[NFB-NM] The Braille Monitor, November 2016

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 04:29:58 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org [mailto:brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org]
On Behalf Of Brian Buhrow
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 10:55 PM
To: brl-monitor at nfbcal.org
Subject: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, November 2016

                               BRAILLE MONITOR
Vol. 59, No. 10  November 2016
                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash
drive, by the
      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314
      email address: nfb at nfb.org
      website address: http://www.nfb.org
      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org
      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300
       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind
                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice
            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and
orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles
for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national
office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.
Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the
subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation
of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind
      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES
    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;
 BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
 IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR
                                 OURSELVES.
ISSN 0006-8829
) 2016 by the National Federation of the Blind
      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick
or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a
National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the
familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and
a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This
smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad
covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one
position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.
(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,
the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is
inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital
materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,
when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.
      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to
your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb
drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in
order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with
the drive when you return the device.

Vol. 59, No. 10                                          November 2016

      Contents

Illustration: Through Similarities and Differences, the Blind Still Intend
to Speak for the Blind

Welcoming the Blind of the World to the United States of America
by Mark Riccobono

The World Blind Union: Future Challenges and Opportunities
by Fredric K. Schroeder, PhD

Change in the Wind at the World Blind Union General Assembly
by Marc Maurer

Reflections from a First-Time Attendee and the Joy in Helping Host a
Meeting of the World Blind Union and the International Council for
Education of People with Visual Impairment
by Gary Wunder

My Leadership Journey
by Karen Keninger

Nurture the Ability, Sustain the Confidence
by Fredric K. Schroeder

Leadership: Perspectives from Ron McCallum
by Ron McCallum

Digital Accessibility: Changes for the Good, and Challenges for the Present
and Future
by Gary Wunder

Statement of the National Federation of the Blind Marrakesh Treaty to
Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who Are Blind, Visually
Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled
by Mark Riccobono

Newer and Flashier is Not Always Better
by Mark Jones

How Exponential Technologies Will Impact Disabilities
by Ray Kurzweil

National Industries for the Blind: Continuing to Raise Expectations and
Create Opportunities
Kevin Lynch

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO CAPTION: Session meeting of the WBU delegates]
[PHOTO CAPTION: Three of the delegates from India wearing headphones as
they listen]
[PHOTO CAPTION: The enclosed booth where the translators work at the back
of the WBU meeting room.]
   Through the Similarities and the Differences, the Blind Still Intend to
                             Speak for the Blind

      When you look at the pictures of the World Blind Union General
Assembly, they look similar to those captured at the National Federation of
the Blind's national convention. Their delegates look a lot like the
Federationists who attend the convention. The delegates sit at rows of
tables instead of the rows of chairs to which Federationists are
accustomed. But, like attendees at our conventions, they're all sitting and
listening to speakers making their presentations.
      It's only as you look closer that you realize that many of the
delegates are wearing headphones. They're not listening to music; they're
listening to the language they understand by translators courtesy of the
National Federation of the Blind. The booth of translators at the back of
the room is a bit different from the NFB convention, where interpreters for
the deaf and hard of hearing diligently work, but these translators create
the mechanism through which global discussion and action can take place. No
matter how similar or different, it is inspiring to see the blind speaking
for themselves.

      Welcoming the Blind of the World to the United States of America
                              by Mark Riccobono

Opening Remarks to the Ninth General Assembly
World Blind Union
Orlando, Florida
August 19, 2016

      Delegates, observers, and friends of the World Blind Union, on behalf
of the tens of thousands of members of the National Federation of the Blind
I welcome you to the United States of America. America is a country that
values freedom, independence, opportunity, determination, and democracy.
Born out of revolution, our country constantly strives to have a more
perfect union, including individuals with diverse characteristics,
backgrounds, and beliefs. Through the value of freedom of speech, we
empower our citizens to vigorously debate the governing principles of our
land and to breakdown barriers to equality of opportunity and
participation. The American dream has come to be the term used to describe
the value that in our country all people can achieve their individual
aspirations with the freedom and opportunities provided in our local
communities and supported by equal protection under the law. Yet even in
this great nation some classes of people continue to struggle for equal
access to those ideals two hundred and forty years after our democracy was
established. Although the blind have been one of the groups denied the
complete rights and opportunities offered under our democracy, during the
past seventy-six years significant progress has been made toward equality
in society through our vehicle for collective action-the National
Federation of the Blind.
      A brilliant young blind scholar of the United States Constitution was
the rallying point for organizing the blind of America on a nationwide
basis in 1940. Dr. Jacobus tenBroek was the founding President of the
National Federation of the Blind and served as its primary leader until his
death in 1968. At the birth of our organization he shared these words that
are still the foundation of our organization and which apply also to the
World Blind Union: "Collectively, we are the masters of our own future and
the successful guardian of our own common interests. Let one speak in the
name of many who are prepared to act in his support, let the democratically
elected blind representatives of the blind act as spokesman for all, let
the machinery be created to unify the action and concentrate the energies
of the blind..."
      The Federation has always valued formal and informal opportunities to
collaborate with other blind people around the world. In 1952 the National
Federation of the Blind National Convention voted to join the World Council
on the Welfare of the Blind (WCWB), but Dr. tenBroek quickly came to
realize that the WCWB would not be a progressive world forum for action by
the blind. The Federation continued to seek meaningful international
connections to the blind through the work of pioneering blind leaders like
Isabel Grant, who traveled the world to share the Federation philosophy and
learn about the progress of blind people in other countries.
      In 1964 we formed the International Federation of the Blind (IFB) as
an authentic international forum for blind people. Dr. tenBroek became the
IFB's first president, and its constitution was drafted by Dr. Kenneth
Jernigan, who would later become President of the National Federation of
the Blind and the most influential leader in the area of blindness during
the twentieth century. The first convention for the IFB was planned for
1969, but Dr. tenBroek's early death in 1968 took much of the momentum out
of the new organization. In 1984 a joint meeting of the IFB and WCWB was
held that resulted in the creation of the World Blind Union. Today we can
be proud that the World Blind Union has grown into an effective
international vehicle for collaboration and a meaningful advocacy
organization led by the blind.
      We invite our brothers and sisters from around the world to our home
to share with us the ideas, insights, innovations, and dreams that come
from your unique perspectives. We also share with you our progress along
with our desire to continue to test the limits and raise expectations for
the blind anywhere in the world. Since 1940 we have tackled discrimination
in every aspect of life: education, employment, travel, finances,
healthcare, recreation, civic participation, and parenting. We have used
many tools in our work: organizing in local communities, marching in the
streets, battling in the courts, persuading in the boardrooms, moving the
politics in Congress, changing perceptions in the media, and demonstrating
equality in living the lives we want. We have published extensively about
our progress, and we have distributed thousands of pages of literature to
all parts of our country and many parts of the world. We now provide free
access to all of our publications via our website, <www.nfb.org>. Our
national convention, the annual gathering where we discuss our progress and
set our priorities, is now the largest annual gathering of blind people
anywhere in the world, and we are honored to welcome guests from twenty
foreign countries to our conventions on a regular basis.
      In the spirit of innovation that characterizes our nation, the blind
of America have led the way in engineering solutions to take advantage of
the full capacity of blind people and to eliminate artificial barriers that
hold us back. One example is our work, beginning in 1975, to develop a
reading machine for the blind with genius inventor Ray Kurzweil. The
original reading machine was big, slow, and expensive, but it was
revolutionary. Through our continued investment and engagement in refining
reading technology, we now have a reading machine that can be used on
handheld smartphones, which recognizes text in a second, and which costs
less than $100. The current reading machine is known as the KNFB Reader,
and it runs on iOS, Android, and very shortly on Windows. This technology
is as strong as it is because the blind are leading the way in its
development.
      Literacy is critical to full participation in our society, and each
and every person in this room knows that for the blind that means Braille
literacy. From aggressively pursuing new Braille literacy programs to
actively working on the Marrakesh Treaty, we march confidently with our
friends in the World Blind Union to raise expectations for the blind in
accessing the world's knowledge. At the urging of the National Federation
of the Blind, the United States Congress authorized the minting of the
first-ever US coin that included actual tactile Braille. Released in 2009,
the Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar created a forum for greater
awareness of the value of Braille and the barriers to quality Braille
instruction in the United States educational system, and sales of the coin
generated funds to spark new Braille literacy programs. The launch of the
Louis Braille coin and the educational programs initiated in 2009 were led
by a leader of the National Federation of the Blind and the WBU's first
vice president, Fred Schroeder. One of the results of our enhanced Braille
literacy efforts was the nationwide expansion of the National Federation of
the Blind Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy. The
NFB BELL Academy provides blind children with two weeks of quality
instruction in Braille, opportunities to practice skills like independent
travel with a long white cane, and increased confidence from working with
blind adult role models from a variety of backgrounds. During this summer
alone, we have offered forty-six NFB BELL Academies in thirty-one states
providing more than seventeen thousand hours of instruction to more than
three hundred blind youth.
      The United States is known for its technological innovations,
including advancing the exploration of new frontiers in the universe. For
over a decade, the Federation has been leading the way to inspire and
engage blind students in science, technology, engineering, art, and math.
In honor of our work and to help spread awareness about Braille, the
National Aeronautics and Space Administration flew two of our Louis Braille
coins aboard the Atlantis shuttle on mission STS125. Although we have yet
to get a blind person into the astronaut corps and into space, we believe
that the first blind astronaut is alive today, and through our work we will
realize success in this and other frontiers. Leaders of the National
Federation of the Blind were on hand at the Kennedy Space Center-not too
far from Orlando-for the launch of STS125 to witness Braille flying into
orbit. In honor of our collective determination to expand the horizons for
the blind, we thought we would share with you what it was like to be on
hand for the launch of that space shuttle and the first few minutes of
flight. [An audio presentation from the launching of STS125 was played and
was greeted with cheers and applause.]
      Although the automobile was not invented in the United States, our
country has taken great pride in cars that are made in America. Driving has
come to be a symbol of freedom, independence, and power. Until the last
decade, everybody believed that driving a car required the use of sight. In
the National Federation of the Blind we continue to ask each other
challenging questions about the limits for blind people. Every day we seek
to raise expectations for the blind because we know that low expectations
are the true obstacle between blind people and our dreams. As we turned the
calendar to the twenty-first century, Marc Maurer, who served as President
of the Federation from 1986 to 2014, began asking why vision is a
requirement for driving. He wondered out loud if we could build access to
information systems that could present data nonvisually and whether blind
people could use their own abilities to drive a car completely without
sighted assistance. From Dr. Maurer's idea and under his leadership, the
National Federation of the Blind began engaging with engineers around the
Blind Driver Challenge. While America did not invent the car, the blind of
America did imagine, engineer, and develop the technology so that we could
accomplish the goal of blind people driving independently.
      On January 29, 2011, I was honored to be the driver for the first
public demonstration of our Blind Driver Challenge project. This took place
just one hour from here at the most famous racetrack in our nation-the
Daytona International Speedway. Let's relive what it was like for me as the
driver and for the five hundred members of the Federation who were among
the tens of thousands of spectators that were present. [Audio from the
Daytona 500 describing Mark Riccobono's trip around the racetrack energized
the audience.]
[PHOTO CAPTION: Mark Riccobono sits in the Blind Driver Challenge vehicle,
ready to take WBU delegates for a quick spin.]
      While we do not yet have the power to put you on a space shuttle, we
do have the ability to give you a ride in our blind drivable vehicle with a
blind person as your chauffer. On Monday afternoon, we will have a limited
number of opportunities for WBU delegates to take a trip around the parking
lot with me driving the car. Please visit our general assembly welcome desk
in the foyer area to sign up for one of the available times.
      The blind of America continue to seek new ways to expand
opportunities for the blind. We no longer know where the limits are for
blind people. We do know that our imagination and dedication will allow us
to pursue all of our dreams. We also know that the collaboration of the
blind of our country with the blind around the world is increasingly
important in pursuing those dreams. Many of the artificial barriers we
encounter-whether it is inaccessible books and technology, the danger that
quiet cars pose to all pedestrians, or the misconceptions about blindness
that are used to restrict our rights-are now barriers on a global scale.
However, these barriers are no match for the self-determined, action-
oriented, and authentically driven union that brings us together today. On
behalf of the National Federation of the Blind, we welcome you to our home,
we thank you for your work to make our lives better as blind people, and we
welcome the opportunity to learn from and share with you. In closing, I
share with you the promise that the members of the National Federation of
the Blind make to each other, as it is a promise we also share with the
delegates of the World Blind Union: Together with love, hope, and
determination, we transform dreams into reality.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Fredric K. Schroeder]
         The World Blind Union: Future Challenges and Opportunities
                        by Fredric K. Schroeder, PhD

      From the Editor: Fredric Schroeder is one of the most prolific and
thought-provoking writers we have, and when his name appears on the annual
convention agenda, the speeches he gives never fail to command attention
and spark discussion. It is no accident that Fred Schroeder is now the
president of the World Blind Union, and his service will no doubt bring the
same class, intelligence, and insight that have benefited the blind of the
United States. Here is what he writes for the Braille Monitor following the
meeting at which he was elected:

      The problems confronting blind people worldwide are not hard to list:
blind children face barriers to a good education; blind adults face high
unemployment; and all of us face well-intended yet damaging low
expectations. We face limited opportunities that have defined our history
and plague the present. So, what can and will we do? Where do we begin?
What will the future be for the estimated 285 million blind and visually
impaired people around the world? Will it be a continuation of poverty,
lost opportunity, and discouragement, or will it be one of hope and
optimism? That was the question facing the delegates to the World Blind
Union's Ninth General Assembly held August 18 to 25, 2016, in Orlando,
Florida.
      While the challenges are vast and complex, the solution is not
mysterious nor beyond conception or reach. Time and time again, we have
seized control of our own lives and asserted our ability and right to equal
opportunity. We have joined together and worked together. We have combined
our energy, resources, and imagination, and by so doing we have shown over
and over again that, given the opportunity, blind people can live and work
as others.
      The World Blind Union 2016 General Assembly was a time for
reflection, a time for discussion and planning, and a time for the blind of
the world to take unified and concerted action.
      We discussed access issues, including the challenges presented by the
increase in the use of shared spaces; limitations in web accessibility; the
danger of silent cars; the need to make books available in accessible
formats and more. We discussed education and employment, but the 2016
General Assembly was more than a time to meet and plan; it was a time to
encourage and inspire one another. At the General Assembly there were blind
people helping blind people; blind people sharing their ideas and
experiences; and blind people lifting one another's confidence and
expectations.
      At conventions of the National Federation of the Blind, it is
customary to have "talking signs," not electronic signs that talk, but
blind people giving information and direction to other blind people. The
idea of talking signs may not seem remarkable or dramatic, but it is a
tangible expression of our shared belief in one another, our shared
philosophy, and the recognition that, as blind people, we need information,
but our need for information does not mean we need a protector or
caretaker. The understanding that we can determine the direction of our own
lives is at the heart of collective action; it is the foundation for
forcing change and expanding opportunities. Some problems take money to
address and others not. Some problems require advocacy or legal action and
others not. Some require organized programs of public education, and some
require individual blind people encouraging one another; but all require a
belief in our right and ability to live full and productive lives,
according to our capacity and willingness to work hard.
      At the 2016 General Assembly, I was privileged and honored to be
elected President of the World Blind Union. It is a four-year term and one
full of challenges. But I am not in it alone, any more than the blind child
fighting for an education or the blind adult fighting for a job. They are
not alone. The challenges facing one blind person are the challenges facing
us all. Each of us is the talking sign for another, encouraging and
supporting one another.
      In the United States parents fight for the right for their blind
children to learn Braille and to gain a good education; the same is true
around the world. In the United States blind adults face unemployment; the
same is true around the world. In the United States we battle for equal web
accessibility; the same is true around the world. In the United States we
combat low expectations, low expectations that blight lives and crush the
human spirit; the same is true everywhere around the world. The details are
different, but the root cause is the same-low expectations and limited
opportunity.
      The good news is that there are 285 million of us around the world;
285 million talking signs, supporting one another, providing direction and
encouragement; 285 million talking signs believing in one another. Will we
make progress in the coming four years? Of course, but the real question is
not whether we will make progress but how much. In the years to come, I
will do my very best, sustained by the knowledge that together we have made
progress beyond our wildest imaginings, and together we will continue to
change the world.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Marc Maurer]
        Change in the Wind at the World Blind Union General Assembly
                               by Marc Maurer

      The World Blind Union and the International Council for Education of
People with Visual Impairment held joint meetings in Orlando, Florida,
during August of 2016. This was a joyful opportunity for the National
Federation of the Blind because our organization served as the primary host
for these meetings. One of the more notable results from this meeting is
that Dr. Fredric Schroeder was elected to the presidency of the World Blind
Union. In 1964 Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, the founding president of the National
Federation of the Blind, was elected as founding president of the
International Federation of the Blind, one of the two organizations that
formed the World Blind Union twenty years later. This brings the presidency
of the primary world organization of blind people back to the United
States. Dr. tenBroek would be pleased.
      I served as chairman of the host committee, and from this position I
came to know innumerable details about the operations of the meetings we
held. I also reflected about past meetings of the world organization and
about my participation in them.
      I first traveled to the World Blind Union meeting that was held in
Madrid, Spain, in 1988. My experience with blindness-related organizations
consisted mostly of interacting with the National Federation of the Blind
and certain agencies doing work with the blind in this country. The World
Blind Union was startlingly different from what I had known. In planning
the 2016 meeting, I wondered how startlingly different the delegates to the
world meeting would find their experience in the United States.
      In Madrid, to begin with, the food was not standard American fare-how
unexpected is that for an inexperienced American? And the Spanish didn't
eat it in a pattern that seemed comprehensible to my stomach. The days
began early, and they continued into the night. We stayed at an
international hotel, which meant that a modified American breakfast could
be found. The breakfast was part of the hotel package, and we felt some
compunction to eat it because it would be wasteful not to do so. In 1988
the National Federation of the Blind had come out of a period of our
history when the organization had wondered whether we could gather the
funds to continue, and we were quite conscious of not wasting a dime. Of
course we still have that view, but differences in cultural norms are
sometimes easier to accommodate when we've had a little more experience
with them. If I traveled to Madrid today, I would probably spend more time
resting and a little less with breakfast.
      My problem was that the restaurants didn't open at night until 9:00
PM, and the dinner hour was a leisurely affair. It often concluded after
midnight. Then I would have to be prepared for breakfast at 7:00 AM.
Apparently Spanish people have a nap in the middle of the day (sometimes
called a siesta), but we had meetings. After a few days the 7:00 AM to
after midnight schedule began to wear on me.
      Of course Spain is a fascinating country. We visited la Alhambra, a
hilltop fortress which also includes royal gardens and palaces. During the
tour we passed through the throne room, and I wondered what distinguishes a
throne? After all, a throne is a place to sit, and monarchs are not
strikingly different from other people in their sitting requirements. Many
years later when I was visiting the House of Lords in London, Lord Colin
Low told me that the person who chairs the House of Lords, the Lord
Speaker, sits on a bag of wool. I concluded from this and from my reading
about the British Constitution that the Woolsack was adopted as a piece of
history. Wool became a primary export for England in the thirteenth
century, and the government of the country stabilized its financial
operation by a modest tax on the wool export. However, these reflections
have still not told me what there is essential about a throne. I feel
certain that it is not an ordinary chair. When I was visiting the throne
room at la Alhambra, I wanted to find out, and I stepped over the rope to
touch the throne. A guard in the throne room warned me away. I still don't
know what there is special about a throne.
      Our hosts in Madrid, leaders of ONCE, the Spanish National
Organization for the Blind, were most gracious. They took us to a
restaurant where Ernest Hemingway had enjoyed dining, El Sobrino de Botmn,
and I tasted suckling pig for the first time. I have been convinced ever
since that the Spanish know what to do with pork. One of the days in Spain
was set aside for tours, and some of us went to Toledo, the former capital
of the country. I had read novels about how a single human being could
block a street, and I did not really believe it could be done. But some of
the streets in Toledo were built between stone walls and were narrow enough
that I could reach almost from one side to the other. The construction of
such passages was both fascinating and impressive.
      In 2016 we did not plan for a siesta in the middle of the day. I
wondered how this would seem to delegates who were coming to our meeting
for the first time from countries where such a custom is part of the
tradition. I also wondered what other customs that we take for granted
would seem unusual.
      The meetings we planned in Orlando lasted eight days. Sometimes they
were meetings for the World Blind Union, sometimes they were meetings for
the International Council for Education of People with Visual Impairment,
and sometimes the meetings were jointly conducted. One element of these
meetings was the tea break. One occurred from 10:30 to 11:00 in the
morning, and one occurred from 3:30 to 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon. We
don't have these at NFB conventions. However, they are expected at World
Blind Union meetings. At the tea break it is anticipated that everybody who
wants to have tea, coffee, muffins, or pastries available, will get them.
In planning the World Blind Union meeting I was charged with the
responsibility of assuring that these breaks would occur as scheduled with
the beverages and food available for each participant. I have managed a
great many meetings in American hotels, and I know that buying coffee by
the gallon is a dramatically expensive experience. Nevertheless, I planned
the tea breaks. When I checked them, I noticed that they were well
attended.
      At some of the World Blind Union general assemblies a set lunch is
one of the elements of the program, but the international organizing
committee did not request that we plan prepared lunches for the delegates.
We do like to eat in the United States, but we don't like restrictions. We
usually hope to find many different kinds of food outlets wherever we go
that remain open most of the day and much of the night and that offer a
wide array of choices. Our more adventuresome colleagues tried the
restaurants in the Rosen Centre and nearby the hotel such as the Red
Lobster, Denny's, a barbecue spot, or fine dining establishments. Some like
pizza, some like fast food, some like products of the sea, and some like
seared steak. It appeared to me that our colleagues in the World Blind
Union felt much the same.
      Two basic types of entities exist in the field of work with the
blind. These are agencies serving the blind and organizations of the blind.
In many parts of the world organizations of the blind are scarce.
Organizations of the blind are made up of blind people who elect their
leaders and who, through a democratic process, determine the policies and
direction for the organization. In places where blind people have
established organizations of the blind, the concept that blind people
should run their own programs is no longer novel. However, where
organizations of the blind have not been created by blind people, the idea
that the blind have the ability to manage the planning and detailed
execution required to run a complex organization with significant programs
is often regarded as a form of insanity. Blind people cannot lead other
blind people, it is thought, because when this takes place, all fall in the
ditch. Consequently, the thought that democracy exercised among blind
people can create programs that sustain independence for blind people is
controversial.
      How, I wondered, would delegates from other nations feel about being
with members of the National Federation of the Blind who are blind
themselves and who expect to run the organization in which they are a part?
In many of the World Blind Union meetings the volunteer contingent
assembled to help delegates consists of sighted people. I planned to have
volunteers available, but a great many of them were blind people. How would
the delegates react to this, I wondered? Would they feel uneasy with this
kind of volunteer? Pam Allen served as coordinator of volunteers.
Federation members who have attended our national convention know that we
follow the custom of creating a system of talking signs to direct
individuals to various activities and locations. "Meeting room this way,"
is not an unusual expression at our meetings. I wondered how this would
work with World Blind Union delegates who are new to the experience. My
observation is that the delegates seemed to manage quite well.
      One event for every World Blind Union General Assembly is known as
the cultural night. The host committee has the opportunity to show off the
culture of the country where the meeting is taking place. How can the
culture of the United States be characterized? What elements synthesize the
American spirit? How can this be demonstrated? We decided to show five very
different things: the blind driver car, baseball, exploration of space, a
mechanical representation from a rodeo, and American music.
      The car that we built to be driven on the Daytona International
Speedway by Mark Riccobono combines two elements of American culture-the
inventive spirit of blind people and the cars that we as Americans love to
build. President Riccobono offered people rides in the vehicle using the
space available in the parking lot of the Rosen Centre hotel. He was the
chauffer. Although these rides were brief, they demonstrated part of the
ability of blind people. The blind-drivable car would not have been
developed without the work and the spirit of the National Federation of the
Blind.
      From the concept of the rodeo comes the mechanical bull. Invented in
the United States, the mechanical bull is a machine shaped like a bull
which can be made to behave as if it were an untamed creature prancing in
the arena for cowboys, or World Blind Union delegates, to ride. It
exemplifies the American West, the frontier, and something of the unusual
playfulness of the American spirit.
      Another part of the cultural night was a pitching station where
delegates could throw a ball tracked by a speed gun. The best pitchers in
baseball can cause the ball to travel at a hundred miles an hour. Delegates
could discover just how good their pitching arms were. In addition, they
could enjoy baseball food-hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn, and soft pretzels.
      For the space exploration element, we displayed artifacts used by
astronauts in the space program. An astronaut, Mike Foreman, spoke about
the space program. What must a person do to qualify to become an astronaut,
and what are the requirements for a spacewalk? How does life change when
there is no gravity, and how does it feel to be back on Earth? Our
astronaut posed for pictures with delegates from around the world and
answered many questions about the experiences of being in space.
      To cap off the evening we enjoyed music performed by our own members.
JP Williams, the singer-songwriter who has made a name for himself in
Nashville (sometimes joined by James Brown, our Tennessee president and a
member of the board of directors), offered musical selections from American
artists. Delegates responded enthusiastically to the songs showing musical
development in the United States over more than half a century. JP Williams
and James Brown concluded the evening with a rendition of their own
creations that had been performed for the National Federation of the
Blind's seventy-fifth anniversary.
      As chairman of the host committee it was not my responsibility to
plan the work of the World Blind Union. However, I observed a great deal of
it when my other duties did not call me away. I have attended all of the
meetings of the World Blind Union General Assembly beginning in 1988, and I
believe that the organization has changed from what it was in the early
days.
      The World Blind Union is a combination of organizations of the blind
and organizations for the blind. In 1984 the International Federation of
the Blind, an organization of blind people, and the World Council for the
Welfare of the Blind, an organization composed of representatives of
agencies for the blind, came together to form the World Blind Union. The
result of this combination was uneasiness and distrust. Some delegates
wanted the organization to be a representative one made up largely of blind
people, and some delegates wanted the organization to be a think tank
directing worldwide policy for the blind which would be made up of
professionals who would speak on behalf of blind people. This second group
wanted the union to become a coordinating body to direct resources from the
wealthier parts of the world to blind people in parts of our globe where
resources are scarce. In the early days, delegates fought fiercely over the
nature of the organization.
      In 2016 the arguments are largely a matter of history. The World
Blind Union adopted for the first time this year a policy requiring all of
its officers to be blind people. Although many sighted delegates remain
part of the organization, the WBU is becoming an organization of the blind.

