload (e.g., number of students, ages, multiple
disabilities, number of Braille-reading students).

Email is strongly encouraged for transmitting nominations; letters of
support and other relevant materials should be included as attachments.
Applications sent by mail and postmarked by the deadline will also be
accepted. Send all material by May 1, 2017, to Carla McQuillan,
chairperson, Teacher Award Committee, <president at nfb-oregon.org> or by mail
to 5005 Main Street, Springfield, OR 97478; (541) 653-9153.
----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Edward Bell]

The 2017 Blind Educator of the Year Award

by Edward Bell

>From the Editor: Dr. Edward Bell is an experienced educator in his own
right. He was named Blind Educator of the Year in 2008. He chairs the 2017
Blind Educator of the Year Award Selection Committee. This is what he says:

      A number of years ago the Blind Educator of the Year Award was
established by the National Organization of Blind Educators (the educators
division of the National Federation of the Blind) to pay tribute to a blind
teacher whose exceptional classroom performance, notable community service,
and uncommon commitment to the NFB merit national recognition. Beginning
with the 1991 presentation, this award became an honor bestowed by our
entire movement. The change reflects our recognition of the importance of
good teaching and the affect an outstanding blind teacher has on students,
faculty, community, and all blind Americans.
      This award is presented in the spirit of the outstanding educators
who founded and have continued to nurture the National Federation of the
Blind and who, by example, have imparted knowledge of our strengths to us
and raised our expectations. We have learned from Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, Dr.
Kenneth Jernigan, and Immediate Past President Marc Maurer that a teacher
not only provides a student with information but also provides guidance,
advocacy, and love. The recipient of the Blind Educator of the Year Award
must exhibit all of these traits and must advance the cause of blind people
in the spirit and philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind.
      The Blind Educator of the Year Award is presented at the annual
convention of the National Federation of the Blind. Honorees must be
present to receive an appropriately inscribed plaque and a check for
$1,000.
      Nominations should be sent to Dr. Edward Bell, director, PDRIB, by
email at <ebell at latech.edu>, or post mail to PDRIB, Louisiana Tech
University, PO Box 3158, Ruston, LA 71272. Letters of nomination must be
accompanied by a copy of the nominee's current risumi and supporting
documentation of community and Federation activity. All nomination
materials must be in the hands of the committee chairman by May 1, 2017, to
be considered for this year's award. For further information contact Edward
Bell at (318) 257-4554, or <ebell at latech.edu>.

---------
[PHOTO CAPTION: James Gashel]

The Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards

by James Gashel

>From the Editor: James Gashel is secretary of the National Federation of
the Blind and chairs the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Committee. Here is his
announcement about the 2017 Bolotin Awards program:

      The National Federation of the Blind is pleased to announce that
applications are now being accepted for the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards. These
prestigious awards, granted each year as funds permit, recognize
individuals, corporations, organizations, or other entities for outstanding
work of excellence on behalf of the blind in the United States. The public
recognition ceremony will be held during the 2017 annual convention of the
National Federation of the Blind in Orlando, Florida. Each recipient will
be given a cash award in an amount determined by the Dr. Jacob Bolotin
Award Committee and will also be honored with an engraved medallion and
plaque.
      Dr. Bolotin was a pioneering blind physician who practiced in the
early twentieth century, and the awards which bear his name are made
possible through the generosity of his late nephew and niece. Their
bequest, the Alfred and Rosalind Perlman Trust, allows the National
Federation of the Blind to recognize and support the most outstanding
individuals and projects working to improve opportunities for blind people
in the United States, consistent with Dr. Bolotin's pioneering example.
      As chronicled in his biography, The Blind Doctor by Rosalind Perlman,
Dr. Bolotin fought ignorance and prejudice to gain entrance to medical
school and the medical profession. He became one of the most respected
physicians in Chicago during his career, which spanned the period from 1912
until his death in 1924. He was particularly known for his expertise in
diseases of the heart and lungs. During his successful career Dr. Bolotin
used his many public speaking engagements to advocate for employment of the
blind and the full integration of the blind into society. Interested in
young people in general and blind youth in particular, Dr. Bolotin
established the first Boy Scout troop consisting entirely of blind boys and
served as its leader.
Jacob Bolotin's wife Helen had a sister whose husband died suddenly,
leaving her to raise a son, Alfred Perlman. The Perlmans moved in with the
Bolotins when Alfred was eleven, and for four years (until Jacob Bolotin's
untimely death at age thirty-six), "Uncle Jake" became Alfred's surrogate
father. Alfred later married Rosalind, and the couple worked on a book
about Dr. Bolotin's life. After Alfred's death in 2001, Rosalind dedicated
the rest of her life to completing and publishing the book. Then, upon her
death and as part of her will, Rosalind left a bequest to the Santa Barbara
Foundation and the National Federation of the Blind to produce Dr.
Bolotin's biography and establish the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award program. Her
book, The Blind Doctor: The Jacob Bolotin Story, has been published by and
is available from Blue Point Books <www.BluePointBooks.com>.

