[NFB-NM] more TV providers provide talking menus for blind subscribers

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 18:46:55 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----

From: Nfb-announce [mailto:nfb-announce-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
David Andrews via Nfb-announce

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:12 PM

To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org

Subject: [Nfb-announce] Fwd: more TV providers provide talking menus for
blind subscribers

The area of accessible television is getting more activity of late -- this
information may interest you.

Dave

From: Ray Foret jr <rforet7706 at comcast.net

Subject: more TV providers provide talking menus for blind subscribers

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 02:50:28 -0600

To: David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com

Greetings,

As we all know, the Federal Communications Commission has enacted the

Telecommunications act which requires provision for talking menu and or

talking guide structure for blind subscribers of TV providing services.

The first link is critically important for it leads to a FAQ sheet in

which there is information for filing complaints if necessary:

https://www.fcc.gov/television-and-set-top-box-controls-menus-program-guides
-factsheet

Following is a list of TV providers who now provide some kind of audio

or talking menu structure for blind subscribers.  Mostly, these

providers require that the subscriber have the top of the line DVR box

for this to work.  I must admit that I was quite surprised to see the

TV satellite companies on board.

Comcast:

http://www.comcast.com/accessibilitywww.comcast.com/accessibility

Tivo:

https://www.tivo.com/accessibilityhttps://www.tivo.com/accessibility
<https://www.tivo.com/accessibilityhttps:/www.tivo.com/accessibility>

Spectrum, (formerly Charter)

http://www.charter.net/support/accessibility/talking-guide-spectrum-guide-su
pport/

Direct TV:

https://support.directv.com/equipment/talking-guide-faq

Dish Network:

https://www.dish.com/accessibility/

Verizon Fios:

http://www.verizon.com/about/accessibility/text-speech?pos=1

Of course, Apple TV is accessible and that's always a plus too.

Sent from my Mac, The Only computer with full accessibility for the

blind built-in

Sincerely, The Constantly Barefooted Ray,

Still a very happy Comcast XFinity Voice Guidance, Mac, Verizon

Wireless iPhone7+ and Apple TV user!

Nfb-announce at nfbnet.org

Nfb-announce:

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-announce_nfbnet.org/tltrapp.7.467%40gm