      To serve as a representative body for blind people from around the
world, the World Blind Union must learn what blind people want. Then, it
must gain sufficient resources to exercise influence in places where
decision-making about blind people occurs. Finally, it must exercise the
authority of the organization with sufficient diplomacy that the use of the
organization's power does not damage its structure. This is a very delicate
challenge. However, if the World Blind Union has no power to make change,
it is irrelevant. If its members have no power to make change, it is also
likely that the World Blind Union will have no power to make change.
Consequently, the challenge for the World Blind Union is to help its
members to gain power, and to coordinate the use of that power to address
the most important priorities for the blind.
      More than a decade ago the World Blind Union attempted to influence
the United Nations to create a legal document, the United Nations
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). Dr. Fredric
Schroeder served as a representative from the World Blind Union to the
United Nations for the purpose of assisting in the negotiations. The head
of the World Blind Union delegation to the United Nations was its then-
president William Rowland. The Convention was adopted by the UN ten years
ago, and it has been ratified in more than 150 countries, but unfortunately
not in the United States. Although the World Blind Union is not as well
known around the world as it might be, this United Nations activity brought
its name forcefully to the attention of many international organizations.
      Another convention sponsored by the World Blind Union, the Marrakesh
Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who Are Blind,
Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled, has been negotiated through
the World Intellectual Property Organization, one segment of the United
Nations. This treaty, which eases legal restrictions on the transfer of
books for the blind from one nation to another, became effective in the
summer of 2016 just as we were gathering for the World Blind Union General
Assembly. This is the only treaty of which I have ever heard that deals
exclusively with the needs of the blind and print disabled. Once again Dr.
Schroeder was one of the negotiators along with Scott LaBarre. Maryanne
Diamond, who served as president of the World Blind Union during the
negotiations, was a fierce proponent of the rights of the blind. It was she
who persuaded the National Federation of the Blind to invite the United
States to support the treaty. Although this treaty has become effective for
the nations that have ratified it, the document is still in the negotiation
stage before the Senate of the United States.
      What happened at the 2016 General Assembly of the World Blind Union?
Delegates considered the governing structure of the world organization but
left most of the systems established previously in place. The one exception
is that all officers must now be blind people. Technology for the blind was
reviewed, but no new programs were created regarding technology. Recently a
group of organizations dealing with blindness caused a low-cost Braille
display to be produced, which is making its way onto the market. This
Braille display is not dramatically different from others currently
available, but it is cheaper. The cost difference may enhance the use of
Braille technology in places where it has previously been cost prohibitive
to use it. Programs of rehabilitation for the blind received attention.
Although new plans for rehabilitation did not appear to come from the
discussions, a number of countries where rehabilitation had not been
emphasized may find that there is sufficient interest to proceed with
teaching the blind. Exhibitors showed their products to delegates. Most of
the items on display are known to the people who have attended our national
convention, but some new products made their appearance-such things as a
digital Braille watch that can display the time and perhaps text messages
in Braille characters.
      Sometimes startling change comes not from a dramatic event but a
subtle alteration in the pattern. In this general assembly it seems to me
that the important news is that more blind people are taking more
independent action to produce more opportunity for themselves and their
peers in more places around the world than has ever previously occurred.
Programs for the blind get better when blind people help to shape them. The
World Blind Union is causing this to happen. This is good news for world
programs for the blind.
                                 ----------
    Reflections from a First-time Attendee and the Joy in Helping Host a
                               Meeting of the
                              World Blind Union
                               by Gary Wunder

      Often in my Federation career I have heard arguments against
localitis, the idea that your chapter is separate from the affiliate, and
the affiliate separate from the national body. Along with other Federation
leaders I have repeatedly made the case for one movement, one organization,
one team, but I have always drawn the line when it comes to crossing
international boundaries, being somewhat parochial in the view that I
should put my effort into the country in which I live-the United States of
America.
      When the NFB took on the challenge of hosting the 2016 World Blind
Union (WBU) General Assembly and the International Council for Education of
People with Visual Impairment (ICEVI), my first thoughts were, "I wonder
what this will cost? I wonder how much time it will take away from the
really important work we do? I wonder what benefit will accrue to us, and
will it really matter to the blind of the world where these organizations
meet?"
      I didn't say any of this; it felt negative, and I wanted to be open
to the possibility that we might give in ways that I had not considered and
that we might also receive in ways I could not fathom.
      So I sat through the initial planning, expecting that the Braille
Monitor would want to cover the event and that I would be invited along,
but not really thinking about a more active role.
      Any reservation I had about putting energy into the world meeting
evaporated when Debbie and I got to Orlando a day before the proceedings
began. Never having traveled abroad, I was swept up by all of the different
languages being spoken around me and all of the accents in which I heard
English being spoken. Some of the languages sounded beautiful to my ear,
and some of the accents gave me a new appreciation for our mother tongue.
It also led to some interesting discussions as we delighted in the various
flavors of English and the differences in meaning of phrases depending on
where the person who spoke was from. When giving directions to walk from
the hotel to a nearby restaurant, I might tell a person to go left down the
sidewalk and the restaurant is at the second light. Someone from New
Zealand would have said to go left down the footpath; someone from Britain
would have said to go down the pavement; and someone from South Africa
would have said to go left down the pavement, and the restaurant was at the
second robot. Martine Able, who is from South Africa, told me about the
first time she went for a walk in Auckland (New Zealand), and she asked a
passerby how many robots she would have to cross over to find a particular
shop. The passerby just disappeared on her, obviously thinking her a little
crazy (or as the Brits might say, a little barmy.)
      While to Americans tea is a hot beverage or perhaps a quick break to
sit and chat over that liquid delight, that is not the case in other
countries. In New Zealand and Britain, tea is more of an early evening
meal. In South Africa, tea is more of an afternoon snack. But supper, which
in America is generally agreed upon as the large evening meal, in New
Zealand is a snack meal closer to bedtime, while South Africa agrees with
us Americans. Though there were others, some highly amusing, and even
suggestive, we'll leave this topic for another time.
      As the host, the NFB was expected to provide volunteers to assist the
delegates and others who attended. This point was emphasized repeatedly,
the concern being that the delegates would need help and would want it
promptly. Traditionally this has meant providing plenty of sighted
volunteers. While some of these were on hand, blind Federationists did the
vast majority of the guiding, and the results were interesting. At this
conference when the blind led the blind we did not fall into a ditch but
startled and eventually motivated those we guided. When people asked for a
guide, we provided them with a human guide. When they heard a cane and
realized it was attached to the arm they were following, some would stop
and ask what we were doing. We said we were acting as their human guide,
and they made it clear that they had expected someone with sight. But,
interestingly, no one hesitated for long when we explained that we knew the
layout of the hotel and could get them where they wanted to go. By the time
the meetings got into full swing, it was not uncommon to see delegates
using their canes, sometimes with us as human guides and sometimes
declining our help by proudly stating, "I can do this myself, but thank
you." Hurray!
      Not only were delegates impressed by their human guides and what they
learned to do for themselves, but they loved the talking signs, the folks
we call marshals at our national conventions. Our traditional marshals were
not only talking signs but friendly hosts inviting delegates to meetings.
"Welcome to the meeting of the general assembly; step right this way."
"Good morning, and welcome to the first session of the World Blind Union
Joint Assembly." Those who passed by couldn't just take the advice and move
into the room. Almost everyone shouted out a thank you or moved to the side
to tell us how exciting they found the concept of talking human signs.
After the first day we realized we could have fun with this and got people
who stopped to join us in the call out. The twist was that we got them to
do this in their language. They enjoyed the celebrity, the participation in
our project, and the reaction they heard as those filing into the room were
even more amazed to hear greetings in their language. Never has it been so
much fun to be a marshal or a biological talking sign.
      One of the highlights in observing the general assembly was in seeing
the recognition accorded to our leaders. Immediate Past President Maurer's
long service was clearly evident in the respect shown him by the delegates
and officers of the WBU. The respect for the President of the National
Federation of the Blind was similarly evident in the attention paid his
remarks and the enthusiastic response to them. The contribution Mary Ellen
Jernigan has made was acknowledged when the members of the general assembly
unanimously voted to accept her as a lifetime member of the organization,
an honor which is recognized with special seating in the same way
designated areas are provided for the delegates from each country. When I
think about the major struggles we face in maintaining our organization
such as recruiting members, raising funds, and coming up with innovative
programs, I will now view these challenges in a new light. Civil War is a
reality in far too many countries, and blind people suffer
disproportionately. We heard from service providers who risked their lives
to go where blind people were; who were called upon by the rebel forces to
account for why they, as government representatives, were found in rebel
territory; and who were called upon when arriving back home to demonstrate
their loyalty to the government by justifying why they would provide
services to the rebels.
      Organizing a chapter is hard work, but what we do is nothing compared
with what must occur in some countries to make this happen. Many have
little in the way of public transportation. Sometimes the requirement to
conduct a meeting in more than one language is a significant obstacle.
Cultural differences sometimes make communication between different
provinces exceedingly difficult. The fact that many countries who came to
the World Blind Union even have organizations of the blind is a testament
to the toughness of blind men and women who want better for themselves and
the inspiration they draw from one another in bringing about a better
tomorrow. The National Federation of the Blind wanted to help the World
Blind Union by being the host of its 2016 General Assembly, but as is the
case so many times when we give, we often are the beneficiary of treasured
experiences we never envisioned. This was my experience, and I thank the
National Federation of the Blind and the World Blind Union for letting me
be a part.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Karen Keninger]
                            My Leadership Journey
                              by Karen Keninger

      From the Editor: On Monday, August 24, 2016, the World Blind Union
held a session on leadership chaired by Maryanne Diamond, former president
of the World Blind Union. Leaders from countries around the world offered
perspectives on the exercise of leadership, and the director of the
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped from the
United States was one of the presenters. Here is what she said:

      Thank you, Maryanne, and welcome, all of you. I know that we have a
lot of seasoned leaders in this group, so I hope that I don't bore you. I'm
going to tell you about my own leadership journey, and perhaps some of it
will resonate with some of you seasoned leaders, and for some of you who
are working on that, maybe you'll get a kernel or two of something useful.
      My journey began many years ago, and it was a small thing, really. My
little daughter came home from catechism class with a picture of a chicken.
I said, "What did you learn? Why did you draw a chicken?" She had no idea.
I wanted to complain: she isn't learning anything. Then I realized I had no
idea what they were really doing. I figured out that if I wanted to have
input into the program, I'd better plan to do the work. So I signed up to
teach. It was really a lot of work: I had to get lesson plans in Braille,
had to plan the lessons, and then I had to manage a room full of rowdy nine-
year-olds. But by doing that I had influence over the program-they really
weren't doing such a bad job after all. But the lesson that I learned was
that if I wanted to influence the outcome of the program, I had to jump in
and work at it, study it, get to know it, understand it, understand the
potentials and the constraints, and find solutions to problems. I needed to
develop opinions based on facts and the situation that was there.
      I learned that I could use the unique knowledge that I had as a blind
person, as a woman, as a mother, as a teacher, and the unique combination
of my own gifts to influence the outcomes. To do the work effectively I had
to hone my blindness skills. Now I have been blind since I was a small
child, and I'm a lifelong Braille reader, and my experience has taught me
that personal literacy is paramount to my success as a blind leader. When
I'm writing, for instance, it's not good enough to be almost right. I don't
want people saying, "Well that's pretty good for a blind person." I want
people to say, "That's pretty good." Literacy is not a luxury for me.
Listening only is not enough for me, either. I use Braille just the way
sighted people use print: take notes in Braille on my notetaker, on my
Perkins Brailler, and on my slate and stylus. I read them back in Braille;
I search them on my notetaker; I flag them, I edit them; I use a
combination of everything I can get my hands on to compensate for my
inability to read print. I use the computer with speech, I use recorded
books, I use recorded magazines, but I also use Braille and strongly
believe that without the literacy Braille provides for me, I would be less
able to do my job. I need to write notes and read them back; I need to
write and edit documents, including the spelling, the punctuation, the
paragraphing, as well as all the content; I need to read and manipulate
numbers on spreadsheets for budgets; I need them in Braille. So on my desk
you will find a Perkins Brailler, a slate and stylus, a notetaker, and a
computer with a Braille display.
      I am very fortunate to have all these devices, but the second part of
that is the learning and practicing using them day in and day out so I can
be efficient to do my work. It's a lot more work to learn to use a screen
reader and be efficient with it than it is to learn to point and click a
mouse. But it's critical these days to getting the job done.
      Mobility was another thing that I had to take seriously. I've used a
dog guide since I was sixteen, and for years that was sufficient. But I
discovered-I'm a little slow-that some things are better done with a dog,
but some things are better done with a cane, and some things are better
done with a sighted guide. It depends on the situation. My preference is to
be independent. My choice is to have both the dog and the cane at my
disposal so that I can have the most efficient mode for the moment. Aside
from the practicalities of good, independent travel, I believe that it
helps in maintaining my image as a competent and professional colleague.
      Jumping in and contributing at some level was where I started, honing
my skills along the way. That got me into a job at a rehabilitation agency.
And then came another big lesson: I was given the task of drafting a new
strategic plan for the agency. Oh, I knew what I was doing. I knew the
program. I drafted a beautiful, logical, may I say perfect strategic plan.
And I delivered it complete and proud. And they rejected it out of hand.
Why? Because I did not get buy-in from the stakeholders at the beginning
and throughout the process. Yeah, it was pretty humiliating to have my work
rejected so completely, and I had to start over. But this time, on the
advice of my boss, I gathered input from everyone first. I learned that
leadership doesn't happen in a vacuum. I couldn't lead unless I could
convince others to follow. And to do that, I learned that I had to spend
the time and the patience-and it took patience to listen, to gather input,
and to incorporate that input into the project. And-surprise, surprise-I
discovered that they had a lot of ideas I hadn't thought of. When people
felt like their concerns were addressed, they were much more willing to
follow my lead on the project.
      The second draft was accepted. It contained other people's ideas
besides my own, but because I drafted it, I was able to define the
foundation of the plan, and my foundation remained through subsequent
iterations.
      Leadership involves risks. Sometimes projects fail, and when they do,
leaders take the responsibility. I spearheaded a big project several years
ago to develop a new case management system in our agency. The project
failed abysmally. I could give you a long list of reasons why it failed and
a long list of lessons learned, but the point is that it failed, and I had
the lead responsibility. The only thing I could do was pick up the pieces
and move forward, taking what I had learned and implementing them into the
next project. I've worked hard, taken chances, and, perhaps most
importantly, I've learned from my mistakes. Today I am in a leadership
position at the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped. I'm at the national level of a program affecting the lives of
hundreds of thousands of people in the United States.
      Leadership presumes that you know where you are going, and people
will follow you if the goal makes sense. I have a vision for my program, I
have articulated that vision clearly (I think) and consistently for the
past four years. Part of that vision includes converting our Braille
program from hardcopy to electronic, providing refreshable Braille devices
and electronic Braille books and magazines, and hardcopy only on demand.
This is a big change for my program, but it is my vision based on my
knowledge and experience. Four years ago when I came to the National
Library Service and articulated that vision for the first time, it was a
long way off. I knew it would not be possible to achieve unless several
things happened and that I had a role in making those things happen. I
needed a change to our governing laws. To get that to happen I needed the
support of the Library of Congress upper management to include it in their
legislative requests. To get that to happen, I had to sell the value of
Braille literacy to a completely uninformed audience. I took every chance
that I could to do that, and succeeded.
      Meanwhile, we had to establish the need from the perspective of the
stakeholders. So we worked with Perkins to organize a Braille summit to
solicit feedback and ideas on all aspects of Braille. The top
recommendation coming out of that summit-as I sort of hoped it would be-was
making refreshable Braille devices available to everyone. I also needed to
enlist the support of the consumer organizations, because Congress needed
to know that this was an important thing to all blind people.
      Another thing that needed to happen was a new technology. We couldn't
even consider the possibility of providing refreshable Braille displays at
the current prices.
      I made my vision known as widely as possible, and perhaps that helped
to leverage the resources needed to develop a new technology. That
technology is soon to be on the market as a result of the Transforming
Braille Group, which is an international effort led by Kevin Carey. It's
going to be on the market at affordable prices. Our legislation has changed
as of this summer, and now we have the challenge of implementing the
program. The vision is clear, and we're closer to reality now. Getting the
support of the stakeholders has been critical, and beating the drum with a
clear goal helps people to get behind it.
      Perhaps the hardest lesson I've learned is that I can't do it alone.
I have learned that lesson many times over the years, and I keep relearning
it. To bring this Braille project along I needed a whole constellation of
supporters. I needed the National Federation of the Blind, the American
Council of the Blind, the Library of Congress, and the International
Transforming Braille Group, the educators, the Braille readers, the Braille
technology experts, and everyone else interested in literacy for blind
people around the world. I can't do it alone, but I can do my part to make
it happen.
      Leading takes practice and hard work. Like everything else that's
worthwhile, the rewards are there, but so are the risks and the
responsibilities. I have found as a blind person that a full array of
alternative techniques is critical to my success because no one thing or
one way is the best way all the time.
      I have learned to take into account the opinions of others and to
value and promote the skills of others to get what I want done. But I think
the most important thing that I have learned is that my dreams, my goals,
and my aspirations are as important as anyone else's. They are valid, and
they are achievable. Your dreams, your visions for a better future are just
as valid as anyone else's, too. If we each do our part and we all work
together, we can make them all come true.
      I will end with one of my favorite quotes from Margaret Mead, an
anthropologist of some repute. She said, and I echo, "Never doubt that a
small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed,
it's the only thing that ever has." Thank you.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Fredric K. Schroeder]
                 Nurture the Ability, Sustain the Confidence
                           by Fredric K. Schroeder