Award Description

      In 2017 the National Federation of the Blind will again recognize
individuals and organizations that have distinguished themselves in
accordance with the criteria established to receive the Dr. Jacob Bolotin
Award. The committee will determine both the number of awards and the value
of each cash award presented. The Federation determines the total amount to
be distributed each year based on income received from the trust supporting
the award program. The award categories for each year are blind
individuals, sighted individuals, and organizations, corporations, or other
entities. Individuals may apply on their own behalf or may submit a third
party nomination, or the committee may also consider other individual or
organizational candidates.

Who Should Apply?

      Individuals: Only individuals over eighteen years of age may be
considered for a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award. Applicants must demonstrate that
they have shown substantial initiative and leadership in improving the
lives of the blind. Examples of such initiative include but are not limited
to developing products, technologies, or techniques that increase the
independence of the blind; directing quality programs or agencies for the
blind; or mentoring other blind people. All individual applicants or third-
party applicants nominating other individuals must demonstrate that the
work to be recognized has been conducted within the twelve months preceding
the application and/or that the work is continuing. Applications by or on
behalf of individuals must include at least one letter of recommendation
from a person familiar with or directly affected by the work to be
recognized.

      Organizations: Organizations may apply for a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award
in order to further programs, services, technology, or techniques of unique
and outstanding merit that have assisted and will continue to assist the
blind. Applications from third parties nominating an organization will also
be considered. The organization category includes corporations, nonprofit
organizations, or other entities, such as a specific division within an
organization. Organizations or third-party applicants must demonstrate that
the programs or services to be recognized include substantial participation
by blind people as developers, mentors, administrators, or executives, and
not merely as clients, consumers, or beneficiaries. For example, an
organization operating a program for blind youth might demonstrate that a
substantial number of the counselors, teachers, or mentors involved in the
program are blind. The organization or third-party applicant must
demonstrate that it has substantially aided blind people within the twelve
months prior to application and that an award would support efforts to
build on previous successes. The application must also include at least one
testimonial from a blind person who has benefited substantially from the
programs or services.
      To qualify for an award both individuals and organizations must be
headquartered in the United States of America, and their work must
primarily benefit the blind of the United States.

Procedures

More information, including an online application, can be found on the
National Federation of the Blind website at <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin-
award-main>.
      Online submission of nominations, letters of support, and other
relevant materials is strongly encouraged, but applications sent by mail
and postmarked by the deadline will also be accepted. The 2017 deadline for
application submission is April 15. Recipients chosen by the committee will
be individually notified of their selection no later than May 15. Receipt
of all complete applications will be acknowledged; only those applicants
chosen to receive an award will be contacted by May 15. All decisions of
the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Committee are final.
The awards will be presented in July during the annual convention of the
National Federation of the Blind. Individuals selected to receive an award
must appear in person, not send a representative. Organizations may send an
individual representative, preferably their chief executive officer.
Recipient candidates must confirm in writing that they will appear in
person to accept the award at the National Federation of the Blind annual
convention. Failure to confirm attendance for the award presentation by
June 1 will result in forfeiture of the award.

Ineligible Persons

      Those employed full-time by the National Federation of the Blind may
not apply for a Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award for work performed within the scope
of their employment. Students may not apply for both a Dr. Jacob Bolotin
Award and a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship in the same year.

----------

Recipes

      Last December the Braille Monitor put out a call for holiday recipes
on Nfbnet-members-list, and we received a delicious variety. This year, we
thought we'd do something similar. But, instead of narrowing it down to
holiday recipes, we thought we'd ask for party recipes. After the holidays
come New Year's and Super Bowl Saturday and any number of other occasions
for large gatherings.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Tom Bickford]
Rum Balls
by Tom Bickford

      Tom Bickford is best known for the Federation songs which bear his
name. He has been a member of the Federation for more than fifty years,
regularly attends conventions, and is a retired employee of the National
Library Service.

Ingredients:
1 16-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate bits
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup dark rum
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 cups finely-crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup finely-ground walnuts
sugar

      Method: In a saucepan melt the chocolate bits over low heat. Remove
from heat. Stir in sugar, rum, and corn syrup. Fold in vanilla wafers and
nuts. Shape the mixture into one-inch balls using two measuring teaspoons
of mixture for each or one eating-sized teaspoon. Roll the balls in sugar.
Store the balls in an airtight container for several days, two weeks
minimum. Makes about four dozen balls.
      One time I had dry crumbs left over, so I added a few drops of water
to make them moist enough to stick together; one might substitute a few
drops of rum. When doubling the recipe do them separately, not as one giant
batch.
----------
Buttermilk Biscuits
by Tom Bickford

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 pound margarine
3 5/8-ounce packages dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
8 to 9 cups flour
1 quart buttermilk

      Method: Cream together sugar and margarine in a large bowl (I use a
fork to do this). Sift together the first one or two cups of flour with the
remaining dry ingredients. In the bowl you creamed the sugar and margarine,
alternate adding and stirring in the flour and buttermilk. The final dough
should be light and slightly moist. Cover the bowl so the dough will not
dry out. Refrigerate the dough overnight. The dough will expand, so expect
it to do so. You may, but you don't have to, bake all the dough at the same
time. I have stored unbaked dough for as much as two weeks. The flavor will
intensify. Lightly grease muffin pan before filling cups about 3/4 full.
Allow the dough to rise another hour in the pan in a warm place. Bake at
400 degrees for 15 to 20 min. Cooked biscuits can be stored frozen.
Biscuits are best when fresh, warm, and buttered.

----------

Pumpkin Bread
by Anna Freysz Cable

      Anna Freysz Cable was a member of the Sligo Creek Chapter of the NFB
of Maryland. She lived to be 108 years old. Her loving and cheerful spirit
and her dedication to learning Braille and other blindness techniques after
losing her sight in her sixties were an inspiration, and the NFB of
Maryland named an award in her honor. She used this recipe for many bake
sales over the years.

Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup orange juice
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 one-pound-can pumpkin
1 cup raisins lightly floured to keep them from sinking to the bottom of
the pan
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

      Method: Mix sugar and salt in juice, stir to dissolve. Add cooking
oil and eggs. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat
dry mix into wet mix starting slowly. Beat in the pumpkin. Stir in raisins
and nuts last. Grease and flour two loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for one
hour and twenty minutes. Test with a toothpick. If toothpick comes out wet,
try another ten minutes. When the toothpick comes out dry, remove to a rack
for cooling. If loaves do not come out easily, run a knife around the pan
to trim off any crust that may have stuck to the edge of the pan.
      Note: You can use six mini loaf pans. Prepare batter and pans, using
the same recipe. Bake at 350 degrees for fifty minutes. I put all six mini
pans on a baking sheet to catch accidental spills.
----------
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeqo Poppers
by Megan Kindrick

      Megan Kindrick is the granddaughter of Federationist Mary Kindrick.
This recipe comes from Megan's blog The Autistic Chef. Mary says, "Just as
I advocate for the blind, she speaks for herself and others who are
autistic. I am very proud of the hard work she has done to overcome her
problems."

Ingredients:
1 12-ounce package ground sausage (I like the Jimmy Dean Sage)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
6 jalapeqo peppers
6 slices of bacon, cut in half (I find Oscar Mayer thin-sliced bacon works
best)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

      Method: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place ground sausage in a large
skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain sausage and
place in a medium bowl. Mix with the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and
set aside.
      Warning! Experience taught me that it is best to wear rubber gloves
while preparing the jalapeqo peppers. I did not do so the first time, and
my hands burned for two days, despite repeatedly washing with soap and
water. A plastic sandwich bag, used to hold the pepper, can be substituted
for the gloves. Cut jalapeqos in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. You can
leave some of the seeds if you like it hotter. Stuff each jalapeqo half
with equal portions of the sausage and cheese mixture. Wrap with half
slices of bacon. Secure bacon with toothpicks. It is best not to use
colored toothpicks, as the dye will come off while cooking. Arrange wrapped
jalapeqos on wire rack that is placed on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in
the preheated oven for twenty-five minutes, or until the bacon is brown.
----------
Sweet Potato Pie
by Rose Lee Meyer