      From the Editor: Many presentations that make it into this magazine
are crafted for delivery and represent hours of preparation, but one
hallmark of a good leader is to think on his feet and to be able to
articulate the things he believes in when called on. Combining the head and
the heart and sending their messages to others is a talent Fred Schroeder
has in abundance, and his ability served all of those attending the meeting
of the WBU when the absence of a previously-scheduled speaker due to
illness meant the assembly needed significant and moving remarks. Dr.
Schroeder was unexpectedly called upon to do this, and here is how his
impromptu presentation was introduced by President Arnt Holte:

      You'll see in the program that our last speaker is Bryan Bashin from
Lighthouse for the Blind in San Francisco. Unfortunately Bryan is unable to
be with us, so at no notice I've invited someone else to take his place,
and that's our incoming president, Fred Schroeder. Fred has also a lifetime
of leadership in very different roles, and I'm sure much to share with us.
Thank you, Fred, for taking up this spot so willingly-or unwillingly.

      Fred Schroeder: Good afternoon. It is a real pleasure to be here with
you this afternoon. Many of the remarks that you have heard resonate with
my own story. I want to begin by saying that, when we look at the
challenges facing blind people, it is very easy to catalog the challenges
in terms of the mechanics. In other words, difficulty getting access to a
good education, difficulty in getting access to employment, even at very
entry levels. But those lack of opportunities in many respects are
symptomatic of the greater problem that we face, and that is low
expectations. Society views us as broken people. They don't harbor ill-will
toward us, but they see us as very damaged, as broken people-people who are
very limited in the ability to carry out even the most basic day-to-day
activities. And so with that as the underlying assumptions, opportunities
are limited.
      I lost most of my vision when I was seven years old, and I went
through public school in the United States without any special education
support, but more tragically, no blind role models. And all I remember
about my childhood as a blind person was being told what I could not do.
Since I didn't see well enough to read print, I was excused from all
reading, writing, and math in the curriculum. Now, if you think about your
education, if you take reading, writing, and math out of the education,
there is precious little left. So I had a terrible education, a very
incomplete education. However, one thing I did learn: I learned to feel
inferior.
      When I was in tenth grade, I had to take a biology class. Part of
that biology class involved a lab experiment: dissecting a frog. The way
the exercise was structured is that the class was divided into groups of
two. And the dissection was divided up into two parts, and so when the
dissection would begin, one student would do the first half of the
dissection while the other student recorded what was being discovered, and
midway through they would switch roles so that both students got the
opportunity to participate in the dissection. Well in my class we were
divided into groups of two except there was a group that had three people
in it, that was my group. And that meant that I sat behind the other two
students while they did the experiment. So I did not learn anything about
dissecting a frog. Now you might think, so what? How important is it to
dissect a frog? But what I did learn is a feeling of inferiority. I assumed
that I could not do what others were able to do, and that I could not do it
because of blindness.
      I lost all of my vision when I was sixteen, and I was very fortunate
because I went to an adult rehabilitation center in California, and there I
learned the techniques that I would need to be able to function as a blind
person. Karen Keninger spoke about these skills, the blindness skills, the
ability to read and write Braille, the ability to travel independently
using a white cane, the ability to cook and to clean your house and take
care of your day-to-day needs. But the most fortunate part was I met other
blind people. As many of you know, for all of my adult life I have been
actively involved in a consumer organization in the United States, the host
organization for this general assembly, the National Federation of the
Blind. And it was through the Federation that I began to recognize that the
limitations that I thought were because of blindness were socially-
constructed limitations. In other words they were limitations that came
from low expectations, and I had internalized those low expectations.
      A friend of mine-well, the day I met him, he was involved in some
legislative work, and he wanted me to contact him the next week, so he
said, "Let me give you my telephone number, I want you to call me next
week." And I said, "I have no way of writing down your telephone number."
And he said, "Don't you know how to read Braille?" I had learned Braille, I
said yes. He said, "Do you know how to use a slate and stylus?" I said,
"Yes, but I don't have one with me." He said, "If you're sighted, you don't
need to carry a pen, because there are sighted people everywhere, and
somebody will have a pen. But if you're blind, you have to carry a slate
and stylus because if you don't, the odds that all the sighted people
around you will have slates and styluses are pretty low." So, by the way,
to this day I carry a slate and stylus in my bag. What was he doing? What
he was doing, in a gentle way, was saying quit acting helpless. Quit
assuming that you cannot do things because of blindness.
      That support system was absolutely critical in shaping my career
goals. I wanted to be a teacher of blind children, so I went through my
university training and did well. I began to see that what was limiting so
many of us was the consequence of stereotypes or misunderstanding about
blindness, more so than the functional aspect of blindness. I graduated
with my master's degree in 1978-some of you weren't born in 1978. At that
time in the US blind children were being educated in integrated schools,
not all blind children, but the move was very strong toward integrated
education. And many of the school systems were looking for teachers who
could teach the academic subjects, but who also could teach orientation and
mobility. In other words, a school system might only have three or four
blind children, and they didn't want to hire a teacher to teach academics
and then hire an orientation and mobility specialist. So many of the
students in my graduate program were getting certified to teach orientation
and mobility along with their regular teacher certification. Well, I wanted
a job, and I thought that would prepare me best for a job. But at that time
in the United States the university training programs did not accept blind
people to learn to be orientation and mobility instructors. Well, it's a
very long story, but the key part that I want to bring up this afternoon is
that what allowed me-or gave the confidence, the resolve-to continue on and
to earn my degree in orientation and mobility when by and large the
profession was very much against me was the faith that other blind people
had in me. Blind people believed in me. Blind people encouraged me. They
told me that what I was doing was reasonable, that we needed to expand the
kinds of jobs that blind people could do, and that sustained me. I was
young, I was twenty-one years old; I had an entire profession thinking that
I was some sort of troublemaker, that I was being unrealistic, that I would
be putting my students in danger. I don't say this to criticize or condemn
any of the people who opposed my training. But what allowed me to sustain
was the support of other blind people. As we look at leadership, we need to
find opportunities to help sustain other blind people, to help encourage
other blind people. Sometimes it's through money, but it's not all about
resources. It's about encouragement and belief.
      I went on into special education. I faced discrimination, as do most
blind people in trying to find employment. At the time I applied for
teaching jobs, there was a huge nationwide shortage of qualified teachers
of blind children. School districts would come to the university and try to
recruit people before they had graduated so that they would have contracts
and be committed to going to work at that particular school system upon
graduation. Every single student-they were sighted-every student in my
program had multiple job offers. I had no job offers. I applied for over
thirty teaching jobs and received not a single job offer. Not because I
wasn't qualified, but simply because of low expectations.
      My career began with a blind person who ran an agency for the blind,
a long-term leader in our National Federation of the Blind, and he hired
me. Well subsequent to that, I've had other jobs. But when I moved to
Washington in 1994, I moved to work for President Bill Clinton. My job was
to head up an agency called the Rehabilitation Services Administration, the
agency that provides the bulk of the funding for employment training for
adults with disabilities, not just blind people, but adults with
disabilities throughout the country. While I was there we were in the
process of trying to recruit someone for a job, and there was a blind woman
who came to my attention. She had a law degree, had done very well in law
school, but, like so many other blind people, when she finished law school,
she could not find a job. At the time that I was recruiting for this
position, she had been out of work at least six or eight years, maybe ten
years since graduating from law school. So was she the most qualified
candidate? No. There were other candidates who were applying who had very
long resumis, lots of work experience, work experience directly related to
the function of the job. But I hired her anyway. Now did I do that because
I felt sorry for her? No. She had the skill, she had shown that she could
compete and do the kind of work that I needed to have her do; it was
analytical work, and she had a law degree with very good grades. Part of
expanding leadership is helping others-other blind people-take that step
into employment.
      Since the time I left the government, this young woman has been
promoted twice. The federal government has a system that goes from what
they call GS1 to GS15, with fifteen being the highest. She is now at the
GS15 level, and one of the most respected, competent people in that agency.
She had the ability, but she did not have the opportunity. We have to help
one another gain access to jobs that will develop blind people's leadership
potential.
      So in closing, I would say again: if blind people are willing to go
into leadership positions, you have to be prepared, you need those good
blindness skills that Karen spoke about. You need to have the right kind of
preparation, training in whatever skill area, or if it's academic
qualifications, you need to have those credentials. But also you need to
have in your own mind, heart, and spirit the belief that you are just as
worthy and just as capable as anyone else. And what sustains that, what
nourishes that, is the support of other blind people. This is something
each of us in this room can do, whether we have resources or no resources;
we can find and encourage blind people, help support them, to unlock not
only their own potential, but by so doing to expand opportunities for blind
people everywhere. That is a quick summary of my story, and of course there
are so many pieces that are left out-and I don't really mean to end on a
negative note, but I will tell you this: when I was working for President
Clinton, this was a position appointed by the president, and it required
confirmation by the Senate of the United States. I was on an airplane one
time, and I was talking to a stranger in the seat next to me, and he asked,
"What do you do?"
      I said, "Well, I run a federal agency." He was absolutely astounded.
      He said, "What does the agency do?"
      I said, "We provide funds for job training for people with
disabilities."
      He said, "Oh, I understand." He didn't say it, but I'm sure what went
through his mind is, "Oh, not a real job, a disabled job, oh I see how a
blind person could do that, yes." We get marginalized. I don't say that
with bitterness or with anger, but I think it is a reality, and it is a big
part of our challenge around the world: To help nurture the ability in
blind people; to sustain their confidence and encourage them; and, to the
degree that we control hiring opportunities, to actively look for blind
people-not as tokens, not just putting some unqualified person in just to
have filled the slot with a blind person, but looking for people who may
not have the long resumi because of the discrimination they have faced, but
they have the skills, and they have the drive, and they have the ability.
Thank you, Madame Chair.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Ron McCallum]
                 Leadership: Perspectives from Ron McCallum
                               by Ron McCallum

      From the Editor: There is no better way to introduce this speaker to
an American audience than his Wikipedia entry: "Ronald Clive 'Ron' McCallum
AO [Order of Australia] is an Australian legal academic. He is an expert in
labor law and has served as a professor and dean of law at the University
of Sydney. He is the first totally blind person to be appointed to a full
professorship in any subject at any university in Australia or New Zealand,
as well as the first to become a Dean of Law in these countries. He chairs
the United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in
Geneva." He spoke on Monday afternoon on the topic of leadership. Here is
what he had to say:

      Well, I know Charles is here, so hello, Charles. Hello, everyone.
Hello to those listening on ACB Radio, and I'll let you in on a little
secret: some of the delegates are listening to this on their iPhones as
they sit by the pool [laughter]. Can I say, guys, stop splashing and
concentrate.
      I'm a little diffident about speaking about myself, but I have to say
a few introductory words; then I'll say something about leadership in two
forms, being dean of a law school, and chairing a United Nations committee,
both taking different skills. Then I want to conclude by asking why are
there not more blind people as leaders, and why not more blind women?
      I was born a long time ago, I think I'm perhaps the third-oldest
person here, perhaps not as old as Lord Low or Euclid, but getting there. I
was born in 1948 in Melbourne, Australia. I'm a retrolental fibroplasia
child, that is, too much oxygen destroyed my vision. I went to blind
schools and to an ordinary high school, and then I studied law both in
Australia and in Canada as a post-graduate student, where I got great help
from the CNIB-I have a great soft spot for the CNIB. It was the first time
I'd come across a truly national blind organization.
      I ended up being an academic in Australia. My specialty was and still
is labor relations law. In 1993 I found, to my great surprise, that I
happened to be the first totally blind person at any Australian or New
Zealand university to be appointed to a full professorship in law
[applause]-oh no, don't please. From 2002 until 2007 I was dean of the
University of Sydney Law School, one of the two oldest law schools in the
country, more than 150 years old. Then in 2009 I became an inaugural member
of the United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities,
which monitors the CRPD [Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities], and my friends are still there. I finished my mandate in
December 2014. I chaired the committee from February 2010 to April 2013,
when my successor-who we've just heard from, Maria Soledad Cisternas, took
over. I also had the honor between 2011 and 2012 of chairing all of the
meetings of the nine chairs of the nine human rights committees of the
entire United Nations, and that was perhaps the highest and most complex
thing I've ever done at a time of treaty body reform.
      Being a dean of a law school is rather different from being a chair
of a UN committee, and therefore I want to look at them separately and look
at some of the techniques I used. The first thing is, if you're going to be
dean of an academic institution-or any institution, for that matter-you
need to be able to do the jobs that you're asking people to do. No point in
being a leader and saying, well I can't do this, I can't do that. You can't
do everything. But I had been a relatively successful labor relations
lawyer; I'd also practiced law as a special counsel in the law firm of
Ashurst, which goes around the world now. So I was able to do the jobs of
teaching, researching, and practice that I wanted my staff to do when
teaching young women and men to be lawyers.
      Second important thing is-I know it's a phrase often used-deep
listening. Every leader needs to be able to listen to every person on their
staff. How do I work out what people are made of if I can't see their
faces? Well I think we blind people are pretty good at that. I follow one
of my great heroes, Jacques Lusseyran, who died in 1971. He was a blind
leader in the French Resistance who vetted people by using the techniques I
have tried to learn: by their voices, by their breathing, what they say,
and what they don't say. And I've found it very easy to get a rapport with
people. My labor relations training taught me the value of conciliation and
putting myself in the shoes of the other person.
      The second great assistance was technology. Email made my life so
much easier. If I had been dean of a law school in the 1980s when there was
no email, I would have been confronted by bombastic, handwritten notes from
my staff! I would have had to find someone to read them. But now, for good
or for ill, they emailed, and I could read them instantly. I had so many
folders I could find the latest email from any of the hundred staff in less
than a minute. I learned when it was important to email and when it was
important not to. I had one staff member who was concerned about an issue
of leave. So I said, "Instead of having email trench warfare, perhaps we
could meet?"
      "Well, Ron," he said, "I like to copy people so they'll know how
unreasonable you are."
      I said, "Well, why don't we meet, and after the meeting you can write
to your friends, copy me, and confirm my unreasonableness." We settled it
(talking) within sixty seconds.
      All organizations these days, for good or for ill-I think some ways
for ill-run on finances, and the law school is no different. My budget was
quite small; I think it was only about 17 million, part of a university
budget. I worked very hard with Excel spreadsheets in learning the
finances. Sometimes I would bring in the head of finance with a-what do you
call it, a text tape recorder? Not a tape recorder, you know what I mean, a
text recorder-and I would go through some of the key financial systems. I
had arguments with the university central people about making finance
websites accessible. One of the problems I still find when I talk to people
about making websites accessible is they say, "Oh, yes, yes yes yes-I have
no idea what it means," have you ever struck that? But I kept the law
school in the black for five of my five years and got commendations from
the president of the university, not an easy thing to do. I think it took
up more of my time, but it taught me the value of financial literacy, and I
think so many of we blind going into leader positions ought to think about
learning financial literacy.
      I had my ups and downs. My wife, who is here today, Professor Mary
Crock-who has vision-she and I had been married then for twenty years, and
she was a member of the staff. On occasions in academic trench warfare some
of my colleagues would sort of tip a bucket over her, knowing I couldn't
get at them for that, and that made life a bit complicated. But
nevertheless we both stood firm and got through it. It was a great
advantage having Mary in the building, even though I think my time as five
years of deanship made her "the invisible person." Now I'm a professor
emeritus, which means a has-been. I'm not about, and Mary is the only
fulltime professor in the family, as she will tell you.
      It was a relatively successful time: I began building the new law
building which now stands wonderfully, finished by my successor; I achieved
the only law school exchange-staff and students-with the Harvard Law School
of any Australian university law school; we won three Rhodes Scholarships,
which has never been done before or since; and we won the world
championship of mooting in 2007 in the Jessup Moot [court competition]. I
was very honored to play that role.
      Chairing a United Nations committee takes different skills. There
are, on the committee, eighteen persons from all around the world who are
all elected. I couldn't fire them! And they had just as much right as I
had; we were equals. I never applied to be chair-for that matter I never
applied to be dean; the president asked me; I wasn't that interested at the
time. I never applied to be chair, and at the second meeting, where there
was discussion and no one could agree, a group of my colleagues came to me
and said, "Look, we think you're the only person we could agree upon."
      Why? I've never been employed by a disability agency. I've always
worked in the public and in the private sectors. I'm not in the disability
industry per se; I was not seeking to enhance my career by being chair. It
wasn't going to affect my career one way or the other.
      What I brought was being a lawyer; I saw my job as getting the
business done and following the rules. That's what I did for three years.
Because we were all equals and I had no more power than anyone else, you
really needed to be deep listening and to recognize that people have
different backgrounds and different thoughts. The notion of conflict of
interests, which is taken very strictly by Anglo-Saxons, has a totally
different meaning in Africa, Latin America, and in the Middle East. I don't
know that my view of conflict of interest is any better or any worse than
the other views. But my job was to coalesce them together.
      When chairing the nine human rights treaty-body chair meetings, that
was the first time some of these senior people had run into a senior
disabled person, and that was quite extraordinary because we were doing, if
you like, reform of the treaty-body system.
      Well, why aren't there more blind leaders? Well I think the first
point to note is that our level of employment is not high-certainly in
Australia and Canada, the two countries I'm familiar with. We need to
increase education levels, and we need to increase employment, and we need
to increase the confidence of we blind people, and we need to have more
role models out there to show how it can be done. My role models were
Rupert Cross, a blind person who taught law at Oxford in the 50s and 60s.
I'm a bit diffident in saying this, but after teaching labor law for forty-
four years, there are now three blind persons at three different
universities who are university lecturers in labor law. I wish they'd go to
property law or criminal law; it's my field! [laughter, applause] But
nevertheless it shows the value of role models.
      Finally, I think we need to establish courses to help blind people
with leadership, to help them with deep listening, and to train them with
financial literacy. I'm often told: blind people aren't financially
literate. I say, "Well we could train them."
      It's been a great honor for me to speak here today, particularly next
to my close friend Maryanne Diamond, who I went to school with. Can I say
that, as a teenager, she was just as feisty as she is today. Bless you all,
thank you.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Gary Wunder]
Digital Accessibility: Changes for the Good, and Challenges for the Present
and Future
                               by Gary Wunder

      Introduction by Immediate Past President Maurer: I wanted to offer
comment about this article because I was present when these remarks were
delivered, and I thought they were worth hearing. Gary Wunder made a
presentation to the World Blind Union General Assembly in August of 2016
which I felt showed a great deal of thought. The World Blind Union has had
a technology committee for many years, and the organization considers
technology in its meetings occasionally. However the program of the
organization is not as robust as it might be. The suggestions in the
address by Gary Wunder are worth consideration.
      Members of the National Federation of the Blind know Gary Wunder as
the editor of the Braille Monitor. However, he also has other roles. He is
trained in computer technology. He served as a developer of computer
programming for a university hospital in Missouri. He has been the
chairperson of the web developers group within the National Federation of
the Blind. He has been president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Missouri for decades. He has been a member of the board of directors of the
National Federation of the Blind. He has served as a trusted advisor to the
President of the National Federation of the Blind with regard to technology
and internal political matters. He has both courage and generosity. With
all of this, he is a gentle man and a gentleman.
      At the World Blind Union General Assembly the panel discussion
regarding technology included Gary Wunder's presentation. The digital
divide is at least as great for the blind of the world as it is for anybody
else and perhaps greater. The speed at which technology is being created
that requires vision is increasing. The danger is evident. What the future
will bring is yet to be known. How can the problem be addressed? Gary
Wunder offers a notable answer. I hope that the World Blind Union takes
action in the direction he suggests. Here is what he said:

      In my lifetime I have known the deprivation one feels when
information is presented on white paper that is blank to the touch; the joy
of knowing there is a way for me to read using my fingers; the
discouragement in learning that the further along I got in school, the less
likely it would be that my teachers could read my Braille; the exhilaration
when realizing that more and more of the world's information was being born
digitally or could easily be converted to this format; and the absolute
exasperation when learning that this digital information could be created
in such a way that it would be every bit as inaccessible as the white paper
that so frustratingly kept its secrets.
      Digitization makes it easier not only to read but to write. Now a
first draft written on a computer is revised and refined; material is
inserted, deleted, or moved, a process far easier than when, in my school
days, writing a second draft or a final paper meant completely retyping it
and hoping not to introduce new mistakes.
      Digitization would mean that less Braille had to be transcribed by
hand. Others were using digital means to create and distribute their work.
Getting and reading this digitally born material should bring about
uncharted opportunities for information. Add to this the increasing
affordability and accuracy of technology that could take print from the
page and make it digital, and for a time I thought that one of the major
problems of blindness had been solved. Soon our organizations could turn
their full attention to other things, the written word having been made
universally available to all.
      Well the bright future that would change our organizational
priorities hasn't quite come to pass. Computers have become more powerful,
but the text-based systems that initially were used to operate these
marvels have given way to easier-to-use visual techniques. It is easier for
a sighted person to find and point at a picture than it is for her to
remember the name of a command. Navigating a screen where choices are
listed is easier than remembering all of the parameters to make the program
do what one wants. Pictures are a part of the real world for the sighted,
so it should be no surprise that pictures have come to be a vital part of
the virtual world one sees while at his computer screen.
      Now the problem isn't pictures on computer screens or pointing and
clicking to make things happen. These are good things that make the
computer a friendlier device for the vast majority of the population. The
problem is that pictures or icons too often replace words, and the mouse
too often replaces keyboard alternatives. Blind people are excluded when
only visual alternatives are considered in the design of technology. In
some of this technology, the keyboard is useless in making a program work,
and some programs are so visual that current screen-reading technology
can't tell that buttons, checkboxes, combo boxes, and other controls even
appear on the screen.
      Like the physical world, equality in the digital world requires that
blind people express our needs, participate in figuring out how to meet
them, and become sufficiently active and politically sophisticated enough
to have them addressed. In the National Federation of the Blind this has
meant being active on four fronts: evaluating existing technology and
participating in research and development to make it better; supporting and
leaning on the assistive technology companies; prodding, pressuring, and
eventually working with mainstream technology developers to include
accessibility in their products; and asking government to help with
regulations to clarify that the law of the land demands access to the
digital world in the same way it does the physical one. Each of these tasks
is incredibly difficult, but we are making progress. Providing meaningful
comments about how to get the access we need requires people who understand
how computers and screen readers work. Assistive technology developers are
reluctant to share how they get the information they use or how they plan
to get it in the future. Too often they cling to techniques that have
worked in the past but which are now being made obsolete by the
requirements of companies for greater security and stability. Mainstream
companies too often see us as a minor and even an insignificant part of
their customer base. They tend to see accessibility as a nice thing to do,
but not if it gets in the way of a new or improved product that contains a
feature they believe will make them outshine their competitors.
      Eventually we turn to government, the entity that should represent
us, not just because we are full-fledged citizens but because not having
access leads to idleness, unemployment, and a greater burden on taxpayers.
But government is reluctant to act; it fears that looking out for the blind
may stifle innovation, fears being regarded as less friendly to business,
and shrinks at the charge that it wishes to create new regulations, the
very words being linked in much of the public's mind with an overly
intrusive regime.
      Four challenges-four big challenges-but we accept and embrace them
because to do otherwise would be to accept defeat, to abandon our journey
toward first-class citizenship, and to forsake our dream of participating
in society on equal terms with the sighted.
      So, how are we doing? You can see for yourselves that we have in this
gathering from around the world knowledgeable people who understand the
complexity of the computers we need to access, and they are offering input
and help to the developers of assistive technology and working actively
with mainstream providers so that many of the devices coming to market
today that involve reading and writing are accessible out of the box. Is
the change as fast as we would like it to be? No. Do companies sometimes
release things that are inaccessible? Yes they do. But our progress is
measurable, our opportunities are increasing, and more and more we are
coming to be seen as worthwhile partners who, in meeting our needs, help
mainstream businesses build products that more fully meet the needs of the
diverse populations they wish to serve.
      Thus far I've been talking about technology used in reading and
writing, but other digital technology is found all around us, and some of
it, if not made accessible, will truly be handicapping. Let's start in the
home. Today's equipment for cooking and cleaning is becoming ever more
digital. One seldom finds a stove or oven with rotatable knobs that can
easily be labeled. Instead we find buttons that must be seen to be pressed,
menus that must be seen to be navigated, and no means of nonvisual output
that can be used to determine the temperature of our oven or the remaining
time on its timer. The washing machine poses the same problem. How do we
specify the size of the load; whether we want hot, warm, or cold water;
whether the load is delicate or requires intense washing? The options are
there, but all require vision. Many do not have feelable buttons that can
be memorized and pressed with confidence that one won't ruin the clothes in
the machine.
      Unlike communication, there are no laws in our country pushing
industry to build accessible home appliances. Without laws we are hard-
pressed to exert the same pressure that has worked with some success in the
information industry. There is, of course, a solid moral argument to be
made, but how does one convince a company that morality deserves a place on
a statement in which the bottom line is a number representing the
percentage of profit and loss? Unless we make headway on accessible home
appliances, we face the very real prospect that a fully capable auto
mechanic, teacher, lawyer, or physicist may not be able to function
independently when wishing to live alone and maintain a home. We don't
intend to let this happen, but the prospect is more than a doomsday thesis
around which some novel is based.
      One additional challenge faces us as we seek to avoid drowning in the
digital divide. Tremendous advances are being made in medical equipment.
Conditions which would once have required a prolonged hospital stay can now
be treated at home given equipment for monitoring and treatment. The
equipment communicates using a digital display but makes no provision for
nonvisual access. Sometimes input is through a touchscreen, sometimes
through buttons one cannot easily feel, and sometimes using buttons which
are activated not by a press but by a simple touch. Even when buttons are
detectable, too often there is no confirmation that one has been pushed or
that a longer-than-intended push has resulted in the machine concluding two
or more presses were intended. All of this screams of danger and
discrimination. It threatens our ability to take care of ourselves, our
children, our parents, and others who could benefit from our competent care
and compassion.
      What I intend to impart today is not a bleak picture for our future
but the challenges we must meet to have the future we want. As long as we
can articulate our needs, marshal the resources to meet them, and bend the
laws of our nations so that they acknowledge our right to live
independently, these things we now see as problems will appear in the
history books as accomplishments, not stumbling blocks. They will not be
what stopped us but what pushed us, both to solutions that solve today's
problems and that provide foundational answers for the challenges of
tomorrow. We must win because there is just too much at stake to lose.
Working together, we will have access that is affordable and efficient, and
we will take our place as productive members of our societies. This is the
promise we make to ourselves, and we always keep our promises, not only for
the blind of today but the blind of tomorrow. Let us do this together!
                                 ----------
              Statement of the National Federation of the Blind

  Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who
          Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled

Fifty-Sixth Series of Meetings of the WIPO Assemblies
October 5, 2016
by Mark Riccobono

>From the Editor: One priority of the World Blind Union is ratification of
the Marrakesh Treaty. We worked hard to see that it was drafted and adopted
by the World Intellectual Property Organization and to see that it was sent
to the Senate of the United States by the Obama Administration. In further
support of its ratification, President Riccobono delivered these remarks,
which applauds and acknowledges the accomplishment of the world body,
concedes that our nation must ratify the treaty, and encourages all nations
to work vigilantly for ratification. Here are his remarks:

      Today we come together to celebrate a historic milestone in the
struggle for equal rights and equal access to the world's knowledge by
blind people. We also come together to recommit ourselves to all of the
actions necessary to fulfill the human rights objectives that are at the
core of the Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for
Persons who are Blind, Visually Impaired, or otherwise Print Disabled.
      On behalf of the members of the National Federation of the Blind-the
oldest and largest national organization of the blind in the United States
of America-I would like to thank and congratulate the World Intellectual
Property Organization (WIPO) and each of its partners for the years of hard
work to establish this treaty and now bring it into force.
      The Marrakesh Treaty has been and will continue to be an urgent
priority for the National Federation of the Blind. Although the United
States has a well-developed network of authorized entities providing access
to published works through a variety of service models, even our access to
the world's knowledge is severely limited. By the best estimates, the blind
of the United States have access to less than 10 percent of published
works. This is not equality. We recognize the tremendous opportunities that
will come to blind people when they have equal access to all of the world's
knowledge, and we are firmly committed to pursuing the promise of the
Marrakesh Treaty until it is reality for all blind people.
      For us to realize that promise, we need all countries to ratify the
treaty as soon as possible. I regret that our own country, the United
States, has not yet completed the ratification process. In this forum I
challenge the United States Senate to make swift ratification of the
Marrakesh Treaty a top priority as a demonstration of support for equal
rights for the blind of our nation. I also encourage the leaders of other
countries to make this treaty a priority before the end of the year. In
addition, all stakeholders will need to commit to cooperation, innovation,
and communication to effectively accomplish global implementation of the
treaty. The National Federation of the Blind is committed to carrying its
share of the work, and we urge our global partners to do the same.
      With the Marrakesh Treaty we have unlocked the door to the world's
knowledge, and today we open that door for those countries that have
ratified the treaty. It is now time for us to build the pathway to that
door and ensure that all of the world's print disabled are on that path.
Access to the world's knowledge is a fundamental human right, and we thank
all those who have helped in the development of the Marrakesh Treaty and
those actively working for its implementation around the world.
                                 ----------
Invest in Opportunity
characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back. A donation to the National
Federation of the Blind allows you to invest in a movement that removes the
fear from blindness. Your investment is your vote of confidence in the
value and capacity of blind people and reflects the high expectations we
have for all blind Americans, combating the low expectations that create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

      In 2015 the NFB:
    . Gave away over four thousand long white canes to blind people across
      the country, empowering them to travel safely and independently
      throughout their communities.
    . Produced hands-on educational programming for hundreds of blind
      children, allowing them to access the essential building blocks for
      their future.
    . Provided one hundred thousand dollars in scholarships to blind
      students, making a post-secondary education affordable and attainable.
    . Delivered free audio newspaper and magazine services to more than one
      hundred thousand subscribers, providing access to the essential
      information necessary to be actively involved in their communities.

      Just imagine what we'll do next year, and, with your help, what can
be accomplished for years to come. Below are just a few of the many
diverse, tax-deductible ways you can lend your support to the National
Federation of the Blind.

Vehicle Donation Program
      The NFB now accepts donated vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats,
motorcycles, or recreational vehicles. Just call (855) 659-9314 toll-free,
and a representative can make arrangements to pick up your donation-it
doesn't have to be working. We can also answer any questions you have.

General Donation
      General donations help support the ongoing programs of the NFB and
the work to help blind people live the lives they want. Donate online with
a credit card or through the mail with check or money order. Visit
<www.nfb.org/make-gift> for more information.

Bequests
      Even if you can't afford a gift right now, including the National
Federation of the Blind in your will enables you to contribute by
expressing your commitment to the organization and promises support for
future generations of blind people across the country. Visit
<www.nfb.org/planned-giving> or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2422, for
more information.

Pre-Authorized Contribution
      Through the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program, supporters
sustain the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind by making
recurring monthly donations by direct withdraw of funds from a checking
account or a charge to a credit card. To enroll, visit <www.nfb.org/make-
gift>, and complete the Pre-Authorized Contribution form, and return it to
the address listed on the form.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Mark Jones]
                   Newer and Flashier is Not Always Better
                                by Mark Jones

      From the Editor: Mark Jones began working in radio in 1972, the same
year he joined the Federation. When he began that first job, he was told
that he could do airwork for remote broadcasts if he could sell the
airtime. Since he couldn't drive, he paid the thirteen-year-old kid across
the street to ride with him on a tandem bike to sell advertising. After
working at a few smaller stations, he wanted to move into bigger markets
but ran into difficulties. He would send out tapes of his airwork, but when
the stations found out he was blind, he was turned down for the jobs. So
Mark Jones decided to create his own radio station. Today he owns WVBG AM
and FM in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Mark is no stranger to challenges created
by others because of his blindness and the tools and technology that help
him surmount those challenges. He found in conversation with other
Federationists some attitudes toward technology that made him reconsider
exactly which tools he chooses to use daily, and why having the spiffiest
new technogizmo might not always be the best choice. Here's what he has to
say:

      Three years ago I was at the national convention, and a lady was
talking to me about people getting in touch with her. She said she had an
iPhone, she was trying to use it, but she was having a lot of trouble. She
remarked that she really loved her old flip phone because it was so much
easier for her to use. I started thinking about that, and I started
thinking about the things I do in my line of work every day. Some of you
may know that I'm in the radio business and own three stations in
Vicksburg, Mississippi. I do a variety of things in my job. Every weekday
I'm out making sales calls. I have a driver to get me to the stores and
businesses I call on. When I go into these businesses I can do many things
that help me get the correct advertising information for my clients. I can
write faster than any sighted person. In seconds I can look back and
quickly read a commercial I wrote for that client possibly four years
previously. When I'm walking into the store, if I've forgotten the name of
the person I'm going to see because I haven't been there in a while and
because I'm getting old, I can look the name up in seconds. I can bring
back the commercial I've written in Braille to the radio station and record
it onto our computer that schedules the commercials.
      Our station does a major promotion each December called The Christmas
Caroling Contest, where choirs, groups, and individuals sing, and we give
away $10,000 in prize money. I work with music teachers throughout the
area, put the shows together, and act as the master of ceremonies. I also
work on the air as a regular old disc jockey on occasion. I also work with
our bookkeeper to keep our deposits from advertising straight and our bills
paid.
      I'm not telling you this to toot my horn, but simply as something
instructive. How do I do all of this? With Braille. And what Braille device
do I use most often by far? An old Braille Lite 40. I will never forget
buying it. It was at the national convention in New Orleans, and the late
Dr. Tim Cranmer told me that I would never regret buying it, and he was
right. Of course, I use other technology: a Windows PC at the radio station
with a dedicated program on it, a BrailleNote for email and GPS wayfinding.
But the old simple Braille Lite is so much quicker, so much easier to use,
that I've found nothing beats it for productivity, and for what I do,
there's nothing more important than productivity.
      NFB state president, Gary Wunder, remarked recently to me in an email
that many young people like to use the same devices as their sighted peers
so they don't look blind. I have two comments about that: first, I normally
don't concern myself with someone thinking I look blind. Although some
people treat me differently from how they would a sighted person, most of
the people I run into every day treat me just like I think they would treat
a sighted person. If you are in sales, it's always good to be able to talk
to people about what they're interested in. So I talk to them about their
businesses, about SEC football, about their friends and families. If they
ask me about using my Braille Lite because they're curious about how it
works, I explain to them that the original device was really the first PDA
on the market called a Braille 'n Speak, and blind people had that before
sighted people did. I wish we were ahead of the curve on other technology.
      My second comment is that doing things to not look blind can get you
in trouble. I will never forget the Monitor article Gary Wunder wrote about
trying to go out without using a cane. That Monitor article vividly showed
how sometimes not using blindness tools can get us into very awkward
situations.
      Earlier I mentioned working with my bookkeeper. I keep a ledger of
all my checks. I have them all going back for the last twenty-three years,
written in hardcopy Braille on a Perkins Brailler, which I also use every
day to make my list of places to go and people to see for the next day. I
do this in hard copy so I can easily look at what I need to do on paper
without having to keep turning on my Braille Lite. This saves time.
      These days, companies seem to want to add more and more technology to
everything. Do sighted people like it? Not always. I was at a car
dealership recently, and we got into the discussion about the touchscreens
on the dashboards of cars. The lady told me that her daughter hated that
touchscreen system because she wanted to be able to use her radio like she
always had in the past, and this new high-tech dashboard made it much
harder. Many other sighted people have told me they would much rather use a
washer or dryer with the old, simple controls, not one that confronts you
with so many options and such a steep learning curve that you need a
college course on how to operate it. For the blind person, training is a
big issue. I come into contact with numerous vendors in the exhibit hall at
national conventions. Their devices will do all sorts of things, I believe
the majority of which will never be used by most who buy the products. But
there are some products that seem to do a great job because they just do a
thing or two and do it well. One example is the i.d. mate that reads
barcodes, and talking thermostats and Braille watches are useful devices as
well.
      In summation, I would like to see products every now and then that
are made for the blind person with the productivity of the blind person in
mind. I would also like to see more training so that we don't have to be a
technical wizard or have to spend several forty-hour weeks struggling with
a new device that was really designed for a sighted person.
      I think those who like iPhones-and yes I have one too-are correct in
admiring a company that has a little bit of concern for accessibility. But
I think that if we seriously looked at the few companies that make things
with the express purpose of productivity for the blind person, we would be
well served. Also, it's good to have choices. I have a friend in California
who loves HIMS products. He has a Braille Sense. I have been reasonably
satisfied with HumanWare's products. I just bought a new BrailleNote Touch,
and I'm learning to use it (actually writing on it at this minute composing
this article.) But do I wish to learn touch Braille on a touchscreen?
Absolutely not. I've been using a Braille keyboard since I was six years
old and don't plan to stop now. I love knobs and buttons, and I bet that
many of you do, too.
      I would like to know the thoughts of our members on this subject. I
think it would be interesting to know what blind people believe to be the
most productive tools in their lives. Hopefully they're still available.
Some that I use are not. So hopefully something similar will soon be on the
horizon.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Ray Kurzweil]
            How Exponential Technologies Will Impact Disabilities
                               by Ray Kurzweil

      From the Editor: Sometimes the struggle the blind have in dealing
with technological evolution can be maddening. Often we know that something
better is to come: devices that are more intuitive, easier to use, and cost
less. But at times that message is dwarfed by the need to live in the here
and now, to figure out how to do assignments today, how to find and buy
household equipment we can use. So it is that each year a man who can see a
bit further than we can tells us about the promises that wait just around
the corner and reminds us how important our role is in seeing that we can
use it.
      Ray Kurzweil is currently the vice president of development at
Google, and his long list of accomplishments, including the development of
the KNFB Reader, is well known to Federationists. Here is what he said to
the 2016 National Convention:

      I don't think I've had a musical introduction before. It's an honor
to be back with all of you: with President Riccobono, Jim Gashel, Mrs.
Jernigan, and all of my other friends here.
      How many of you came to your first National Federation of the Blind
convention in 1975 or earlier, raise your hand. Well, I see a few hands
here at the front table. But this is my forty-second convention, and it
continues to be a highlight of my year.
      I want to share a few reflections with you. I just came from an
onstage dialog with Mitt Romney-we tried to avoid talking about politics,
but that was hard to do in that case, and I'll try again to avoid politics-
but there's one point I made which I think is relevant to this gathering.
If we look at the intensity of the current presidential election, there
seems to be a sentiment on the right and on the left that things are
getting worse in the world. I've noticed this for a while. I travel around
the world, talk to people, and people think the world is getting worse,
which is not the case. Now there's still a lot of problems and a lot of
suffering, but by every measure the world is getting much better. The
problem is that our information about what's wrong with the world is
getting exponentially better. A century ago there could be a battle that
wiped out the next village, and you'd never hear about it. Now an incident
halfway around the world-we not only hear about it, we viscerally
experience it. That's actually a good thing because it motivates us to fix
the problems in the world, but it gives people the wrong impression. The
way they try to figure out if the world is getting better or worse is how
often do they hear about some outrage, and how often do they hear about
things getting better.
      It's actually part of our evolutionary heritage that we're very
attuned to problems, because, if you were aware of potential problems, that
was good for survival. We don't really take notice of things that are
getting better, but I'll mention just a few of the things that are getting
better, and then I'll come to my experience with the National Federation of
the Blind, where things are definitely getting better.
      Steven Pinker in his book The Better Angels of Our Nature documents
an exponential decline in violence. I point out to people that this is the
least violent period in human history, and people say, "What are you,
crazy? Don't you pay attention to the news? There were just violent
incidents yesterday and the day before that and so forth."
      Well your chance of actually being killed in either interpersonal
violence or state-sponsored violence is hundreds of times less than it was
a few centuries ago when there was extreme scarcity of resources and
disputes were settled violently. This is the most prosperous time in human
history. The World Bank reported that poverty in Asia has been cut by 90
percent over the last fifteen years, and all societies, including Africa
and South America, are making substantial economic gains.
      This is by far the most informative period. I remember that I saved
up for years from my paper route as a teenager to buy an Encyclopedia
Britannica for $1,000, which was a lot of money to a teenager in the early
1960s. Today you get a far better encyclopedia for free, and this is one of
the literally millions of resources we have at our fingertips that really
don't cost us anything.
      Economic statistics factor out the progress we're making. A kid in
Africa who pays $30 for her smart phone: that counts as $30 of economic
activity, despite the fact that it's a trillion dollars of computation,
communication, and information technology circa 1968. We're actually
doubling the value of information technology every year for the same price,
but that's factored out of the economic statistics.
      Together with these exponential gains in technology, we're also
seeing gradual progress in human understanding, freedom, liberty, equality,
recognition of equal rights. My family's been very involved in these
movements. It goes back to the nineteenth century. My mother's mother's
mother started the first school in Europe that provided higher education
for girls. This was the Stern Schule in 1868 in Vienna. If you were lucky
enough as a girl to get an education at all in 1868 Europe, it went through
ninth grade; this went through fourteenth grade, from kindergarten all
through high school and the first two years of college. She went around
Europe lecturing on the importance of girls' education, and that was very
controversial. People did not understand: "What's the point of educating a
girl?" That was a difficult question to answer, but she answered it, and
then her daughter became the first woman in Europe to get a PhD in
chemistry and went around Europe lecturing on chemistry and on girls'
education and took over the school. Between the two of them they ran it for
seventy years and then fled Hitler in 1938.
      I came along in 1948 and in the 1950s went with my mother to civil
rights marches in Washington and the South. I was actually at several
events-marches-lead by Dr. Martin Luther King, and I felt fortunate that I
could live in a period with such a great leader and to actually directly
experience such inspiring oratory. I felt the same way in 1975 coming to my
first National Federation of the Blind convention to hear the equally
inspiring oratory of Dr. Kenneth Jernigan [applause]. I really felt the
same way-that I was fortunate to be able to experience the inspirational
leadership of these two great leaders.
      That brings me to this theme of the world getting better, but not
reaching perfection. I just heard Amy's [Buresh] inspiring story. I
remember when I came to the NFB in 1975 that people were warning me, "Are
you sure you want to get involved with this organization? They're really
quite a radical organization." I thought to myself, gee, that's a good
thing. I'd gone to lots of other organizations with my technology for
reading for the blind, and they all were very friendly and wished me well.
It was actually Dr. Jernigan and the NFB that provided the resources-
including eight blind scientists and engineers that worked very closely
with us under the leadership of Mike Hingson, and we would not have
succeeded without the National Federation of the Blind [applause].
      Things are certainly far better for blind people. Blind people are
now reaching the top levels of success in every field; that was really much
more limited when I became involved with this organization in 1975.
Tremendous progress has been made in the human realm of equal rights and
tolerance and equality, but, like everything else, we haven't reached
perfection. You can see from Amy's litany-I'm sure we'll hear from Mr.
Riccobono's inspiring talk tonight-that there's still a lot of progress to
be made, still a lot of intolerance and lack of understanding. But the
world has come a long way in terms of understanding the ability of all
people to contribute.
      Remember that we have the exponential gains of technology. Very
briefly, the first reading machine cost $50,000, but we brought it down
quickly to $20,000. Now we have a reading machine for $20, and it's far
better than the one back then for $20,000. That comes from the exponential
gains of information technology. We basically double price performance
every year in every type of information technology. We put some of that
improved price performance into price, so prices come down by a factor of
one thousand in this field for example, while at the same time performance
goes up.
      People say, "Okay, well that's true of that sort of strange area of
the economy having to do with devices and electronics and information, but
you can't eat information technology, you can't build a house with
information technology." All of that's going to change as well. We're
applying information technology to medicine, understanding the information
processes underlying biology, so we'll have great advances in our health.
This is actually now starting to influence clinical practice. We're going
to see a great revolution in improving our health over the next decade.
We're developing three-dimensional printing, so we're going to be able to
print out the things we need, including food and clothing. In fact, the
first house to be snapped together in a couple of days was recently put
together in Asia with little modules snapped together like LEGO bricks
printed out by a 3-D printer. That was an experiment, but that's the kind
of thing we're going to see in the 2020s.
      This revolution of price performance is going to transform everything
we care about. But we still need human understanding, first of all to apply
these advances so they really benefit people. The Kurzweil Reading Machine
would not have really succeeded if we hadn't worked very closely-not just
getting general advice but working intimately with the blind engineers and
scientists of the National Federation of the Blind, and that's continued to
be a collaboration of forty-two years, which is really the aspect of my
career that I'm most proud of [applause].
      We're going to have some fantastic capabilities emerging over the
decades ahead. We'll be able to transmit information directly from our
brains and into our brains. How should we apply that to people who are
visually impaired? It's a very good thing that we have the National
Federation of the Blind to guide us in that endeavor.
      So this has been the first forty-two years of my relationship; I look
forward to the next forty-two years, and we'll continue with our
exponential progress both in technology and in human understanding. Thank
you very much.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Kevin Lynch]
     National Industries for the Blind: Continuing to Raise Expectations
                           and Create Opportunities
                               by Kevin Lynch

      From the Editor: I can do no better job in introducing this article
than did President Riccobono in his remarks welcoming Kevin Lynch to the
stage at the 2016 National Convention on July 3, 2016. Here is what the
President said:
      "Our next program item and last program item for the afternoon is
National Industries for the Blind: Continuing to Raise Expectations and
Create Opportunities. You heard in the Presidential Report that we have
been actively engaging with National Industries for the Blind. We have been
having a very honest dialog about the past and also the future, and I think
that we have come to find that National Industries for the Blind is
sincerely interested in addressing our concerns and raising expectations as
evidenced partly by the fact that they have almost completely eliminated
the use of 14(c) in all of the NIB-associated shops across the country
[applause]. They have instituted other organizational policies that make it
clear they have a real dedication to this. They're also trying to navigate
other concerns that we brought to them, and in some ways they're fixing
problems before we know about them, which is a good sign of leadership.
      One of the reasons is their president and CEO, Kevin Lynch. We've
been engaging with Kevin over the last couple years, and I have found, and
I think you will find, that Kevin is sincerely working to find ways to link
arms, not just symbolically with the National Federation of the Blind, but
at a very deep level wants to be partnered with the National Federation of
the Blind because he knows it is the right place to be. Here is the
president and CEO of National Industries for the Blind, Kevin Lynch:"

      Good afternoon, everyone. Mark, thank you so much for the
introduction and also for inviting me to be here today. I have to say,
though, it's a little bit of a challenge coming after Dr. Maurer and Kathy
Martinez, both of whom I respect greatly for their knowledge and also the
influence they have provided to me over the years. I'd also like to
recognize a few other people who have been helpful that are in the
audience: Dr. Schroeder, as well as Don Morris and Jim Omvig. I'm very
grateful for those individuals and the friendship and the wisdom they have
provided.
      For those of you who aren't familiar with National Industries for the
Blind, our mission is to enhance the independence of people who are blind.
We work with a nationwide network of nonprofit agencies to create and
sustain employment for people who are blind in many different career
fields. And, like NFB, we've been around for a long time, nearly eighty
years in fact. And through strengthening partnerships with organizations
like NFB, we are making progress. Together we've broken down the
misconceptions and the barriers they create in expanding career options for
people who are blind.
      NIB's roots are in the manufacturing industry, and manufacturing
continues to provide a significant number of jobs to people who are blind.
We are proud to be one of the nation's largest networks involved in the
fields of sewing products, paper converting, and other product lines like
fire hose assembly. A lot of these industries left the United States of
America and went overseas. Today there's hundreds more products assembled
and packaged by Americans who are blind [applause].
      We are very proud to supply uniforms and equipment to our military
personnel to help keep them safe when in harm's way. We also provide
prescription eyewear for our nation's veterans and ensure that their
prescriptions are safely protected by the plastic vials that we make. Today
we're producing cutting-edge, environmentally-friendly cleaning products,
and more recently we began developing LED lighting, which will reduce the
government's consumption of electricity.
      Over the years we've evolved. We've demonstrated that, with the right
training and assistive technology, people who are blind can work in any
career field [cheers]. Today we provide more career options for people who
are blind than at any other time in our seventy-seven year history. For
example: a decade ago we recognized the need to provide opportunities in
professional services for an emerging generation of highly-educated people
who are blind. Now people who are blind work at NIB networks and are
operating 24/7 contact centers. They're closing out contracts that return
hundreds of millions of dollars to the federal government, and they're
managing complex supply chains that deliver critical goods and services to
government and military personnel around the world. We are very proud of
these successes, but what we see as the ultimate goal is the growing trend
of our employees being hired by the federal government as defense prime
contractors. That's a success.
      We recognize that to build successful careers, our employees need
more than just the job opportunity. They also need the right professional
training and development. NIB launched the Business Leaders Program, which
has helped more than 8,000 people who are blind build their business acumen
through formal training and on-the-job experience. Graduates from the
programs are now call center supervisors, base supply center store
managers, and CEOs of our associated agencies and national organizations
[applause]. Last year NIB partnered with George Mason University to
strengthen our business management training program and develop a new
generation of leaders. As we look to the future NIB will continue to focus
on making investments in programs designed to increase choices, remove the
perceived barriers, and fill the expectations of all of our employees.
      These investments start with the basics, what you would expect from
any employer in any industry: competitive wages, not subminimum wages;
positive and diverse work environments; opportunities for advancement; and
professional development and training. We've also made investments to help
people who are blind stay competitive in the job market. We launched a
hands-on training program called Promote to prepare people who are blind
for careers requiring advanced technical skills. Last fall eight employees
who are blind completed this intensive four-week program that provides
advanced computer software training, and we are getting ready to launch our
second round of classes. We've also launched a pilot program to help ensure
people who are blind build the technical skills needed for careers in the
high-demand field of cyber security. Twenty people who are blind completed
this training program that prepares participants to take and pass their A+
certification.
      Like the NFB we also take strong positions on important issues
affecting people who are blind: like our strong stance on the payment of at
least the federal minimum wage; or recognizing the freedom of individuals
who are blind to make informed choices about where to work, just like
anyone else; or calling on Congress to do more to remove the cash cliff
barrier for Social Security Disability Insurance. We've launched our
Advocates for Leadership and Employment Program to empower people who are
blind to engage members of Congress and their staffs about these important
issues. NIB's advocates program has today grown to twenty-six advocates,
who are successfully keeping these and other issues front-and-center among
lawmakers.
      Now while we are proud of our accomplishments, we also recognize that
there's more to be accomplished. We need to bring all of our associated
agencies up to the best-in-class standards we all expect. Today, out of the
sixty-five producing-associated agencies, we still have two that are paying
less than minimum wage. As Dr. Maurer once said to me, "Even one agency
paying less than minimum wage is too many." And we agree.
      The NIB board wholeheartedly agrees and has put into place a variety
of incentive programs that are only available to agencies that make this
commitment. Furthermore, no nonprofit executive who pays less than minimum
wage can sit on the NIB board. We have to ensure that NIB and our
associated agencies continue to advance modern disability policies and also
work to change perceptions about what people who are blind can do in the
workplace.
      NIB has a major role in investing in new, innovative opportunities to
offer many types of employment choices. For example, we are working on ways
we can encourage and assist individuals who have the entrepreneurial spirit
and desire to become business owners. Adding this resource to NIB's
offerings will give a full range of employment and career options.
      Now we know that success requires strong partnerships with
organizations like NFB. I fully encourage and support the ongoing
opportunity to listen to ideas and proposals from across the disability
community so that we are working to develop effective solutions together.
Thank you, National Federation of the Blind, for the important work and
advocacy you provide. NIB is committed to work with you in advancing
opportunities for all people who are blind. Thank you very much.
                                 ----------
                                   Recipes

      This month's recipes come from the National Federation of the Blind
of Colorado.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Maureen at the blender with a batch of Go Broncos Orange
Julius]

                          Go Broncos Orange Julius

                             by Maureen Nietfeld

      Something cool and healthy for the Super Bowl V Champion fans! There
are more than a few at the Colorado Center for the Blind [CCB], and about
twenty-five students and staff attended the one million-strong Broncos
Super Bowl Victory parade on February 9:

Ingredients:
6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
5 ice cubes

Method: Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth and
frothy. Serve and enjoy!
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Jay displays a hotel tray of Sweet Ham and Swiss Sliders]

                         Sweet Ham and Swiss Sliders

                                 by Jay Cole

      Oh yes, these are great appetizers or finger food, but one of our
students recently did this for his grad meal to great acclaim!

Ingredients:
12 Hawaiian rolls cut in half
12 slices honey-roasted ham
12 slices baby swiss cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
4 tablespoons butter melted
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/4 cup brown sugar

      Method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet place
bottom half of dinner rolls and top each with one slice of ham and one
slice of Swiss cheese. Place the top of the roll on the ham and cheese. You
want the rolls to be snug together, kissing just a bit so the sauce can
soak up into all of the nooks and crannies. In a small bowl combine the
mustard, melted butter, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds,
and brown sugar. Mix until combined and pour evenly over the assembled
rolls. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake covered
with foil for ten minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional five
to ten minutes or until the tops are browned and cheese is good and melted.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Dishon and Marisol eating hummus]

                                   Hummus

                    by Dishon Spears and Marisol Carmona

      This is a standard teaching recipe at CCB. It involves more than one
stage in preparation and is a great introduction to using the food
processor, so every student makes this eventually.

Ingredients:
2 cans garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon tahini paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic
1 cup olive oil

      Method: In a food processor add garlic and process until well minced.
Add remaining ingredients and process till very smooth. Serve with warm
pita, cut up veggies, or corn chips.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Warren leans in to savor the smell of Pikes Peak Pecan
Pie.]

                            Pikes Peak Pecan Pie

                              by Warren Knight

      This is a big hit at the Thanksgiving meal our students prepare and
serve in mid-November. After eating, we go around the room and say
something we're grateful for.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter melted
2 eggs
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans

      Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs; stir in melted
butter; add sugar and flour. Then add milk, vanilla, and nuts. Pour in pie
shell and bake at 350 degrees for forty minutes or until pie sets up and is
not liquid anymore.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Delphina and Farhan hold up a Christmas batch of Pecan
French Toast Bake]

                           Pecan French Toast Bake

                   by Delphina Rodriguez and Farhan Ahmed

      This is a favorite at our annual Christmas brunch on the last day
before the holiday break. Maybe it's the association with the Secret Santa
gift exchange that always follows, but we're willing to bet you'll love it!

Ingredients:
1 loaf sliced challah bread
3 cups half and half
2 tablespoons maple syrup
8 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

      Method: Lightly spray a 13-by-9-inch pan with a cooking spray. Lay
the slices of bread into the pan; they will stack on top of each other. In
a mixing bowl combine half and half, eggs, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and maple
syrup. Pour this mixture over bread, making sure to get the milk in between
the layers. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
      In a separate bowl combine chopped butter, chopped pecans, brown
sugar, and cinnamon. Make this into a crumble. This gets placed on top of
your bread. You can add before you refrigerate or wait until you are ready
to bake it the next morning.
      Put in a 350 degree oven for thirty minutes covered, then remove
cover and continue to bake for an additional twenty minutes.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Michelle stirring an electric skillet of Chacon's Green
Chile]
                            Chacon's Green Chile
                             by Michelle Chacon

      The autumn smell of roasting green chiles at an outdoor vegetable
stand is one of the quintessential experiences of Colorado, surpassed only
by Michelle Chacon's recipe. After her teaching duties are done each year,
Michelle teaches at our Confidence Camp for elementary kids and coordinates
the NFB of Colorado's BELL programs, as well as serving as North Metro
chapter president. Cooking is how she relaxes.

Ingredients:
4 to 6 pork chops
1 onion
Several garlic cloves
10 to 20 green chiles cleaned, chopped and seeded if you do not want your
chiles too hot
1/3 cup flour
8 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro, sour cream, and cheese

      Method: Brown pork chops in a large heavy frying pan. Remove chops
and cut up in to small pieces. In the frying pan, next sauti onion, garlic
and chiles. Simmer for about ten minutes on low. Put pork and chile mixture
into a large Dutch oven. Mix in flour and chicken broth. Stir constantly
until mixture thickens. Add salt and pepper and any other ingredients that
you would like. Simmer for at least thirty minutes to blend flavors. Serve
with cilantro, sour cream, etc. Can use this to top burritos at well.
                                 ----------
                             Monitor Miniatures

      News from the Federation Family

Celebrate the Holiday Season with a Gift to the National Federation of the
Blind:
      Have you received gifts from the National Federation of the Blind?
Lots of us have. One man expressed what our gift meant to him by saying:
"It is great to know there are still people in this world who care about
other people besides themselves. Your gift of a white cane could not have
come at a better time for me! My wonderful wife of forty-three years, who
has Alzheimer's, has moved to an assisted living facility. The only place I
could find a cane was at the Lighthouse for the Blind in San Antonio,
Texas. It's a fourteen-hour roundtrip for me, and I can't drive anymore.
What you have done for me I will remember for the rest of my life."
      We give people free white canes, literacy, and confidence. If you
have gained from contact with the NFB or NFB members, enjoyed our
publications, or participated in an academy or program, we are asking you
to give back. Celebrate the holiday season by donating much needed funds.
It is easy. You can mail a donation or give online.
      To mail your donation simply make out your check to the National
Federation of the Blind. Please mail it to the NFB, Attention: Outreach,
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230.
      To give online visit our web page by going to <www.nfb.org> and click
on the "donate now" button.
      Help us all live the lives we want.

Washington Seminar Reservations:
      This message from Diane McGeorge is to advise all of you that the
Washington Seminar will be held January 29 to February 2, 2017, with the
Great Gathering In taking place on Monday, January 30. Additionally, I want
to remind you that I am no longer managing reservations for this event.
With the Holiday Inn Capitol's progressive policy changes, we turned
reservations over to the hotel beginning with our 2016 Washington Seminar
and going forward. The reservation process is very standard, requiring
check-in and check-out dates only, just as you experience with national
conventions. This process will allow you to have full control of your
reservations and any changes you need to make.
      You can now reserve a room at the Holiday Inn Capitol (550 C Street,
SW, Washington, DC 20024) for Washington Seminar for check-in beginning
Saturday, January 28, 2017, check-out Friday, February 3, 2017. The rate is
$188.00 per night. This rate does not include DC sales tax, currently 14.5
percent. You may begin booking reservations directly online by clicking on
the web link below. You may also make reservations by calling (877) 572-
6951 and referencing booking code F7B. Credit card information is needed at
the time of reservation. The individual cancellation policy is seventy-two
hours prior to date of arrival to avoid one night's room plus tax
cancellation charge on the credit card provided. If your departure date
changes, you must inform the hotel seventy-two hours in advance of
departure to avoid a $100 fee. Please call (877) 572-6951 and reference
your confirmation number. Please obtain a cancellation number when
cancelling a reservation. The firm deadline date to make a reservation is
Wednesday, December 28, 2016. Reservation requests received after the
deadline date will be subject to availability and prevailing rate.
      If you would like to hold a special meeting during the Washington
Seminar, please email Lisa Bonderson at <lbonderson at cocenter.org> just as
you have done in past years. She and I will work with the hotel on the
assignment of those meeting rooms. To ensure that you get the space you
need, please let us know of your meeting space needs by December 9, 2016.
      Lisa and I will always be available to help you with any problems you
might experience with the booking of your hotel reservations. We have
worked closely with the hotel staff, and they are looking forward to
working with each affiliate or group wanting to make reservations.
      See you in Washington!

A Group in the Planning:
      Come, one and all, blind and visually impaired Federationists who
have cerebral palsy, to create an active, lively, independent, and vibrant
group of blind and visually impaired Americans with cerebral palsy. The
purpose of this group will be to provide support and advocacy to those of
us who share two disabilities and must devise strategies to deal with each
singly and together.
      Meetings will be held by conference call on the first Sunday of the
month (except in July when the meeting will be held on the fourth Sunday,
and November when it will be held on the last Sunday) from 8:00 to 10:00 PM
Eastern Time starting on Sunday, November 27, 2016. The conference phone
number is (218) 339-3814. Enter pin 999999#.
      We hope to hold a face-to-face meeting at the July 2017 national
convention in Orlando, Florida. To assist in developing this group, contact
Alexander Scott Kaiser by Braille, snail-mail, on Skype, by phone, or by
email. His postal address is 52 Meadowbrook Road, Brick Township, New
Jersey 08723-7850. His email address is <Kaiser999 at gmx.us>. He may be
reached using Skype with the name <askaiser999999>, or by phone at (848)
205-0208.

Books by Jerry Whittle Now Available on Amazon Kindle:
      Try out your new Amazon e-reader with the following books by Jerry
Whittle, available on Amazon Kindle e-books for $2.99 each: Slingshot, a
baseball novel; Standing with Better Angels, about a blind minister;
Honeysuckle Time, a Civil War novel; Two Hearts Make a Bridge, a love
story; A Little Ball of Anger, a young blind man's struggle with a horrible
decision; No Town to Dishonor Nature, a young man rebels against his father
and leaves home; Growing Up in Clemson, a memoir of the Fifties; Clemson in
the Sixties, seeking manhood in troubled times; and Santa Rides Again, a
Christmas story for all ages.

                                  In Brief

      Notices and information in this section may be of interest to Monitor
readers. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information; we
have edited only for space and clarity.

A Reminder about Ski for Light:
      Don't forget that the Application deadline for Ski for Light is this
month. Visit <www.sfl.org> to apply for this year's annual week of skiing,
sharing, and learning in Colorado, February 5 through 12, 2017.
Applications are now being accepted on a space available basis only.

NASA Summer Internships Available:
      NASA is looking to increase the number of students with disabilities
pursuing science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers through
our regular internship programs. This is not a program for students with
disabilities. We are trying to recruit more students with disabilities into
our regular internship programs. Disability means both physical and mental
disabilities. NASA has a 2 percent hiring goal for employment of people
with disabilities, and internships are a good way to get experience.
However, this is not an employment program. NASA jobs can be found at
<http://www.usajobs.gov>. Students can apply for Summer 2017 internships on
or about November 10, 2016. The deadline for submitting applications will
be on or about March 1, 2017. We will begin extending offers to students in
mid-to-late January and will continue until all positions are filled.
      If you would like to subscribe to an announcement-only list about
NASA internships for persons with disabilities, please send an email to
<nasainterns-request at freelists.org> with 'subscribe' in the Subject field
or by visiting the list page at
<http://www.freelists.org/list/nasainterns>.
      We encourage you to apply early because the best opportunities are
likely to be filled quickly; plus your likelihood of being selected
decreases the longer you wait. Don't be surprised if you don't see many
internship opportunities in November. They start to appear in numbers in
mid-to-late December. You can register for an account anytime at the One
Stop Shopping Initiative (OSSI): NASA Internships, Fellowships, and
Scholarships (NIFS) at <http://intern.nasa.gov/>. All material that you
wish to have considered must be uploaded to the OSSI website. No
documentation will be accepted that is emailed or snail mailed.
      Summer 2017 internships run from early June through early August for
undergraduate and graduate students. Internships run from late June through
early August for high school students. All student interns get paid. The
high school stipend for summer 2016 was $2,100 for a six-week internship.
The summer 2016 undergraduate stipend for a ten-week internship was $6,000.
The summer 2016 graduate stipend for a ten-week internship was $7,500. As
an intern, you are responsible for your own housing. NASA internships for
college and high school students are also offered during spring, fall, and
year-long sessions through the OSSI website.
      NASA has internships for high school students and for rising freshmen
through doctoral students in STEM fields. A rising freshman is a high
school student who has been accepted to an accredited institution of higher
learning, i.e. a college or university, at the time of the internship.
      Applicants must be US citizens, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for college
and 3.0 for high school; however, applicants must understand that the
competition for internships is keen. High school students must be at least
sixteen years old at the time the internship begins.
      Internships are available at all NASA centers nationwide. It is
important to remember that applying is a two-step process. The first step
is to fill out everything in OSSI. The second step is to select and apply
to specific internship opportunities. Students can submit a completed
application whether they apply to an opportunity or not. However, applying
to opportunities has the advantage of allowing applicants to be considered
by mentors who work in disciplines of interest and at a particular center.
Applicants may apply to as many as fifteen opportunities.
      For example, an opportunity having to do with the Solar Dynamics
Observatory (SDO) will be at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland
because SDO is located there. Not applying to an opportunity means that
prospective interns will be hoping that a mentor happens to read their
applications rather than directing their applications to mentors in fields
and at centers of interest.
      Students who are selected for summer internships will receive an
offer letter by email sometime after mid-January 2017. They will then have
five calendar days to either accept or reject the offer through their OSSI:
NIFS account. The offer will automatically expire after five calendar days
if no action is taken.
      Please feel free to contact me for more information or help with
applying:

Kenneth A. Silberman, Esq.
U.S. Supreme Court, Maryland, & Patent Bars
B.A., M.Eng., J.D.
NASA Engineer & Registered Patent Attorney
Education Office Code 160
NASA/GSFC Mailstop 160
Bldg. 28 Rm. N165
Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
Voice: (301) 286-9281
Fax: (301) 286-1655
Email: kenneth.a.silberman at nasa.gov
Office Location: Building 28 Room W151
                                 NFB Pledge
      I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.