      Rose Lee Meyer is Federationist Mary Kindrick's sister, and this
recipe is a family favorite.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (You may use canned sweet potatoes
if you wish.)
1 unbaked deep-dish pie crust

Topping:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans

      Method: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Blend sugar and spices in large
mixing bowl and set aside. Beat eggs in medium mixing bowl. Add milk and
vanilla. Combine with sugar mixture. Stir in potatoes, beat until smooth.
Pour into pie crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350
degrees, bake for 30 minutes. While the pie continues to bake, mix topping
ingredients together. Spoon topping over pie; bake an additional ten to
fifteen minutes.
----------
Egg Casserole
by Mary Kindrick

Ingredients:
12 to 16 slices of bread
8 eggs (you can use Eggbeaters)
2 cups of milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound grated cheddar cheese
1 pound of Jimmy Dean pork sausage (cooked and drained), or you can use 2
cups of cubed ham
1/2 cup of melted butter

      Method: Remove crust from bread and cut each slice in half
(vertically). Cover bottom of a nine-by-thirteen-inch Pyrex dish with one
layer of bread. Pour drained sausage (or ham) over bread, then cover with
grated cheese, then cover with another layer of bread.   Beat eggs, salt,
milk, and butter. Pour very slowly over entire casserole, being sure to get
in between everything. Refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered, at 375
degrees for forty to fifty minutes, until golden brown.
      I serve with a fruit salad, fruit juice, and maybe even some
miniature muffins-sometimes I'll even fry bacon on the side. This is great
for holiday weekends or family gatherings, as it can be prepared in
advance.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Robert Jaquiss]
Oatmeal Cookies
by Robert Jaquiss
      He says about these cookies, "Because these cookies use raw sugar and
whole wheat flour, I find they do not affect my blood sugar nearly as much
as cookies made with refined sugar and bleached flour."

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (two sticks), softened
1 cup Sucanat (brand of raw sugar)
1 cup Sucanat with honey (3/4 cup of Sucanat mixed with 1/4 cup honey)
2 large or 3 small eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 and 1/2 cups rolled oats

      Method: In a large bowl cream butter, Sucanat, and Sucanat with
honey. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Sucanat is much coarser than sugar
so make sure it is mixed. I melt the butter in a microwave for one minute;
this makes the mixing easier. In a separate bowl combine flour, cinnamon,
baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter and egg mixture. Stir
in rolled oats and mix well. The dough is very stiff, so use a heavy-duty
mixer. Scoop onto baking tray and bake for twelve minutes at 350 degrees.
Yields two dozen cookies. Optionally, 1-1/2 cup raisins, semisweet
chocolate chips, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or a combination may be
added.
      Note: When using raisins, I let them soak several hours before using
them. Adding soaked raisins makes the dough sticky.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION Scott LaBarre]
Gin and Tonic
by Scott LaBarre

      Warning: This recipe may cause the preparer to become horizontal with
or without company at an undesired point; cause the preparer to act
inappropriately; perhaps cause the preparer to tell the truth about friends
and family, or perhaps even say or do something witty. An unanticipated
benefit may be that the preparer may think he/she is actually
handsome/pretty, slender, and intelligent regardless of prevailing views
and established fact. Note also that this recipe is best enjoyed on hot
days, on a patio (friends and family present optional). This recipe can be
prepared at any time of day because it is always 5:00 o'clock somewhere.

Ingredients:
Gin
Tonic
ice
lime or lemon, sliced (optional)

      Method: Take one glass (size at discretion of drinker). Pour in a big
splash of gin (Tanqueray preferred). Add ice to preference. Add some tonic
followed by another big splash of gin. Did I say another splash of gin?
Place a slice of lime or lemon on rim of glass or into drink to preference.
Repeat process until appropriately tuned.
----------
Mexican and (Puerto Rican) Wedding Cakes
by Eileen Rivera Ley

      Eileen says about this recipe: My sister Millie and I have lots of
siblings. Each Christmas our mom had us each pick a special "signature"
cookie recipe to make with her. This way we had a lovely variety to enjoy.
My brother Ed would make chocolate pinwheels, I made Walnut Diamonds,
Sandra perfected Mexican wedding cakes, Millie baked peanut butter
cookies, sweet Caroline decorated the cut out cookies and little Jorge
specialized in chocolate chips. (Little Susie was off the hook.) Of course
some traditions last a lifetime while others make way for new ones. These
days all the Rivera kids always make these amazing Mexican Wedding Cakes
during the holidays.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup roasted nuts (walnuts/pecans)

      Method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast nuts for four to seven
minutes, tossing half way through. Cream butter and powdered sugar; add
vanilla. In small bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to
butter/sugar/vanilla mixture. Add fully cooled nuts (throw them in freezer
for a while if needed). Roll the dough into 1-1/4 inch balls (smaller is
prettier). Bake at 400 degrees for ten to twelve minutes or until light
golden brown. When fully cooled, roll cookies in powdered sugar. We double
the recipe and keep half in the fridge to bake as needed.
----------
Eggnog Bread
by Shannon Cook

      Shannon is a Columbia chapter member and NFB of South Carolina Board
member.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup eggnog
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp rum extract
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder

      Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bread pan. Beat eggs. Add
sugar, eggnog, butter, rum, and vanilla. Blend well. Add flour, baking
powder, and nutmeg. Stir until just moistened. Pour into bread pan. Bake at
350 for forty-five minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for ten
minutes before turning out of pan.
----------
Buttery Toffee Cookies
by Michelle Clark

      Michelle is the president of the National Harbor chapter of the NFB
of Maryland.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8-ounce package milk chocolate toffee bits

      Method: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, butter, egg, and
vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until
creamy. Add flour, baking soda, and salt; beat at low speed, scraping bowl
often, until well mixed. Stir in toffee bits. Drop dough by rounded
teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake ten to twelve minutes or
until lightly browned. Cool one minute on cookie sheets; remove to cooling
rack. Consider using parchment paper. Makes forty-eight cookies.
----------
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
by Michelle Clark

Ingredients:
Corned Beef:
3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
2 carrots, cut into two-inch pieces
2 medium onions, chopped
1 small head green cabbage, cored, roughly chopped
2 cups apple juice
1 cup water

Potatoes:
1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, sliced in half
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

      Method: Put the carrots and onions on the bottom of slow cooker, and
put the corned beef on top. Arrange the chopped cabbage around the beef.
Add the apple juice and one cup of water along with the contents of the
spice packet. Cook on low for six to eight hours until the beef is tender.
Remove the beef and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
      For the potatoes: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add
the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about twelve to fifteen
minutes. Drain and return them to the pot. Add the butter, garlic, parsley,
and salt, and pepper to taste. Gently combine so that all the potatoes are
evenly coated. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with corn beef and
vegetables from the slow cooker.
----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Amy Mason]
Bleu Cheese Dressing/Dip
by Amy Mason

      Amy Mason hails from Nebraska and works at the Jernigan Institute in
the National Braille and Technology Center.

Ingredients:
1 16-ounce container of cottage cheese (2% fat or more gives the richest
flavor)
1 4- to 6-ounce container of bleu cheese crumbles
Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
Minced garlic
Milk

      Method: Place the cottage cheese, a small amount of milk, and half of
the bleu cheese crumbles in a blender and blend until smooth. Mix in salt,
pepper, lemon juice, and garlic to taste (start with half teaspoons of salt
and pepper, a teaspoon of lemon juice, and two to three cloves of garlic,
or a teaspoon of the already minced stuff from the store.) Blend in more
milk until the dressing reaches the desired consistency. Mix-don't blend-in
remaining bleu cheese crumbles, or serve with these sprinkled on top for a
more festive appearance. For best results refrigerate for at least four
hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld.

----------

Monitor Miniatures

News from the Federation Family

Congratulations on Additions to the Federation Family:
      Friday, September 23, 2016, NFB of Montana President Joy Breslauer
and her husband Bruce became the proud grandparents of twin girls, Blake
Kendalyn-Marie Sanderson and Beckett Analyn-Rose Sanderson, 4.13 and 5.7
pounds respectively. Although the twins were born a few weeks early, they
did not spend any time in the NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit). Mother
and both babies are doing fine. This makes seven grandchildren for the
Breslauers.

Elected:
      The following officers were elected at the 2016 State Convention of
the NFB of North Dakota on Saturday, September 17 in the city of Fargo:
president, Milton Ota; vice president, Duane Iverson; secretary/treasurer,
Jessiaca Evans; and director, Jesse Shirek.

In Brief

      Notices and information in this section may be of interest to Monitor
readers. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information; we
have edited only for space and clarity.

Computers for the Blind Expand Service:
      Computers for the Blind (CFTB) is pleased to announce a substantial
grant from the Reading Resource fund, Communities Foundation of Texas to
provide almost 700 computers to people on SSDI and/or SSI, as well as
families of children with visual impairments.
      Please share widely with staff and consumer organizations, and
parents of children with visual impairments and their support groups such
as the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children. Consumers who
are on SSI and/or SSDI can receive a desktop computer package (desktop
computer, flat screen monitor, and peripherals) for $50 or a laptop for
$70. An award letter from SSA is required.
      Parents of a child with a visual impairment may receive a desktop
computer package (desktop computer, flat screen monitor, and peripherals)
for $50 or a laptop for $70. A letter of recommendation from the student's
teacher of the visually impaired (TVI) is required. The letter needs to
indicate that obtaining a computer at our standard price of $110 would
create a financial burden on the family. No other financial information is
needed. The TVI also needs to indicate that the student needs a computer
and is capable of benefiting from it. Note: We have discovered that a child
who can press the spacebar may be able to use a computer with proper
training, special software, and USB connections.
      Go to the CFTB website to see what we provide. All computers have a
two-year warranty. Purchase orders are not accepted for this grant. CFTB
does not recommend and rarely approves a laptop computer for people who use
MAGic screen magnification because the laptop screen is not large enough.
CFTB now accepts credit and debit cards or PayPal. Talking Typing Teacher
is available from MarvelSoft for $10 through this grant. It is 90 percent
off of retail and is highly recommended for all users!
      For additional information or to place an order contact customer
service at (214) 340-6328. Please leave one message only. Staff will get
back to you within two business days. Write to
<info at computersfortheblind.net> or visit us at
<www.computersfortheblind.net>.

The Selective Doctor Closes Its Doors:
      We have closed The Selective Doctor, Inc. effective October 31, 2016.
Our business began in March 1992, and we have repaired over 7,100 Perkins
Braillers since that date. It is with great sadness that we close but feel
it's time to retire due to Joe's back injury.
      We want to thank all of our customers for trusting us with their
Braillers for the past twenty-four years and have thoroughly enjoyed the
bonds we have made over the years. To express your appreciation of the long
service given by Joe Staniewski Jr., email him at
<braillerrepair at yahoo.com>.

Leading the Way:
      A group of twenty-two blind, visually impaired, and sighted students
across the US ages fifteen to nineteen will have an amazing opportunity to
participate in a nine-month program that includes an expedition to the
Grand Canyon with No Barriers Youth on July 14 to 25, 2017. Over the course
of twelve days, students will journey into the heart of the Grand Canyon,
learning about the importance of natural sounds, participating in
meaningful science, learning about career opportunities with the National
Park Service, and honing their leadership strengths. At the end of this
transformative expedition, students emerge as leaders ready to face
personal and global barriers with passion and perseverance and inspired and
equipped to be the next generation of ambassadors for the National Park
Service.
      No Barriers USA was co-founded by the first blind mountaineer to
summit Everest, Erik Weihenmayer. The cost for the trip is $510 plus travel
to Phoenix, Arizona.  Due to generous funding (a $3,300 scholarship for
each accepted student) from the National Park Service's Natural Sound and
Night Skies Division (NSNSD), this program has been significantly reduced
from its original price.
      Eligible students are those who are blind, visually-impaired, or
sighted between the ages of fifteen and nineteen. To apply, submit an
online application and correlating materials here:
<https://nobarriersusa.wufoo.com/forms/2017-leading-the-way-grand-canyon-
application/>. Preference is given to those who apply by the early deadline
of December 12, but applications are accepted until January 13, 2017.
      Please contact us at <LeadingTheWay at nobarriersusa.org> or call us at
(970) 484-3633 with any questions, and share this email with those who may
be interested. If you share this message, please CC
<LeadingTheWay at nobarriersusa.org> so we can see our reach. If you "like" No
Barriers Youth on Facebook, you can see our post about this program and
share it on social media. You can also nominate a student here:
<https://nobarriersusa.wufoo.com/forms/leading-the-way-nomination-form-
2017/>.
      Thank you for helping to spread the word, and we look forward to
connecting with you!
NFB Pledge
      I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.